Page 167 of 668 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267667 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 10018

Thread: Newark Development

Please the Nets are just doing this as a stopover to Brooklyn. The NBA will never award another team to Jersey. None of the big NBA stars even want to come play in Newark; they only reason they would come is because of Brooklyn is two years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Please the Nets are just doing this as a stopover to Brooklyn. The NBA will never award another team to Jersey. None of the big NBA stars even want to come play in Newark; they only reason they would come is because of Brooklyn is two years down the road.
    I know there leaving in 2 years but at least newark gets some type of spot light

Not totally buyin' it. David Stern can't last forever, especially if there's a lockout looming.

And the stars WANT to go to Brooklyn? Are you serious? What lure is Brooklyn? Coney Island? Bed-Stuy? Crown Heights? Sunset Park? Better hope the Knicks don't get decent if they wind up there. How about the fact they are a lame-duck franchise with a 12-70 record whose management disrespects the fanbase by promoting their team's opponents?

PS the biggest NHL free agent ever came to Newark and starts playing tomorrow night. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    Not totally buyin' it. David Stern can't last forever, especially if there's a lockout looming.

And the stars WANT to go to Brooklyn? Are you serious? What lure is Brooklyn? Coney Island? Bed-Stuy? Crown Heights? Sunset Park? Better hope the Knicks don't get decent if they wind up there. How about the fact they are a lame-duck franchise with a 12-70 record whose management disrespects the fanbase by promoting their team's opponents?

PS the biggest NHL free agent ever came to Newark and starts playing tomorrow night. Just sayin'
    I hear ya I'm a Devils and Nets fan and I've been goin to MANY games at the Rock for Devs; its my home away from home after Yankee Stadium. The Nets have always been moving around; the Meadowlands is where they stuck the longest. This new managment (Ratner and the new ownership) has never cared about New Jersey. They took the "NJ" shield off the court and shorts than retired the very attractice navy blue "New Jersey" jerseys and made those god awful red "Nets" jerseys the new aways. The New Jersey Nets are now the Nets from "no-where". The ownership can't get them out of here fast enough. I'm finally sick of them personally.

There is alot of lure to Brooklyn in all fairness; way more than Newark. BAM, Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, plus how many TV shows and movies have mentioned Brooklyn or taken place there; ALOT!! Juniors, Brooklyn Bridge Park, the Brooklyn Bridge, Brighton Beach, Williamsburg, the new Coney Island and just the culture of Brooklyn for crying out loud. Yes Brooklyn has MANY undesireable places just like Jersey City, Queens, Bronx, Hoboken, Yonkers etc... Newark has WAY more of them however and plus Brooklyn is part of NYC don't forget that. Brooklyn is lightyears ahead of Newark too in terms of its redevelopment.

The NHL and NBA are different in many ways. The NBA is all about glitz and glamor. It promotes it with celebs at the games in LA and NY, the All-Star game at Cowboys Stadium, the global appeal, playing preseason games all across the globe, and it has become a white collar sport in terms of ticket prices and fan base. Also many of the NBA players are Brooklyn born. The NHL is a blue color league and sport with players with funny names and abscure players in main stream sports circiles. While Sid the Kid, Ovechkin, Brodeur, Parise are recognizable to fans and casual fans alike, most of the players are abscure to the rest of the non-hockey world. The Winter Classic all started as gimick in "new" NHL. Pluse the Devils have an AMAZING amount of success for a team that just showed up in 1982! The Devils are more succesful overall in their short time than the Rangers are in their entire history! The Devils are like the San Antonio Spurs of the NHL and are committed to winning. They have philosphy similar to the Yankees. So it is not hard for the Devils to attract and big time player.

Not trying to nitpick, but I simply think Newark's far too small to have that much more undesirable spots than BK. Having worked in BK, its more likely that it's recently gentrified areas offset the bad (BK came up) but it still has a lot of 'no-gos'.

