Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation of the UN - by Fumihiko Maki with S.O.M.

Ive got to say i love the donald, he may be one for publicity stunts, ie rebuild the twins but i love someone who cuts the crap and gets it done right.

Do you think there's a chance the UN would leave New York, or is that just mindless speculation?

its most probably mindless speculation, the un has always been in NY and its not about to change that status now.

The UN isn't going to move. Part of the reason is that they wouldn't be able to get the same subsidies the U.S. gives them anywhere else if they moved.

DAILY NEWS

Let me fix UN!

Donald Trump tells Senate subcommittee that he’s the best man to renovate UN headquarters.

By ELIZABETH WIDDICOMBE

WASHINGTON - New York's flamboyant real estate king had a typically blunt message yesterday for a Senate subcommittee reviewing the renovation of UN headquarters: Hire me.

With knockout wife Melania at his side and a bevy of paparazzi snapping furiously, Donald Trump dazzled a starry-eyed Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee, charging the UN is being eaten alive in the shark-infested waters of Manhattan real estate.

The bumbling bureaucratic giant just needs one thing, he argued: The Donald.

"Congratulations," Trump barked, "You've got yourself a mess on your hands, and it's only going to get worse."

UN planners have "no idea what they're doing," he warned. "We have major slime in New York ... in the form of contractors ... and every one of them will find their way to the UN."

Trump said the $1.2 billion price tag was grossly inflated. "There's only two reasons - gross incompetence or ... corruption."

An Italian architectural firm has already perpetrated a world-class scam, he charged, billing a reported $44 million for its services.

A Trump-run project would cost roughly half as much, and "you could have the entire thing rebuilt in less than two years," he said. Under current plans, it will take that long for construction to begin.

"My building would be better," Trump said, "It would be much newer, much richer. I would put in all marble floors on the ground - I like marble."

When chairman Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) asked Trump if he would bid for the job, the mogul balked: "First of all, they don't know what they want. They don't know what they have. They have no idea what they're doing."

A UN spokeswoman said "the UN would encourage Mr. Trump to bid on the project."

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) called Trump's testimony "a tutorial" and "breath of fresh air." He later gushed to the Daily News that Trump's performance was "the best I've ever seen. It was fabulous."

Banned Member

And so, true New York chutzpah arrives on Capitol Hill.

I wonder how his comments will go down in the AEC community? Although he's right, he'll need contractors to build anything and he did lump them all together in those comments. Howard Rubenstein to the rescue - I'm sure.

Hey I got a feeling that he can make it happen... I do want a new building next ot the current UN headquarters. It just look to lonely there... It needs a companion IMO.

Forum Veteran

They wont move , the talk all the time about it and do nothing. Just like on there policies there all talk. They may move to Brooklyn but not out of the city. There members love the fine dinning they get here.

Also they wont be hiring Trump, he is a developer not a CM or contractor. They have there own organization UNDC that oversees all capital improvement and real estate projects. Most of the time they bring in foreign contractors, one of the large reasons there is not as much fighting ove this deal as there was on the Jets deal

When yous say move to Brooklyn, do you mean for good--or just temporarily until their new HQ is finished?

Forum Veteran

far as i know any move would be temp, the idea is to fix the old HQ while they are in new space. I think Trump wants them to move out completely and go to Ground Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Pottebaum
    When yous say move to Brooklyn, do you mean for good--or just temporarily until their new HQ is finished?

Here's a little more on that

BROOKLYN PAPERS

U.N.-BELIEVABLE
    Seek permanent office space in Downtown Brooklyn

Borough President Marty Markowitz, pictured last month with Kofi Annan, U.N. Secretary-General, is building bridges that may result in the international agency setting up permanent offices here.)

By Jess Wisloski
    The Brooklyn Papers

Borough President Marty Markowitz has been lobbying United Nations officials to relocate to Downtown Brooklyn during the planned reconstruction of the international body’s general headquarters in Manhattan — and the effort may be paying off.

Word out of meetings between Markowitz and U.N. Undersecretary General Christopher Burnham this week was that Brooklyn is not just being looked at for the seven-year relocation of their headquarters and General Assembly, but is also being seriously considered for a permanent relocation of some support staff.

“Undersecretary Burnham did say, even if they don’t decide upon Brooklyn as a temporary facility, they still would consider Brooklyn for a full-time expansion,” said Greg Atkins, Markowitz’s chief of staff.

Atkins noted that the July 12 meeting, which included Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce President Kenneth Adams and Downtown Brooklyn Council Director Michael Burke, did not include any real estate developers.

“In fact, we aren’t even ready to be talking to developers in Brooklyn, but we took a delegation of business, educational institution and community leaders to go talk and we went to speak to Chris Burnham about why Brooklyn would be a great possibility,” Atkins said about the half-hour meeting.

“We went to the U.N., we made our pitch and came home,” he said.

Adams told The Brooklyn Papers this week that the U.N. was also eyeing Brooklyn for a permanent relocation of some type.

“I think the thing that struck me about the meeting was first, that the undersecretary made it clear that Downtown Brooklyn is certainly still on their radar screen [for the temporary relocation], but the thing that was a surprise was that he also mentioned his interest in Downtown Brooklyn long-term, that it is a possible site for some function of the U.N. permanently,” he said.

Crain’s New York Business reported Monday that the U.N. had narrowed the potential sites for the 1 million square feet of temporary office space to six locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Burnham has said that the absolute deadline for signing a lease for the temporary space, which is being called swing space, is fall 2006. The space would need to accommodate its Secretariat staff of nearly 3,000 and General Assembly meetings within a hall big enough to seat 1,800.

Calls to Burnham’s office seeking comment for this article were not returned by press time, but several sources confirmed the interest shown by the U.N.

“If, in a sort of post-9-11 security environment, the U.N. were to decentralize some of its functions and spread them around the city, [Burnham] indicated that Downtown Brooklyn could be an appropriate site for the permanent location for a support function of the U.N.,” said Adams.

“Obviously, that is far more lasting than the temporary swing space,” he said.

Interest by the U.N. could help spur new development in Downtown Brooklyn, which passed a major rezoning initiative last year but has yet to result in a spate of new growth.

On May 10, The Brooklyn Papers reported that Secretary-General Kofi Annan said the U.N. may have found commercial space in Downtown Brooklyn that could serve its Secretariat and General Assembly needs.

The Brooklyn site being looked at, which Annan would not identify, would cost the U.N. between $211 million and $220 million for the offices and conference hall, much less than a Midtown Manhattan location estimated to cost between $221 million and $230 million, plus another $45 million for conference space, according to his May 10 report.

The Downtown Brooklyn Plan, signed into law last August, was created, according to its advocates, to encourage the development of 6 million square feet of office space by allowing high-rises up to 400 feet in some zones, in order to attract businesses that are considering moving their back-office space to New Jersey and elsewhere outside the city.

Joseph Sitt, a developer whose Thor Equities company owns both an above-ground parking lot along Flatbush Avenue Extension at Willoughby Street and the adjoining Gallery at Fulton Mall shopping center, said in May that he had been contacted by U.N. officials about the 1.2 million-square-foot office project he has in mind for that site.

The catch, he said after the U.N. report’s release, was that most banks insist on a 10-year-lease from major tenants and not the seven that the U.N. predicts it will need while its old home is being renovated.

That new tower would be just one of three city planners expect to flank a 1.5-acre open space to be known as Willoughby Square.

Lee Silberstein, a spokesman for Thor Equities, said this week that the site near the planned Willoughby Square, adjacent to 1 DeKalb Ave., was indeed being considered by the U.N.

“There have been ongoing discussions,” he said.

Atkins said no developers were mentioned or discussed at the meeting with Burnham.

“We didn’t get into specifics about that. We just wanted to let them know that Brooklyn was open for business,” Atkins said. “We’re not privy to any negotiations, so this is a complete guess on my part, but my guess is they’re talking to property owners and developers.”

Burke, whose organization devised the Downtown Brooklyn Plan, said this week, “There are probably a number of developers that have approached the U.N.

“The U.N. is actively looking in Manhattan and Brooklyn for swing space,” he said. “Given all the development potential in Downtown Brooklyn, we’re hoping that the U.N will decide to relocate here, and I think there is a good possibly.”

Adams said bringing the U.N. to Downtown Brooklyn would be an enormous coup.

“If Downtown Brooklyn was selected by the U.N. it would send a very powerful message about the appeal of Brooklyn,” he said. “Every time news comes out of the U.N., it’s coming from Brooklyn, N.Y. That sends a very strong message,” he said.

“It would put us on a global map. It’s that type of message that is critical to fulfilling the Downtown Brooklyn Plan.”

Forum Veteran

This would really be great for Brooklyn, but I can't believe that LIC has not come up. Is it not a 5 min train ride away??

I really liked the idea and symbolic nature of the UN moving to the world trade center (i hate when people say 'moving to ground zero' it aint ground zero its wtc baby) in the article somewhere on this thread

Banned Member

It isn't faesible for the U.N. to move to the WTC. The U.N. is considered International / Foreign Territory and that won't work at the WTC and atop a major transit hub. Not gonna happen.

I guess your right but the idea is nice. I didnt realise the UN feels so cut off from the world when your outside it. I dont know why i thought there would be no fences or whatever surrounding it.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast