Page 232 of 255 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 3813

Thread: WTC Transit Hub - by Santiago Calatrava

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The connecting pipe is permanent.
    It goes along with the overall "beefing up" of the oculus. That was what I was trying to say with the rack [I know it's lamb, but "lambing up" doesn't work].

The original design was substantially changed because of security concerns. The number of portals-elbows-rafters has been doubled. I also think that the thickness of each component has been increased. It's part of the reason costs have soared.
    Tickness has remained the same, 1' 0 3/4". The technical term of the "pipes" connecting the rafters is named purlin system.

The original design also had the portals and glass running to ground level. Now there will be a perimeter base wall [hopefully 3 feet or less]. Like the connecting pipe, it's a minor thing, but it will detract from the gracefulness of the structure.
    Yes, this is partially correct. Marble seats will get attached to the perimeter of the Oculus. Seats are oriented outwards, people won't be able to see the lower floors inside.

I said about a month ago that the building still looked monumental [meaning big], but it's no bird. I don't think you can fairly judge it until the cranes, scaffolding, clamps, and other assorted construction stuff are removed; and everything is painted white.

We'll see.
    It may fail to resemble a bird, but it certainly is an improvement from the previous desing with the moving wings.

The integration of the purlins was inevitable, I don't understand why the CG artists failed to include them.

Quote Originally Posted by LemSkroob View Post
    Also, its a shame that an art museum in Milwaukee can have an operable roof, but we can't get that in New York City.
    We'll get an operable skylight.

Last edited by O' Daniel; September 20th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

I thought that this too was VE'd out of the final design?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

So did I -

Quote Originally Posted by O' Daniel View Post
    The integration of the purlins was inevitable, I don't understand why the CG artists failed to include them.

Indeed a bad omission.... It is still a grandiose structure but the wings do lose a bit of gracefulness/elegance with them bars.

We'll get an operable skylight.

Operable in what respect? Opens to allow light in or opens to the air?

I imagine there would be a fairly specific and narrow set of climate parameters to open a space like this to the air?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    Operable in what respect? Opens to allow light in or opens to the air?

I imagine there would be a fairly specific and narrow set of climate parameters to open a space like this to the air?
    Skylight is made of glass and steel. It will open to the air, weather permitting, no strict parameters, the whole hub is climate-controlled and can be adjusted with exterior conditions before opening (particularly air pressure/density). Skylight opening will be reserved for very special events, such as the 9/11 anniversary, merely symbolic (insert here your interpretation).

Can you show us where your getting this info?
    I could swear I read about this feature being removed from the final design.

Unless it's been changed again in the last two years, a contract to build the skylight was awarded to a company called Enclos in 2012.

Tickness has remained the same, 1' 0 3/4". The technical term of the "pipes" connecting the rafters is named purlin system.

Yes, this is partially correct. Marble seats will get attached to the perimeter of the Oculus. Seats are oriented outwards, people won't be able to see the lower floors inside.

It may fail to resemble a bird, but it certainly is an improvement from the previous desing with the moving wings.

With and Without the Purlins is a pretty significant difference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_Transit_Hall2.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	18008

a contract to build the skylight was awarded to a company called Enclos in 2012.
    yes, acknowledged...but will it still open?

The skylight is still described as operable on the Enclos website.

The confusion may be that two elements were eliminated at about the same time - the pivoting wings and the skylights set into the memorial plaza.

Follow the "operable wings were eliminated" link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/ny...dest.html?_r=0

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

And shut?

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Can you show us where your getting this info?
    I could swear I read about this feature being removed from the final design.
    Let us say I know a couple of guys down there.

Unless it's been changed again in the last two years, a contract to build the skylight was awarded to a company called Enclos in 2012.
    Yes, Enclos also won the contract for the glass envelope between the portal frames. Mobilization of material on site began a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    yes, acknowledged...but will it still open?
    Yes.

Glass modules will slide through rails, which will be mounted on top of the supports. Skylight folks, materials and a crane will be movilized on site once the structure is completed and turned over (Skanska is the contractor for the Oculus steel).