Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite forum members

Default Your favorite forum members

Hey all,

I've been an almost daily visitor to wirednewyork for over a year now but hardly post any messages. *This forum has provided me many hours of information, appreciation, and hope for the most inspiring city on the planet. *I've also come to appreciate the many people who make this forum all that it is and wanted to recognize a few individually:

Edward (or Mr. Noharmony)- for running my favorite site on the internet and risking life & limb by taking pictures in no-pedestrian zones and in the dead of winter (and posting them on the same day)

Stern- for providing information on many buildings in the pre- or just-prosposed phases with the effect of making us all giddy with excitement; and for your commentary which is insightful and good-mannered

Fabb- in the chaos that is the renewal of the WTC site, your comments have the perfect balance of hope & skepticism; your passion for the process is evident and you do it without being preachy or overstated

Rich Battista- for having something good to say about every last building in NYC (where ya been Rich? *you haven't posted lately)

NYatKnight- for being the peace-maker between bickering forum members (usually newbies like myself) and trumpeting all that NYC has to offer--architecture, history, events, food, snow, and on & on *

Gulkrapek- for making us remember that NYC is more than just Manhattan

ddny- for posting enough pictures to make me feel like I'm actually there

NYguy- for posting all the informative newspaper articles and boldfacing the good parts

These are just some of the many people who make this forum as strong as it is. *Before I finish, I have a message to the newbies, especially the 'new' newbies: respect this forum. *Whether you want to rebuild the twin towers or plant corn on the footprints, we only need to hear your opinion once. *Don't degrade this community with repetitive sermons or personal attacks. *We're all fortunate to have this great resource at our fingertips. *

I'm eager to hear other people's favorite forummers. *Hope to visit the great city soon! *

*Good advice for the newbies.
    Yes, we have many strong members on this board, the biggest treasure on this forum is the general civility towards each other, and each others ideas.

(Edited by amigo32 at 4:13 am on Mar. 2, 2003)

Thanks autumnsun.
    I enjoyed your comments, and I must say I agree that this forum is a gathering of great people. It's always a pleasure to be here and see new members enrich our discussions.

I want to thank one of the very best among us, Kris, an old accomplice, thanks to whom I discovered this forum.
    Last edited by Kris; October 5th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.

I'd welcome you aboard, but you've been here longer than me.

My family and friends have little interest in architecture, and I was searching for a place to share thoughts, and stumbled on this great site.

People here are opinionated, but not rude. I think that's the difference.

Don't be a stranger.

Let me continue with the ass-kissing. *This is the only web forum I've come across that I've had the patience to follow for any length of time. *Often they're too contentious, too frivilous, too specific, too exclusive, not updated enough, impossible to jump in in the middle of the conversation; the list goes on. *This is the only forum I know of-- on any topic *-- that is "just right."

Forum Veteran

Yeah. This forum is by far the most intelligent and civil dealing with this topic/area and possibly any on the web, at least from what I've seen. A core membership of people with manners yet superb debate skills and a certain way of getting their message across. A secondary membership of those with interesting comments and will to express their opinions without intended offense. A tertiary ring of newcomers and lurkers who will hopefully blend into the mix.

And thank you very much autumn sun.. I feel loved!

While you might consider me a newbie there are other boards where I'm a regular which will include this one. *Usually I post on boards that are directed to the rebuilding issues at the WTC site. *These boards include, NYCS, NYSL, Save the WTC, Build a new WTC, Civic Alliance, Gotham Gazette, CBS on GZ, and BPC. *Some of you I knew from other fourms before comming here. *For example I knew about NYguy and ddny on Skyscraperpage before they were here though I have never posted there myself and just looked at it. *Also, I knew about Gilbert Gjersvik on the CBS and Gotham Gazette boards before coming here. *This means that some of you aren't new to me. *That's an advantage for doing that. *Some of us who here from NYCS are here to escape the chaos that has been caused by a corrupt moderator who abused his duties for his own personal usages. *It now feels that the only way to end the chaos there is to limit his power by reforming the government there, and the refugee thing will be over a as result of that. *However, that doesn't mean that I will stop comming here.

(Edited by TalB at 3:05 pm on Mar. 2, 2003)

(Edited by TalB at 2:08 pm on Mar. 3, 2003)

Autumnsun, what a nice compliment. YOU are my new favorite forum member. *

Where do I begin....I'd like to thank the Academy.....

No doubt it's the members on this forum that make it so engaging, enlightening and entertaining. I first started to read the opinions of those members you mentioned (plus Christian Wieland, Derek2k3, JMGarcia, maxinmilano, Grimm, and others) in other skyscraper forums - but it wasn't until this website was started that the conversation was held to the topic without interruption from jealous outsiders or childish buffoons. Furthermore, the growing list of new members are constantly providing us with a greater range of topics and a fresh mix of perspectives.

It is also nice to know that I'm not the only geek in the city staring up at the skyscrapers so much.

Cheers!

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 10:57 am on Mar. 4, 2003)

Doesn't anybody want to congratulate me on my recently attained Advanced Memberhood?

Ah, but it's a double edge sword, your membership dues go up. You'll be getting billed any day now. Congratulations!

To be fair, there ought to be an asterisk next to the pre-wipe-out members who lost up to 8 months of posts, but hey, it's quality not quantity.

We should all know that no forum is made to see who posts more. *It is about the discussions and not about the posts. *Having to post more frequently or doing it sporadically doesn't mean any difference nor is having to be a newbie vs having to be an advanced member. *Nobody here is special no matter how many posts they make.

Forum Veteran

We're all special!

Keep talking, junior.

Quote: from Gulcrapek on 5:26 pm on Mar. 4, 2003
    We're all special!
    This reminds me of a great moment from "Life of Brian":

(Crowd chanting in unison) Yes! We are all individuals!

(Lone voice from the back) I'm Not...

(Edited by Eugenius at 10:42 am on Mar. 5, 2003)

My family and friends have little interest in architecture, and I was searching for a place to share thoughts
    Second that. This is why I tend to post at New York development threads. I have almost always been fascinated at tall buildings, I remember when I was a young kid and I just happened to look up. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I see the Grace Building, its weird...yes. I was amazed the first time I took the time to actually look up, and it opened doors for me.

This is the best outlet for such, and I rarely feel like Im wasting my time here. I especially love the development process of tall buildings, the vision, the design process, the groundbreaking, the construction, and the finished product. What takes a few years to construct makes a mark on the skyline for a lifetime, all very exciting.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast