Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Condo Construction in New York City

Default Update

If anyone is interested, the building on the SW corner of Leonard Street and Broadway is not going to be TyCom's Telecom "Hotel."

http://www.tribecatrib.com/newsoct03/inbrief.html

^ I think this is old news. That site is the Costas Kondylis building going up now, yes? (The link is to an article from 10/2003.)

Default New Construction

I am not sure of the name of this "new construction" did not make a note of it at time of photo. I viewed the new construction list, I may be there.

However, it is on Hudson Street one block north of canal street.

I took some some up close photos for any one that may be into "pored conrete" construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010_1.JPG 
Views:	665 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1241  

Default found it

As it turns out, This building is on the new construction listing (255 hudson) I will post the photo thru that link.

Now that the map of the new projects is complete - see http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/map.htm - I intend to map all the buildings that appear on the New Contruction page - http://www.wirednewyork.com/new.htm

Default maps of NYC

The maps feature is great - partularly like the zoom feature: thanks.

Default time lapse

though not up-dated all too often, http://www.projectrebirth.org/

has cameras on and off site of WTC. additional cameras were installed to track Tower One and Transpoortation Hub progress. don't kno whwne they'll be fed in though...

^^^ Imagine something just like that but it gave detailed information about the building such as the history and signifigance, that would be really something great!

The Dude Abides

GlobeSt.com

Last updated: October 4, 2006 08:48am

NYC Construction To Top $21B in '07

By Jesse Serwer

NEW YORK CITY-Despite escalating costs, construction in the city shows no signs of slowing down, Daniel Doctoroff, New York City Deputy Mayor for economic development, told attendees at a construction industry forum here Tuesday. The event, held at the Hilton New York, revealed the findings of the New York Building Congress’ New York City Construction Outlook for 2006-2008.

According to the report, an annually released forecast based on analysis of capital budgets, private-sector development plans and other indicators, total construction spending in the city will top $20 billion for the first time in 2006, and exceed $21 billion in 2007 and 2008.

“My favorite statistic is that, in one square mile south of Chambers Street, there is $37 billion under construction, or set to start construction, in the next couple of years,” Doctoroff said. “There has never been more construction going on at one time in the history of New York City.”

Despite the record numbers, the construction industry is only at the beginning of a historic upswing, said Richard T. Anderson, New York Building Congress president. “Given that World Trade Center construction activity won’t begin to peak until 2009 and that major development projects such as Atlantic and Hudson Yards are slated to commence in that timeframe as well," he said, "it is possible that the building boom could proceed unabated well into the next decade.”

Doctoroff, meanwhile, warned about the risks of rapidly rising construction costs, noting that the phenomenon is not entirely due to the rising price of commodities, but also to inefficiency on the part of both the public and private sectors. “Process requirements are important, but the process must be balanced with efficiency if we are to use the public’s money wisely," he warned. "I am sick of hearing, ‘This is the way it’s always been done.’ It’s time to change the way it’s been done to the way that makes sense. We need to be more nimble so the city can execute more efficiently in a rapidly-changing environment.”

Copyright © 2006 ALM Properties, Inc.

Default whats going up at 341-45 w 37th st?

I live on 38th st between 8th and 9th aves. I am starting to be concerned about some new construction that has begun.
    There is (was) a parking garage at the same address (341-45) on 38th that is coming down. Looks like the building will cut through from 38th to 37th st in a zig zag fashion. A building behind my loft looks like it's about to come down as well-are they connecting all these lots to build a monster light blocking behemoth?! Does anyone have any info on whats going on here?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by scumonkey; June 24th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.

DOB shows for 341 - 343 W. 38th an Approved Application (date 2.09.2006) to convert the building from Factory to Offices.

I'm a bit confused by your description linking 341 W. 38th to a property on W. 37th, as DOB records indidcate that odd numbers on W 38th are on the north side of the street (thereby backing up to lots on W. 39th) ...

DOB shows that 345 W. 38th (aka 345 - 353 W. 38th) is combined with 342 - 350 W. 39th. However no Demolition or New Building Applications / Permits show up on a search of records for those lots.

I'm a bit confused by your description linking 341 W. 38th to a property on W. 37th, as DOB records indidcate that odd numbers on W 38th are on the north side of the street (thereby backing up to lots on W. 39th) ...
    MY BAD!!
    Here is a pic to help clear things up. I got the numbers from a bad source!
    The "T" shaped building with the Green stripes on it was a parking garage and, is already being torn down.
    It faced 38th st with access from 37th as well,(lot in blue). I live at 348 (yellow), and the building in question (red).
    341-45 w 37th st housed a paper cup and napkin supplier.
    I also received this email from a friend..
    "The Building at 341- 345 is being demolished and this lot will be
    joined to
    the others to the East to build a residential complex, approximately 20
    stories high .."Any info would be highly appreciated!

OK ^^^ Good Info is always helpful

DOB shows a DEMO Permit (dated 6.05.2007) for 327 - 329 W. 37th (aka 310 - 328 W. 38th (the garage)

DOB shows no new Permits for 331 - 339 W. 37th ("vacant" land)

DOB shows for 341 - 345 W 37th a brand new DEMO Permit was just pre-filed last wek (dated 6.21.07), but has no real info ...

Another DOB Permit for a sidewalk shed at 343 W. 37th (issed 6.13.07) states that it is for "Remedial Repairs", but such wording is often included in applications when the powers that be don't want too much info about a project to get out to the public (for example that the building is really going to be torn down and a new big thing is going up):
    INSTALL HEAVY DUTY SIDEWALK SHED A TOTAL OF 75 FT LONG AT 343 WEST 37 STREET. DURING REMEDIAL REPAIRS. WORK SHALL COMPLY WITH LL33/91. NO CHANGE IN USE, EGRESS OR OCCUPANCY.
    347 W. 37th is a Not-For-Profit ("Fountain House") with no major DOB actions so it looks like that building isn't going anywhere.

Forum Veteran

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    I live on 38th st between 8th and 9th aves. I am starting to be concerned about some new construction that has begun.
    There is (was) a parking garage at the same address (341-45) on 38th that is coming down. Looks like the building will cut through from 38th to 37th st in a zig zag fashion. A building behind my loft looks like it's about to come down as well-are they connecting all these lots to build a monster light blocking behemoth?! Does anyone have any info on whats going on here?
    Thanks!!
    Ill be blunt to you, get use to it. Whats going on is you live in Hudson Yards and in 10 years your area wont look anything like it does today, chances are sadly you will also not be living there

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast