Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation of the UN - by Fumihiko Maki with S.O.M.

December 3, 2004

Dealing Bloomberg a Setback, Senate Balks at U.N. Project

By AL BAKER

ALBANY, Dec. 2 - The Republicans who control the State Senate dealt a rebuke to a fellow Republican, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, on Thursday, scuttling legislation he had long championed to allow the United Nations to move forward with a planned renovation and expansion of its headquarters on the East Side of Manhattan.

Passage of a bill to let the United Nations expansion project go forward had been high on the mayor's list of priorities in Albany. But anti-United Nations sentiment among Senate Republicans, who cited everything from diplomats who do not pay their parking tickets to what they called its anti-Israel and anti-American stances, has stopped the proposal for now.

Mayor Bloomberg has been a strong backer of the United Nations and its expansion efforts. He appointed his sister, Marjorie Tiven, as commissioner for the United Nations Consular Corps and Protocol, the principal liaison between the diplomatic community and the city. And the mayor speaks with pride of his opportunity to address the General Assembly.

But as they returned for a special legislative session next week, the Senate Republicans questioned how they could authorize $600 million in bonds to pay for the project, particularly since it would be backed by fees from United Nations member nations who reportedly owe more than $195 million in fines from violations of city parking laws.

"How can we trust the U.N. nations to pay the fees to pay off this debt when they don't even pay their parking fines?" said Joseph L. Bruno, the Senate's Republican majority leader.

Other Senate Republicans expressed anger at the United Nations over charges that Saddam Hussein had abused its food-for-oil program.

In announcing the Senate's intentions, Mr. Bruno left open the possibility that the legislation might be reconsidered once concerns are addressed.

Gov. George E. Pataki has said he will probably sign the bill if it is passed.

Andrew M. Alper, the president of the city's Economic Development Corporation, said the United Nations is a valuable asset that "makes a major contribution to New York City's reputation as an international city." He said that "the Bloomberg administration is committed to working with the U.N. and the surrounding community to develop an acceptable renovation plan."

The move was a blow to Mr. Bloomberg in Albany, and could reflect a changed atmosphere in the Senate. The number of Republican senators from New York City was reduced on Election Day to four members, from six, so there are two fewer Republicans from the city whom Mr. Bloomberg can lobby to push items on his state agenda.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

Forum Veteran

I still think that this will go through after some more politicking and wrangling. Does anything get done easily in NY?

Whether you agree with them or not, I would have to say this and the main renovation, along with the UN in general, are an overall benefit for NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    I still think that this will go through after some more politicking and wrangling. Does anything get done easily in NY?

Whether you agree with them or not, I would have to say this and the main renovation, along with the UN in general, are an overall benefit for NYC.
    I agree with you. By the way, it's time for the five boroughs to secede from the state. The city gets shafted by the state and federal government. If the city became the 51st state, its fortunes would improve. I'm tired of having a bunch of wankers in Albany and DC shaft us.

Hmmm, i'm ready for some sexy buildings

Forum Veteran

I cant believe im staying this but with the UN's record in both America and Abroad, I hope this does not get built and they move on out.

People say if they move we will loose money, however if they do then all of there property can be sold and put into new use. Most people wouldn't even know they were gone

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    I cant believe im staying this but with the UN's record in both America and Abroad, I hope this does not get built and they move on out.

People say if they move we will loose money, however if they do then all of there property can be sold and put into new use. Most people wouldn't even know they were gone
    Yes, but these guys spend alot of money in the NYC economy. Not sure if the replacement would be quite the same.

I like the UN being in New York.

Forum Veteran

ILUVNYC, do you live in NYC?

No

<----Look

Banned Member

I used to live on East 46th Street and I can tell you it is maddening when the General Assembly is in session. It ties up everything. With that said, despite W's continual attacks on the UN, I think he is committed to utilizing it to further US interests and, along with the NYC government, would press to have it remain in the US and NYC.

Forum Veteran

It should move to Arlington, VA. Anyone like me and Brooklyn that worked or lived in that area knows that . Sorry ILUVNYC, but if your not here you don't see that craziness they bring. Ive seen them walk out of restaurants without paying the bill, walking away from concession stands at MSG without paying and from what my neighbors tell me there kids are the worst, do all shorts of things and gets away with it, all in the name of Diplomatic Immunity.

If they move we can convert all those buildings to prime residential projects an use there office space in the Daily News Building and the Chrysler Building as tenant office space

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Kliq6, I understand your POV, however, I disagree with you.
    Although, undoubtedly some of these diplomats and their associates act very poorly, we've got to have a more "farsighted" view.
    Having the UN gives NY a prestige factor that is hard to quantify in terms of monetary value.
    This and other well-known institutions in and around the city is what makes NY, well NY.
    Everything has its downsides, but we've got to take the bad with the good.

Forum Veteran

antinimby, can I just ask you one think. If the UN really left, would NEW YORK still not be NEW YORK. I don't think having then justifies the city. Its the people and the idea of how NY is the gateway and place that people from all over flocked and continue to flock to reach there dreams.

With the corruption that is going on in there, the prestige is leaving quick

There is no doubt that there is prestige for New York as the home of the U.N., and helps justify the claim as Capital of the World. But there is also no doubt that the U.N. has lost much of its prestige, and become increasingly irrelevant. And the diplomats. In personal interactions with them over the years, my emotions have run the gamut from wanting to let the air out of their tires, so simply punching them in the face.

Maybe someone should research the true economic benefits to the city.

One helpful note: The land on which the U.N. sits was privately owned by John D. Rockefeller Jr. He did not donate the land to the city, but to the federal government. The status of the land is similar to that of a foreign embassy in Washington. If the U.N. should leave, that real estate would not revert to New York.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast