Page 165 of 665 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 9975

Thread: Newark Development

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2px...eature=related he's just practicing his homework

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    Published: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:00 AM

Philip Read/The Star-Ledger

NOAH K. MURRAY/The Star-LedgerA photo of the exterior of The Prudential Center in Newark.

NEWARK — Jordan Speranza, a first-year Rutgers Law School student, just emerged from her loft apartment on a stretch of Newark’s Market Street. It is an unlikely place for a new arrival.

For one, it’s alongside the once famed Paramount Theater, which hasn’t featured a film in a quarter-century. Across the way, there are boarded-up mid-rises.

But that didn’t deter Speranza, who once lived in Washington, D.C.’s “up and coming” Columbia Heights neighborhood and has now landed in her second-story loft downtown.
    Inside, there are soaring ceilings, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances that could be right out of “My First Place” on HGTV.

“I looked at University Heights,” said the 24-year-old Speranza, who had combed the typical college-apartment haunts. “I kind of lucked out. This was the nicest place.”
    Her stretch of downtown Newark could pass for an eerie set of the old “Twilight Zone” series, but it is ever-so-slowly starting to come to life, a beneficiary of the economic catalyst of 18,000-seat Prudential Center arena just up the street.

“We believe there’s a huge demand for downtown living,” said real-estate developer Samer Hanini, who partnered with Marc Berson just 18 months ago on the Bowers building. “’The Rock’ brings safety to the street, and that helps rent out the units a lot quicker.”

Since that Oct. 25, 2007, opening night, when rocker Jon Bon Jovi took to the stage at the first professional sports arena to open in the New York metropolitan area in a quarter century, “The Rock” has been touted as an economic engine that would accelerate the city’s fragile revival.

It pulled in the New Jersey Devils hockey team, rock concerts, and even brought back “The Greatest Show on Earth,” with the return of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker called it the spark that would “fuel and energize the resurgence” of the city. Developer Art Stern said that “without question” the arena helped fill up residences at his Eleven80 tower on Raymond Boulevard, the downtown’s first market-rate apartments in decades.

Just opposite the arena, Brick City Bar & Grill opened to take advantage of all those fans wearing New Jersey Devils jerseys. Just this summer, the city’s first brew pub in memory opened on nearby Commerce Street, with one of its first home-made ales aptly named “Devil’s Red.”

But for the most part, little had changed along the stretch of Market Street just down from “Championship Plaza,” where a 22-foot tall stainless steel “Iron Man” hockey player stands sentry.

It is along that strip where Hanini joined with Berson — whose Fidelco transformed the One Washington Park tower along north Broad Street — to renovate the 1925 three-story Bowers building that long ago housed “S. Marsh & Sons” jewelers, a game parlor called “Amusements” and a Lin’s Chinese eatery.

Today, the Bowers Building sports a new elevator, 10 new air-conditioning units and a rusted rooftop billboard, with a green patina, proclaiming “Broad and Market Tavern, In the hub of Newark, serving you the best,” aside images of wine and beer glasses.

“We’re keeping it to keep the historic look,” Hanini said of the decades-old advertising memento.

All eight loft apartments were rented quickly, evidence that the long hoped-for residential component to revitalization has hit the street level.

To Marta Person Villa of the Newark-based realty firm Square Foot, there’s pent up demand for the residential lofts, not to mention the first-floor retail where Rita’s Ice has signed on for a spring opening.

“They were gone in 45 days,” she said of the lofts, “and for a block in transition, that’s fabulous.”

She credits the workmanship of the Haninis for the appeal of the lofts, whose rents run about $1,350. “Those apartments, they’re the nicest available,” she said. “If the product is nice, they have a high tolerance for what’s outside.”

Hanini, who once went so far as to trademark the line “NWK LOVES U,” actually grew up in Jersey City, in a seven-family home he shared with his brother and now partner, Thafer. There, they developed the expertise that led to today’s make overs. “We use to do all the repairs ourselves, the renovations ourselves,” Hanini said.

The Hanini brothers and Berson decided to make change in the area, and not wait for it to happen.

“What’s important is that we initiate change sooner rather than later, and we preserve some of the history, and we get this 24/7 activity going on the streets as soon as possible,” Berson said.

Anthony Schuman, a professor at the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s School of Architecture, Hanini’s alma mater, commended Hanini for investing in the city’s renaissance.

“Samer is a home-grown developer, someone who went to school here and stayed and decided to throw his lot in developing Newark,” said Schuman, who sits on the non-profit Newark Preservation & Landmarks Committee alongside Hanini.

If the game plan sticks, Hanini and Berson are ripe for rolling out more residential lofts along the strip.

“We own 216 Market, 222 and 224-226,” Berson said. “Overall, that should add another, I’d say 40-plus units. Very exciting.”

^To put any holes in a middle-class having no desire for Newark

Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    Yup and that golden age really sustained itself real well from all that wonderful leadership

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp33ajAqoaM
    Emergency Press Conference on Newark Budget Gap

Boys Fighting Downtown Newark NJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWBABhL8kc

Uh yeah...golden ages all have one thing in common...they end.

So in an effort to knock Democrats you're trying to downplay arguably Newark's best period of its existence? You're going to have to try a little harder than that.

I guess GWB was a god-send...yeah...the Repubs are the solution to everything. I don't think the solution is going to come from a politician before it comes from the population.

Take a good look taxpayers! This is what you get for $19,000 per sudent per year!
    The Newark Schools have the lowest graduation rate in the state! Here is the proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a6E11pyx8E

Why can't any of them speak proper english?

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    ^To put any holes in a middle-class having no desire for Newark

Uh yeah...golden ages all have one thing in common...they end.

So in an effort to knock Democrats you're trying to downplay arguably Newark's best period of its existence? You're going to have to try a little harder than that.

I guess GWB was a god-send...yeah...the Repubs are the solution to everything. I don't think the solution is going to come from a politician before it comes from the population.

Really who moved in? I know one of tenants who moved next to paramount, he's a gay artist and not middle class. Show me the proof and not some silly article saying change is coming. 1180 can't even keep their tenants. Jordan Speranza's parents are paying for that space too .. again no middle class coming in LOL.
    FAIL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WH5T...eature=related no comments other than if Society Hill didn't have 24x7 security she would be sleeping on my driveway
    If Newark is dead, dying and gone then why do you bother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFy-...eature=related can't wait for the "middle class" tenants to walk out and see this on the paramount

whee

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    Published: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:00 AM

Philip Read/The Star-Ledger

NOAH K. MURRAY/The Star-LedgerA photo of the exterior of The Prudential Center in Newark.

NEWARK — Jordan Speranza, a first-year Rutgers Law School student, just emerged from her loft apartment on a stretch of Newark’s Market Street. It is an unlikely place for a new arrival.

For one, it’s alongside the once famed Paramount Theater, which hasn’t featured a film in a quarter-century. Across the way, there are boarded-up mid-rises.

But that didn’t deter Speranza, who once lived in Washington, D.C.’s “up and coming” Columbia Heights neighborhood and has now landed in her second-story loft downtown.
    Inside, there are soaring ceilings, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances that could be right out of “My First Place” on HGTV.

“I looked at University Heights,” said the 24-year-old Speranza, who had combed the typical college-apartment haunts. “I kind of lucked out. This was the nicest place.”
    Her stretch of downtown Newark could pass for an eerie set of the old “Twilight Zone” series, but it is ever-so-slowly starting to come to life, a beneficiary of the economic catalyst of 18,000-seat Prudential Center arena just up the street.

“We believe there’s a huge demand for downtown living,” said real-estate developer Samer Hanini, who partnered with Marc Berson just 18 months ago on the Bowers building. “’The Rock’ brings safety to the street, and that helps rent out the units a lot quicker.”

Since that Oct. 25, 2007, opening night, when rocker Jon Bon Jovi took to the stage at the first professional sports arena to open in the New York metropolitan area in a quarter century, “The Rock” has been touted as an economic engine that would accelerate the city’s fragile revival.

It pulled in the New Jersey Devils hockey team, rock concerts, and even brought back “The Greatest Show on Earth,” with the return of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker called it the spark that would “fuel and energize the resurgence” of the city. Developer Art Stern said that “without question” the arena helped fill up residences at his Eleven80 tower on Raymond Boulevard, the downtown’s first market-rate apartments in decades.

Just opposite the arena, Brick City Bar & Grill opened to take advantage of all those fans wearing New Jersey Devils jerseys. Just this summer, the city’s first brew pub in memory opened on nearby Commerce Street, with one of its first home-made ales aptly named “Devil’s Red.”

But for the most part, little had changed along the stretch of Market Street just down from “Championship Plaza,” where a 22-foot tall stainless steel “Iron Man” hockey player stands sentry.

It is along that strip where Hanini joined with Berson — whose Fidelco transformed the One Washington Park tower along north Broad Street — to renovate the 1925 three-story Bowers building that long ago housed “S. Marsh & Sons” jewelers, a game parlor called “Amusements” and a Lin’s Chinese eatery.

Today, the Bowers Building sports a new elevator, 10 new air-conditioning units and a rusted rooftop billboard, with a green patina, proclaiming “Broad and Market Tavern, In the hub of Newark, serving you the best,” aside images of wine and beer glasses.

“We’re keeping it to keep the historic look,” Hanini said of the decades-old advertising memento.

All eight loft apartments were rented quickly, evidence that the long hoped-for residential component to revitalization has hit the street level.

To Marta Person Villa of the Newark-based realty firm Square Foot, there’s pent up demand for the residential lofts, not to mention the first-floor retail where Rita’s Ice has signed on for a spring opening.

“They were gone in 45 days,” she said of the lofts, “and for a block in transition, that’s fabulous.”

She credits the workmanship of the Haninis for the appeal of the lofts, whose rents run about $1,350. “Those apartments, they’re the nicest available,” she said. “If the product is nice, they have a high tolerance for what’s outside.”

Hanini, who once went so far as to trademark the line “NWK LOVES U,” actually grew up in Jersey City, in a seven-family home he shared with his brother and now partner, Thafer. There, they developed the expertise that led to today’s make overs. “We use to do all the repairs ourselves, the renovations ourselves,” Hanini said.

The Hanini brothers and Berson decided to make change in the area, and not wait for it to happen.

“What’s important is that we initiate change sooner rather than later, and we preserve some of the history, and we get this 24/7 activity going on the streets as soon as possible,” Berson said.

Anthony Schuman, a professor at the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s School of Architecture, Hanini’s alma mater, commended Hanini for investing in the city’s renaissance.

“Samer is a home-grown developer, someone who went to school here and stayed and decided to throw his lot in developing Newark,” said Schuman, who sits on the non-profit Newark Preservation & Landmarks Committee alongside Hanini.

If the game plan sticks, Hanini and Berson are ripe for rolling out more residential lofts along the strip.

“We own 216 Market, 222 and 224-226,” Berson said. “Overall, that should add another, I’d say 40-plus units. Very exciting.”
    Really who moved in? I know one of tenants who moved next to paramount, he's a gay artist and not middle class. Show me the proof and not some silly article saying change is coming. 1180 can't even keep their tenants. Jordan Speranza's parents are paying for that space too .. again no middle class coming in LOL.
    FAIL.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL:

“They were gone in 45 days,” she said of the lofts, “and for a block in transition, that’s fabulous.

An excerpt from the earlier posted article which you must have simply glossed over in the midst of your tirade

If Newark is dead, dying and gone then why do you bother?

Why do you? you don't live here. I do.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL:

“They were gone in 45 days,” she said of the lofts, “and for a block in transition, that’s fabulous.

An excerpt from the earlier posted article which you must have simply glossed over in the midst of your tirade
    Both rita's closed in 2 years in Newark.. FAIL.

I don't even know why I bother 'showing you proof'. With all these useless youtube posts your mind is overwhelmingly made up. It's not unusual for someone to vent...it's just unusual that way you're doing it.

Why do you? you don't live here. I do.
    Uh FAIL, I do live 'here', and was probably 'here' before you were alive.

Both rita's closed in 2 years in Newark.. FAIL.
    Yeah, nice avoidance...I see how quickly you avoided the line in the article that said that all 8 loft apartments were rented quickly. Nice try.

Yeah, nice avoidance...I see how quickly you avoided the line in the article that said that all 8 apartments were rented quickly. Nice try.

To bad they are all still empty lol. drive by and see

I believe once before you said you were leaving, fair enough, but is the venting along the way going to make it easier?

To bad they are all still empty lol. drive by and see
    I did, those pics I posted earlier were to compare the pic you provided of the Bowers from the 70s. there seems to be a gallery at the base on the right (wasn't sure about the left). You live much closer to downtown than I do so you would know if they're still empty before I would.