Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New TKTS Booth and Duffy Square - by John Choi and Tai Ropiha / Perkins Eastman

Pretty good.

Subtle but good.

Those little granite curbs sticking up on each side brings two things to mind: Skateboarders and lawsuits

Skateboarders would be cool here.
    I love the stadium seating.

hmmmm ... skateboarders ... got not problem with them -- other than the damage that their boards / wheels do to all sorts of publicly installed stonework / benches (check out battery park's new esplanade for one).

Perhaps they could start a self-supporting "repair-the-damage-we-do-to-public-places" fund?

Don't think it will be much of problem in TS where the cops are thick.

PS: I love this project and glad to see that it is finally moving forward. It's going to be a big plus for TS and TKTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    Those little granite curbs sticking up on each side brings two things to mind: Skateboarders and lawsuits
    No doubt that they will install those litle metal knobs every 16 inches that have sprung up all over NYC (to discourage boarders from taking runs along the stone -- which causes chipping and leaves nasty looking scuff marks).

I like everything about this design except for the plexiglass along the edges, which is extraordinarily lame. I understand that you do not want people falling (or more realistically, pushed -- this being New York) off the edge, but a metal, open-air gate/fence would do the trick far more effectively. What is the point of climbing up there if you can't even catch a breeze?

OK. Skateboarding's popularity doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and it gives kids something to do that isn't destructive to society, except for some scuff marks and a few chips? Maybe urban planners should provide them with some sort of identifiable and indestructable alternative, not isolated like at Chelsea Piers or some park, but part of the city fabric, where they seem to want to be. We install metal knobs to take away their spaces, and then we provide nothing to compensate. Hardly seems fair.

Well, its not like they don't have a zillion street curbs to skate on.

They seem to like to be able to arrange themselves in a sort of grouping, and plus curbs aren't good for all of the stunts, not high enough, too many obstructions, etc.

They will do it anyway, I guess was my point. I am an accommodating soul, and I like to see everyone able to use urban spaces. (within reason, no straw-man arguments please).

I hate covering everything with knobs and spikes.

It appears the island will be expanded from its current size quite a bit? I am surprised there is no greenery, shrubage, horticulturality involved.

Where is the long line for tickets??

Anyone ever eat at Foleys Fish House, those dark windows right below the Caddy signage? The view of TS is amazing from there! Its great in winter when you want to enjoy TS from a warm place over a tasty meal.

Not a fan of knobs and spikes myself.

Seems the problem stems from the design of street "furniture" that makes itself so attractive to boarders -- nice smooth long edges to slide along (hence the knobs and spikes to thwart the boarding). Chips / skids ruin the aesthetic of the minimalist design -- so urban designers need to either come up with a material that maintains its shape when board-ed or, as you say, create areas that are board-er friendly.

There was the big skate park in the Hudson River Park, but for construction purposes they've (temporarily??) moved the skate park that was near the Tribeca piers way up to ~ 30th Street in the HRP -- even more remote than before.

Kind of surprised that the refurbishment of the playgrounds in the SW edge of Central Park didn't include a skating park

There is however this down SoHo-way ... http://www.curbed.com/archives/categ...ita.php?page=2

Forget skateboarders. These steps will be heated. Can anyone say homeless magnet?

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast