Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Condo Construction in New York City

and now for the really bad news (if you're not wanting a big building to go up ) ...

NYC Department of Finance shows that all those properties in question which you show on the map were recently purchased by Glenwood Management Corp., LLC:

327 - 329 W. 37th (aka 310 - 328 W. 38th): 4.04.07

331 - 339 W. 37th: 5.30.07

341 - 345 W. 37th: 3.14.07

Emporis list of Glenwood's NYC buildings, which includes one of my least favorite new buildings in the entire world ...

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post

Whats going on is you live in Hudson Yards and in 10 years your area wont look anything like it does today...
    Not exactly true ...

The area in question is covered by the more restrictive zoning regs of the Garment Center, rather than Hudson Yards zoning (which start west of 9th Avenue).

However the statement about how things will look in 10 years is very true (for any number of reasons, possibly well beyond issues of development and construction).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoning_W. 38th Garment Center_01b.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	4364  

Thank you for all your time and research !!!!
    I guess I should feel lucky that they didn't snatch up 331-339 (right behind me)!
    Emporis list of Glenwood's NYC buildings, which includes one of my least favorite new buildings in the entire world ...
    OH NO......ALL their buildings are FUGLY!
    They appear little more than giant mega boxes to squeeze as many people into as possible The skins all look the same- house of ghetto!
    We moved here over 20 years ago because at the time, the zoning did not allow for anything really over 10 or so stories....but buying up everyones air rights to do this is just WRONG! It will be so much taller and out of character than anything in the neighborhood .

Does anyone know if there are any renderings available of this about to go up property?

10 years your area wont look anything like it does today, chances are sadly you will also not be living there
    After hearing this wonderful news....I doubt I'll be here after 3!

I don't think that zoing has changed on these blocks -- or that air rights are needed --

It's just that developers are buying larger plots and then building smaller floorplates above lousy & squatty bases (or eliminating the base and pushing the entire building back from the sidewalk).

I think you'll find that mid-block between Eighth / Ninth Avenues and between 36th and 40th Streets there will be lots of 20-30 story buildings going up in the next few years on the exisintg garages / parking lots ...

Look at the McSam & Lam-O-Ramas going up on the block bounded by 39th / 40th right now to get an idea of what is to come down your way.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Not exactly true ...

The area in question is covered by the more restrictive zoning regs of the Garment Center, rather than Hudson Yards zoning (which start west of 9th Avenue).

However the statement about how things will look in 10 years is very true (for any number of reasons, possibly well beyond issues of development and construction).

Are you sure, I thought Hudson Yards rode Eighth Ave from 28th till 39th and then moved over to 9th?

DOB lists the site at 341 - 345 W. 37th as:

Special District: GC - Garment Center

But it seems that the block bounded by Eighth / Ninth Avenues & W 39th / W 40th Street alone along that stretch between the Avenues is within the Hudson Yards zoning area, as DOB lists 343 - 345 W 39th as:

Special District: HY - Hudson Yards

From what I can decipher it seems that the map below shows the areas within the Garment Center District and those within Hudson Yards ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoning_W. 38th Garment Center_01c.JPG 
Views:	524 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	4366  

You be da Man lofter1 !
    Thank YOU for the wealth of info!!

I dug up some more pertinent stuff today -- hope to post it tomorrow or the next day ...

From today at CURBED:

Glenwood Stitches Together a
    Parcel in the Garment Center
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007, by ROK88

Developer Glenwood Management Corp. has recently grabbed up a bunch
    of properties on West 37th and 38th Streets in the heart of the Garment Center.
    They're now demolishing some old-timey buildings there (including an ancient
    U.S. Post Office Garage from 1918) to make way for what will most likely be
    another one of Glenwood's elegantly luxurious (or is that luxuriously elegant?)
    rental towers. A resident of W. 38th who lives nearby was screaming bloody
    murder over at WiredNewYork the other day, wondering what the hell was
    going on. One of the Wired regulars did some digging into the NYC
    Department of Finance website and uncovered the Glenwood transactions.
    Not too much info on what is planned here. But one thing seems certain:
    With a combined footprint at the site of about 50,000 square feet this one
    is gonna be BIG.

[The lot along W. 37th (left) and the old US Post Office Garage on W. 38th]

Glenwood's website (where news of this newly-acquired property has yet to
    surface) claims that their buildings are found in "prestigious locations". Hmmm.
    Makes one wonder if the Glenwood gang spends much time on the streets
    between Eighth and Ninth Avenues. They must be thinking forward to the
    day when that open space just to the west is all tall and glassy. When that
    day does come whatever goes up here will probably fit right in.

[Ballinger & Perrot's 1918 U.S. Post Office Garage coming down]

[The view from West 37th across the site to Renzo Piano's NY Times Tower]

· 310 W. 38th Street Application Data [NYC Department of Buildings]
    · Ballinger Collection, US Post Office Garage, 38th Street, New York, NY [philadelphiabuildings.org]
    · New Construction in New York City, Post 41 [wirednewyork.com forum]
    · New Construction in New York City, Post 46 [wirednewyork.com forum]
    · Properties [glenwoodnyc.com]
    · On Hudson Yards' Dizzying, Dark Strategic Framework [Curbed]

And some interesting and alarming stuff from a commentor to that ^^^ article ...

I sent this email to Curbed (tips) on 5/18/2007 about this development and the fact that they were removing asbestos without any protection (they had protection but the area was not tented). I called DOB and DEP on them as well as calling Glenwood and their demo contractor. I received a call back from Glenwood who was irate that I ratted them out. DOB and DEP showed up too late, but I still have the pics. My email from 5/18 but Curbed didn't report anything. After my email I checked DOB again and verified that they had filed two permits for removal of asbestos on the roof. We are now enjoying he noise and shaking of our building from the demo.

"We took these pictures from our office. Glenwood Mgt (Litwin) purchased the garage next door (310 W39) and additional adjacent parcels on W 37 St. Talk is they are building a 24-story bldg with 550 units. They recently shut down the garage and there is a demo permit filed. They have guys on the roof with jackhammers (see attached pics) removing roofing material. I assumed that it may be ACMs and that's why there is separate removal of the material. But it doesn't look like any sort of containment is going on and they are just loading it in a wheel barrel and dumping down into the bldg. Check it out."

And this \/ from another commentor, which should make Wired New York proud ...

dear curbed. keep these kinda stories coming!

info from wired new york is very much appreciated.

Knowing what's in the works befre everyone else does is the real goods of curbed.

keep em comin!

I think my days of enjoying sunny vistas are numbered.
    Thanks so much for giving me the heads up. This site rocks- and so do it's members!
    I was wondering why the hello they were wearing space suites
    to remove the roof behind my loft....Thank you's are in order for them not telling us and,
    letting the wind blow all that dust and crud in through our windows!
    Now if we could just find out what this giant mega sun blocking box is
    gonna look like??

This thread has not had a post since June 2007, has new construction stopped?

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

New buildings tend to get mentioned in "Manhattan Residential Development" and then get their own threads.

Buyers and potential buyers tend to ask each other questions on "Buying a New Construction Condominium"

Hope that helps.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Quote Originally Posted by v70cat View Post
    This thread has not had a post since June 2007, has new construction stopped?
    Exactly opposite - too much new construction - takes a lot of effort to follow.

If anyone would be interested in helping me to keep New Construction in New York City page up to date - please let me know!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast