Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Thread: New TKTS Booth and Duffy Square - by John Choi and Tai Ropiha / Perkins Eastman

So, isn't it interesting that they spent millions creating a public space in Times Square... and then they closed Broadway, creating a huge public space for next-to-nothing? There seem to be a lot more people using the lawn chairs than sitting on the steps.

Banned Member

The city and economy have changed drastically since the TKTS was first proposed and then approved. The stairs still offer a choice photo stop and a center to the square.

I'm quite happy to see the city reclaim roads for pedestrians and bicycles. The sidewalks in New York cannot handle the pedestrian capacity. When this happens roads are widened. I'm very pleased to see it with sidewalks and most encouraged by the additional bike lanes. If we could build dedicated bike paths as they have in Amsterdam - all the better.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I'm quite happy to see the city reclaim roads for pedestrians and bicycles. ... If we could build dedicated bike paths as they have in Amsterdam - all the better.
    I second that emotion - very happy with this trend. And the civil engineer in me smiles at the counterintuitive resulting improvement of auto traffic flow. If Bloomberg gets reelected I think we'll see more and more of this.

There seem to be a lot more people using the lawn chairs than sitting on the steps.
    Those pictures are misleading. They are not recent photos, that was much colder weather.

I can tell you that the stairs are now packed with seated people and are the biggest attraction in Times Square. You must look a few moments in order to find a place they are so crowded. Not just with tourists either.

A neighbor and I sit there quite often when we go for a walk and the scene is unbelievable- the way it encourages people to interact. On a recent night, nearly the whole steps erupted in "Happy Birthday" to a girl after her boyfriend shouted his request up to the crowd. Tourists and locals are mixing in a new way. It's a unique place in New York... to experience it oneself will make the cynical doubt evaporate.

I think this plaza and stairs are one of the best recent projects in New York. It certainly provides a scene as entertaining to sit and watch as you'll find anywhere in the world.

The street closures are brilliant too. They are changing something about New York in a positive way for once.

I have lots of new photos of the stairs and improved Times Square that I will post soon.

MidtownGuy, I experienced the same thing when I was there a week ago. Both the stairs and chairs were being used extensively.

Gives a piece of Times Square back to natives.

These guys?

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

And these guys:

All the glass-covered light fixtures imbedded in the surface of the square here were recently replaced by non-illuminated slabs of lighter colored stone -- the pattern within the pavement remains, but the high tech stuff beneath the feet at street level are gone.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

There weren't that many illuminated slabs to begin with, so now they're getting rid of the few that was there?

That sucks.

Typical New York for you. Everything starts out nice but over time, things get crappier and crappier.

That square barclays on top of that tower could be Ginza or Shinjuku.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637