Page 220 of 255 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 3813

Thread: WTC Transit Hub - by Santiago Calatrava

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    A few days ago I took BART from SFO across the bay and back. Air train from the terminal then 1 BART train non-stop to my destination. All in less than one hour, at the peak of rush traffic. What is NYC waiting for?
    You can get to all three NYC airports by public transit in about the same timeframe.

Yeah, but the ride isn't nearly as sweet. Nevermind all the staircases involved.

Forum Veteran

the times is already complaining about aesthetic flaws

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/ny...lity.html?_r=0

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The Times has a point though.

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    the times is already complaining about aesthetic flaws

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/ny...lity.html?_r=0
    He's reaching for a story that's not really there. If you erect a 100+' piece of art on the side of a train track it's going to interfere with some sort of essential mechanism. And as for the actual beams and columns being only 99.9% of the quality of the renders....he needs to get real.

It's a train station not a watch they're making.

I'm glad they're covering this, hopefully it will implore them to design some kind of a more aesthetically pleasing casing for that signal. It's a two line system, one would think that they don't need some sort of grand innovation to mask it.

Too many people keep expecting the new WTC to be 100% perfect. A vast majority of the artwork in MTA's subway stations are obscured bys signals, tunnel columns, supports, cables, and other forms of utilities. What makes this station any different?

Yeah, but that happened over many decades, as equipment needs changed.

This is brand new. It's not a question of the signal blocking the artwork, but the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Yeah, but that happened over many decades, as equipment needs changed.

This is brand new. It's not a question of the signal blocking the artwork, but the other way around.
    Pretty sure train signals have certain standards that they need to follow and one cannot just easily modify their look.

And the artwork was donated to the WTC back in 2003... It used to be in the mezzanine of the temp station before they moved it to the platforms, so its not like they commissioned it specifically for this space.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's still artwork.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I'm more bothered by the rough finish of the swooping beams (they look good in photographs but when you see them in person, it's like "WTF?")

Why is it that malls can achieve a more sleek appearance than this place that costs $4 billion?

The PA's excuse is that it would be too expensive or time consuming to smooth out the surface. What?

Default re

my biggest gripe. The stairs and escalators are insufficient. At the temporary station - due to construction, there have not been enough egresses. This causes a mad rush to the stairs on exiting from the train during rush hour. I have seen pushing, yelling, and even people getting injured and falling to the ground just trying to get to the stairs.

This new platform has the same problem! Its incredible. Its nice that its not just cement and plywood, but jeeez I would have expected the egresses to be thought out and there not to be in a shoving match every day.

I wrote to the port authority and they wrote back that this platform will be an exit only, but still there simply aren't enough exit stairs/escalators for rush hour. You would think this would have been more though out. The stairs are too narrow and the escalators are too few. I only hope that this get resolved when the other platforms are opened.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes one would hope so, considering the station's unfortunate past -

^^I think when the other platforms open the trains coming in will (hopefully) open on both sides reducing demand at any single exit. There are a lot of tracks total for what amounts to 2 lines terminating at the station. One thing I do wonder is what the path to the street will be in the future when the permanent station opens up. Is everyone going to be funneled up the small stair at the foot of the Calatrava Oculus? It'l be interesting to see, and I'd hope they would have thought these things out for the price involved.

EDIT: Looking at old photos of the track layout, there aren't any tracks that are flanked on both sides by a platform, but all the other platforms that will open will be significantly wider, (and have wider stairs)
    Last edited by JSsocal; March 6th, 2014 at 01:03 PM.