Page 245 of 255 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 3813

Thread: WTC Transit Hub - by Santiago Calatrava

Opening 2050.

Forum Veteran

woof woof

Forum Veteran

The panels are already dusty....

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    Wall Street Journal
    May 19, 2015

World Trade Center Station’s Troubles Take Toll on Architect

‘I have been treated like a dog,’ says architect Santiago Calatrava

By ELIOT BROWN

The experience at the station has been mirrored by numerous other large-scale infrastructure projects in New York. Among the projects are the Fulton Center subway station revamp, which cost $1.4 billion, almost double the initial $750 million estimate, and the creation of a new station for Long Island Rail Road under Grand Central currently under way, set to cost as much as $10 billion, up from a planned $4.3 billion.

Copyright ©2015 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The doubling in budget of these projects are par for the course of developing in this muddled city and it is not just relegated to the PATH station. Saying so is just being naïve to reality, or you are just cherry-picking.

The real question is, why aren't they consistently getting the numbers right the first time? Something is ineptly/negligently/nefariously not being accounted for; you can only be oblivious for so long. Its a dilapidated comptroller process that leads to this perennial inaccuracy and public dismay/backlash afterwards.

Wuhan will have 100 bridges and 200 PATH stations designed by the dog before this wreck opens to the public.

If it is indeed a "wreck", it's only that way due to the constant changes and incompetence of the PA (and numerous other crooked officials) with their hands in the pot.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    The real question is, why aren't they consistently getting the numbers right the first time? Something is ineptly/negligently/nefariously not being accounted for; you can only be oblivious for so long. Its a dilapidated comptroller process that leads to this perennial inaccuracy and public dismay/backlash afterwards.
    Absolutely correct. Obviously a lot of factors go into this, but one factor is that you have to be a qualified contractor to bid on government projects. That's a lot of bureaucratic red tape to navigate and some of the better/efficient contractors don't bother. The ones that do are essentially career bureaucracy experts who know how to game and play the system to their advantage, sometimes according to the rules and sometimes bending the rules based on their knowledge of how things work.

It seems to me that one of the most straightforward remedies is to contract out for work with hard costs. Any overruns must be born by the contractor

And then what happens when a PA person wants something moved 5 feet that way? Does the contractor bear that cost?

I'm telling you, 'overruns' happen because of systematic under-budgeting in the beginning. Not because of unexpected costs at the end. I wrote a big long thing about this a page or two back.

Cost overruns are noticeable in public projects because the financing is a matter of public record.

Not so for private projects.

Does anyone here know how far over budget 56 Leonard is?

Forum Veteran

So every time I go through the WTC that security who harassed me makes gestures and stares at me.... and the station is becoming dirty....trash on tracks...dusty ceilings...its boiling hot on the platforms....

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    So every time I go through the WTC that security who harassed me makes gestures and stares at me.... and the station is becoming dirty....trash on tracks...dusty ceilings...its boiling hot on the platforms....
    I'm assuming that since only 3/4ths of the complex is done at the moment the ventilation system is shoddy, at best. The fire alarm goes off every other day, which is a prime example of that. Either that, or someone is welding far too close to the safety systems. However, for now, the heat is a nice alternative to the fluctuating weather.

That's beautiful!