I still think the Nets could ultimately go further in Newark than in BK. Why? b/c in BK they'll always be the 'Mets', never the Yanks lol. Sure the NY name is there, w/ the NY flavor...but they'll never be the Knicks. In NJ, they wouldn't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    Not trying to nitpick, but I simply think Newark's far too small to have that much more undesirable spots than BK. Having worked in BK, its more likely that it's recently gentrified areas offset the bad (BK came up) but it still has a lot of 'no-gos'.

I still think the Nets could ultimately go further in Newark than in BK. Why? b/c in BK they'll always be the 'Mets', never the Yanks lol. Sure the NY name is there, w/ the NY flavor...but they'll never be the Knicks. In NJ, they wouldn't have to be.
    You have a point Nexus; I've had family and friends in BK for many years and have seen the "no-gos". However Newark's bad areas get more press than the bad areas of NYC do. Combine that with crime in Irvington and East Orange all being lumped together with Newark's doesn't help either. The perception of Newark is much worse than NYCs and I do think that contributes to keep people, business, etc at bay whether it be de-jure or defacto.

LOL. Cmon the Nets have always been the "mets" when compared to the Knicks even in Jersey.

Newark City Council adopts 16 percent property tax hike
    Published: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 1:20 PM Updated: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 1:24 PM
    David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger
    Follow Share this story
    Story tools
    Jerry McCrea/The Star-LedgerThe council listens to a speaker during a Newark City Council pre-meeting held at Newark City Hall on Wednesday.
    Share 2 Comments NEWARK — The Newark City Council adopted a series of amendments to the city budget today that would increase property taxes by 16 percent, representing an increase of $780 for the average homeowner.
    The tax hike, combined with roughly 850 layoffs, is the city’s response to one of the worst budget crises in decades, but the hit to taxpayers is far less than budget officials had previously warned, thanks largely to a plan put forward by the council to sell a spate of city buildings and lease them back.
    After weeks of grueling negotiations between the state, county and city, the sale/leaseback plan is expected to infuse $40 million into the 2010 budget. With a series of other one-time revenues as well as some last minute cuts, the city has filled an $83 million deficit created after the failure of Mayor Cory Booker’s plan to create a municipal utilities authority.
    “I don’t love the idea of a sale/leaseback. I don’t think any of us do. It’s not sustainable,” said West Ward Councilman Ronald Rice, who proposed the idea months ago as an alternative to the MUA. But with less than three months left in the budget year, the other option would have been a steep tax hike to Newark property owners.
    “With the failure of the MUA, if we had not explored this possibility we would be talking about a 40 percent tax increase,” said At-Large Councilman Carlos Gonzalez, who chairs the council’s budget committee.
    Taxpayers saw their bills go up by 7 percent in the third quarter. Fourth quarter bills will tack on the remaining 9 percent.
    The council still has one week to make further cuts before adopting the budget. The council plans to meet on either Oct. 13 or Oct. 14.

I love my tax abatement

Newark Bears’ 2011 Plans Become More Clear

Phil Hoops *Entertainment Photo Credit: Phil Hoops

It’s been nearly one month since the Newark Bears played their final game at Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium here in Newark. Soon after the chilly rainout, the fans were told that the team would return in 2011, however many were skeptical as to whether or not the team would really be back.
    After all, this speculation was certainly justifiable after all of the team’s jerseys were sold to the general public as a part of an auction.
    The Bears will be back, but in essence by name only. It appears that the team will be undergoing a number of significant changes between now and Opening Day 2011. As first reported by NJ.com’s Tom Wright-Piersanti, the Newark Bears franchise has been sold back to Tom Cetnar, who owned the team back in 2009. Furthermore, Cetnar is hoping to move the team from the Atlantic League, which they’ve been a part of since 1998, to the Can-Am League.
    An excerpt from the NJ.com article:
    According to Cetnar, the Atlantic League teams have more veteran major league players, but he said there is little difference in the quality of the two leagues.
    “It’s like an American League and a National League,” Cetnar said “We’re just switching to the National League.”
    Personally, I would have to disagree with this statement. The Atlantic League is more on par with Triple-A affiliated teams, such as the Buffalo Bisons (Mets) and the Scranton/Wilksbare Yankees (Yankees), in terms of the caliber of players. On the flip-side the Can-Am League is generally considered a lower-level tier of baseball featuring numerous unproven prospects.
    I understand why this move needs to be made. The team was likely losing money, as most of their home games or at least the ones that I went to, never seemed to come anywhere close to filling out the 6,000+ capacity stadium. Now instead of having to finance playing 140 games the team will only have to account for 94 games due to the fact that the Can-Am League plays a shorter schedule. Less games means less travel expenses although the team will now have to travel to Canada to play certain teams in the league.
    Also, you’d have to think that with a roster filled with unproven youngsters will command quite a bit less in salary than one that is comprised of ex-MLB players. Still, I’m a bit skeptical. What do the Bears in the Can-Am League bring to the table that the Bears in the Atlantic League didn’t?
    History doesn’t look to kindly on this type of move. Just look at the case of the Nashua Pride, who like the Bears moved from the Atlantic League to the Can-Am League as a result of financial struggles and folded entirely soon after. If the Bears fail to succeed in the Can-Am League financially, there is a very real possibility they could go into hibernation for the foreseeable future.

Newark high school students walk out in protest of filthy, unsafe school environment

Published: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 9:25 PM Updated: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 9:25 PM

Victoria St. Martin/The Star-Ledger
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

Google MapsA map of Newark, where students at Barringer High School walked out in protest of their school's unsafe and unsanitary environment. 94Share

20 Comments

NEWARK — They say there’s rats, mice, cockroaches, spiders, guns and fights in the hallways.
    That’s why students say they walked out of a Newark high school today, to protest what they called a filthy school environment that’s also not safe. They also called for the return of the school’s former principal.
    During the afternoon protest, students walked out of Barringer High School in staggered waves of 10 or 20. Some students said security guards blocked doors to prevent anyone from going outside.
    A large crowd came outside when the fire alarm sounded, but soon went back in.
    The demonstration came two weeks after authorities said a 15-year-old student was sexually assaulted inside a classroom at the Parker Street school. A 17-year-old student was arrested in connection with the Sept. 22 incident, police said.
    Students got the word out about the protest on Facebook and said they’ve had enough of feeling unsafe and learning in an unsanitary school.
    PREVIOUS COVERAGE:
    Newark teen is charged with sex assault of 15-year-old student in school
    Teen charged with theft of Newark police car after fight

"It’s like a jungle," said Ashley Martinez, a 17-year-old senior at the high school. "The school’s out of control and I don’t feel safe."
    Valerie Merritt, a spokeswoman for Newark schools, said the district has encountered insect and rodent problems over the years, but the system’s facilities team regularly exterminates and conducts daily and weekly cleanings.
    On several Facebook pages about the protest — one had more than 300 members who said they would attend the event — students said they need to see a dramatic change.
    Tyree Thomas, also a 17-year-old senior, said he created a Facebook page about the protest because he feels like Barringer lacks structure. Thomas said he did not have a class schedule until the third week of school.
    Merritt said some of Barringer’s students did not have their class schedules at the start of the school year, however the district worked with the school to ensure each student had a schedule and the "matter has been rectified."
    The high school, with grades 10-12, has about 1,300 students.
    Thomas also said he wants the district to hire back the school’s former principal, Jose Aviles, who was transferred to another school. Aviles, who was principal at Barringer for two years, was vice principal at a city elementary school until he resigned shortly after the school year began to go to a local charter school.
    The current principal is on medical leave, said Merritt.
    Aviles said he was flattered by the call for his return. "I miss them," he said of the students.
    "If somehow, someway, I could come back, I would," he said.
    He also said students had the right to protest. But he said the protest should not have been during school hours.
    "We’ve endured this from September 2 until now," said Thomas. "We’ve waited too long and we’re sick of the violence."

Lets go Nets!

Newark's Columbus Hospital is reopens as specialty hospital for critical care

Published: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 5:38 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 5:38 PM

Philip Read/The Star-Ledger
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

Robert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerNewark Mayor Cory Booker holds onto a pair of ceremonial scissors after the official ribbon cutting for the Columbus Hospital LTACH (Long Term Acute Care Hospital) at the Columbus Medical Arts Building. The new facility is the largest freestanding multi-specialty Long Term Acute Care Hospital in New Jersey 55Share

6 Comments

NEWARK — Columbus Hospital, a fixture in Newark’s North Ward since 1934, had largely been given up for dead.
    Back on June 6, 2008, it stopped accepting patients and became something akin to an urgent care center. But today, Columbus was thrust into a new and larger role as an entity called an LTACH.
    “This is not a common concept. LTACH? What is an LTACH?” said Nail Fatah, who as the medical director of the 66-bed Long Term Acute Care Hospital oversees what is toted as New Jersey’s largest free-standing one.
    In essence, it is a specialty hospital, intended for critical-care patients who don’t respond to short-term treatment in general hospitals and require an average 25-day stay because they, for example, might be dependent on ventilators or suffering from multi-organ failure.
    “Today, we’re celebrating the re-birth of Columbus Hospital,” Anibal Ramos Jr., Newark’s North Ward councilman, proclaimed at an official opening of the state-of-the-art hospital.
    Matthew Hamilton, the president and chief executive of Columbus Hospital LTACH, led Newark Mayor Cory Booker and an entourage of city and medical officials on a tour of floors that had been gutted and re-made into state-of-the-art intensive-care units with board-certified physicians and ICU-trained nurses. The makeover’s pricetag: more than $10 million.
    They passed a nursing station and ‑— quietly — patient rooms. “The outcomes are phenomenal,” Hamilton said. “Beds that will weigh you, take your temperature.”
    Also present was Richard Lipsky, who left his native Russia decades ago, became a successful Bergen County anesthesiologist and, finally, the acquirer of a few New Jersey hospital campuses, including Columbus’.
    PREVIOUS COVERAGE:
    Another Newark hospital stops admitting patients
    Newark's Columbus Hospital to provide some services after it closes

“I was blessed with a good practice, and here we are,” said a smiling Lipsky, who is also the LTACH’s chairman of the board.
    The opening of the facility will create 400 jobs, some at $35 an hour, some paying even more, Lipsky said.
    He teamed up with his brother, Michael, to purchase the campus via MedRealty, leasing it back to the for-profit Columbus Hospital LTACH.
    “So that’s the story. It was a figment of imagination,” he said. And the American Dream? “I guess so,” he said. “Russia was a communist country. I was lucky to get out.”
    Robert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerNewark Mayor Cory Booker shakes hands with hospital patient, Ray Barrett, of Newark, while touring the Columbus Hospital LTACH (Long Term Acute Care Hospital) at the Columbus Medical Arts Building.
    Robert H. Evans, the chief executive of St. Michael’s Medical Center, recognized Lipsky’s role in the makeover of a hospital shuttered by St. Michael’s and Columbus’ previous owner, Cathedral Healthcare Corp. “Obviously, he has capitalist DNA,” Evans said.
    Together, the various partners came together, led by what Booker called the “larger vision of possibilities” of St. Michael’s new owner, Cathedral Health East, and the “can-do-it-ness” of Lipsky. “We have created a way out of no-way,” the mayor said in typical Booker-speak.
    The new hospital, whose symbol is the bow of a ship plowing through the water, starting accepting patients in August, Hamilton said.
    “The LTACH is the newest post-discharge vehicle that Medicare wants,” he said of the government’s national health insurance program for people 65 and older. “It creates cost savings.”
    It’s a phenomenon acknowledged by the New Jersey Hospital Association.
    “Traditional, acute-care hospitals have been encouraged to move patients out of hospitals faster,” said Kerry McKean Kelly, a NJHA spokeswoman.
    That, she said, has had the dual benefits of limiting patient exposure to hospital infections as well as containing health-case costs. “Nevertheless,” she said, “you do have a population of patients who have an acute need for an extended period of time.”

Sounds like a newark style land grab:

Montclair wants to redevelop vacant auto lots downtown

Published: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 6:09 AM

Nic Corbett/For The Star-Ledger
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

MONTCLAIR -- In place of the long-vacant auto dealerships occupying prime real estate in downtown Montclair, the mayor envisions a continuous “pedestrian mecca” that connects fashion boutiques and fancy restaurants on Church Street with the art museum up Bloomfield Avenue.
    The township planning board voted Monday to declare the buildings that used to house Jaguar, Volvo and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships an “area in need of redevelopment.” The recommendation next goes to the council for approval.
    0Share

3 Comments

Intended to spur development on 2 acres at Bloomfield Avenue and Valley Road, the designation provides incentives to make over the property by offering long-term tax abatement and flexibility with zoning regulations.
    A developer, Pinnacle Companies, is in talks with property owner DCH Auto Group on a development that would combine residences, retail shops and possibly office space and a hotel, while using solar panels, geothermal heating and cooling and cogeneration power technology. Pinnacle’s president and CEO Brian M. Stolar said he’d like to install electric car-charging stations, set up shuttles to a nearby train station and offer day-rental cars and bikes.
    “We’re looking, at the end of the day, for this to be one of the most advanced projects from the perspective of sustainable energy, green design, and pedestrian-friendly and bicycle- friendly environments,” Stolar said.
    DCH Auto Group stopped operating in Montclair two years ago because of declining new car sales. But the company is still paying the township $300,000 annually in taxes on the buildings and a payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreement for a six-level parking deck built on township land, said its lawyer, Cal Trevenen.
    Another tool in the “area in need of redevelopment” designation -- eminent domain -- had nearby business owners in a panic. After hearing their objections, the planning board decided to not include their properties in the redevelopment area.
    Joe Ferrara, vice president of a family-owned auto body shop on Orange Road, said he was shocked when he got a letter in late August notifying him his property could be seized. He hired an attorney and expert witness who successfully dissuaded the board.
    Mayor Jerry Fried said it was never the township’s intent to force any of the businesses off the block. Representatives from Pinnacle and DCH Auto Group said at the meeting the inclusion of the businesses isn’t necessary for the planned development.
    But Ferrara, who said a Pinnacle representative informally made an offer to buy his family’s property, was wary.
    “It definitely is a suspicious set of circumstances, if someone puts an offer on your property one month, and the next month you get a letter about eminent domain,” he said. “But, again, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.”
    If the council agrees with the designation, township planner Janice Talley said the next step is to form a redevelopment plan.

Default Small bone for Brick-Cit?

BofA halts foreclosure sales in 50 states

AP – FILE - In this July 13, 2010 file photo, Bank of America's headquarters are shown in Charlotte, N.C. …
    By ALAN ZIBEL, AP Real Estate Writer Alan Zibel, Ap Real Estate Writer – 16 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Bank of America Corp., the nation's largest bank, said Friday it would stop sales of foreclosed homes in all 50 states as it reviews potential flaws in foreclosure documents.

A week earlier, the company had said it would only stop such sales in the 23 states where foreclosures must be approved by a judge. The move comes amid evidence that mortgage company employees or their lawyers signed documents in foreclosure cases without verifying the information in them.

"We will stop foreclosure sales until our assessment has been satisfactorily completed," company spokesman Dan Frahm said in a statement. "Our ongoing assessment shows the basis for our past foreclosure decisions is accurate." Concern is growing that mortgage lenders have been evicting homeowners using flawed court papers. State and federal officials have been ramping up pressure on the over worries about potential legal violations.

On Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., urged five large mortgage lenders to suspend foreclosures in Nevada until they have set up systems to make sure homeowners aren't "improperly directed into foreclosure proceedings." Nevada is not among the states where banks had suspended foreclosures.

Also Friday, PNC Financial Services Group said it is halting most foreclosures and evictions in 23 states for a month so it can review whether documents it submitted to courts complied with state laws. An official at the Pittsburgh-based bank confirmed the decision on Friday, which was reported earlier by the New York Times. The official requested anonymity because the decision hasn't been publicly announced.

PNC becomes the fourth major U.S. lender to halt some foreclosures amid evidence that mortgage company employees or their lawyers signed documents in foreclosure cases without verifying the information in them.

In addition to PNC and Bank of America, Ally Financial's GMAC Mortgage unit and JPMorgan Chase & Co. have announced similar moves in the past two weeks.
    In some states, lenders can foreclose quickly on delinquent mortgage borrowers.

By contrast, the 23 states use a lengthy court process. They require documents to verify information on the mortgage, including who owns it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/...reclosure_mess

You have a point Nexus; I've had family and friends in BK for many years and have seen the "no-gos". However Newark's bad areas get more press than the bad areas of NYC do. Combine that with crime in Irvington and East Orange all being lumped together with Newark's doesn't help either. The perception of Newark is much worse than NYCs and I do think that contributes to keep people, business, etc at bay whether it be de-jure or defacto.

LOL. Cmon the Nets have always been the "mets" when compared to the Knicks even in Jersey.
    On the bolded I couldn't agree more.

As far as the Nets, lol, I never saw them as the Mets. I think the Devils were the Mets their first 10 years here, but then they made themselves known. I honestly don't think that could happen within NY city limits, the gravity of NY is too strong IMO

Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    Newark high school students walk out in protest of filthy, unsafe school environment

Published: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 9:25 PM Updated: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 9:25 PM

Victoria St. Martin/The Star-Ledger
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

Google MapsA map of Newark, where students at Barringer High School walked out in protest of their school's unsafe and unsanitary environment. 94Share

20 Comments

NEWARK — They say there’s rats, mice, cockroaches, spiders, guns and fights in the hallways.
    That’s why students say they walked out of a Newark high school today, to protest what they called a filthy school environment that’s also not safe. They also called for the return of the school’s former principal.
    During the afternoon protest, students walked out of Barringer High School in staggered waves of 10 or 20. Some students said security guards blocked doors to prevent anyone from going outside.
    A large crowd came outside when the fire alarm sounded, but soon went back in.
    The demonstration came two weeks after authorities said a 15-year-old student was sexually assaulted inside a classroom at the Parker Street school. A 17-year-old student was arrested in connection with the Sept. 22 incident, police said.
    Students got the word out about the protest on Facebook and said they’ve had enough of feeling unsafe and learning in an unsanitary school.
    PREVIOUS COVERAGE:
    Newark teen is charged with sex assault of 15-year-old student in school
    Teen charged with theft of Newark police car after fight

"It’s like a jungle," said Ashley Martinez, a 17-year-old senior at the high school. "The school’s out of control and I don’t feel safe."
    Valerie Merritt, a spokeswoman for Newark schools, said the district has encountered insect and rodent problems over the years, but the system’s facilities team regularly exterminates and conducts daily and weekly cleanings.
    On several Facebook pages about the protest — one had more than 300 members who said they would attend the event — students said they need to see a dramatic change.
    Tyree Thomas, also a 17-year-old senior, said he created a Facebook page about the protest because he feels like Barringer lacks structure. Thomas said he did not have a class schedule until the third week of school.
    Merritt said some of Barringer’s students did not have their class schedules at the start of the school year, however the district worked with the school to ensure each student had a schedule and the "matter has been rectified."
    The high school, with grades 10-12, has about 1,300 students.
    Thomas also said he wants the district to hire back the school’s former principal, Jose Aviles, who was transferred to another school. Aviles, who was principal at Barringer for two years, was vice principal at a city elementary school until he resigned shortly after the school year began to go to a local charter school.
    The current principal is on medical leave, said Merritt.
    Aviles said he was flattered by the call for his return. "I miss them," he said of the students.
    "If somehow, someway, I could come back, I would," he said.
    He also said students had the right to protest. But he said the protest should not have been during school hours.
    "We’ve endured this from September 2 until now," said Thomas. "We’ve waited too long and we’re sick of the violence."

Lets go Nets!
    Nothing new here,as far as school conditions go. Fights? how is that the schools problem? The day Teachers are given mind control over kids, thats when school violence ends. I attended Newark public schools and I'm sick and tired of the BLAME THE SCHOOLS AND BAD TEACHERS MANTRA!!! The ghetto lifestyle is one of hipocrisy!! One one hand the ghetto kids wont study or pay attention,on the other, the ghetto lobby and associated parents(who themselves did'nt study,therefore poor &ghetto) want to hang the teachers for the student failures. Why is it that the few white and asian kids are always the valedictorians and the a-b-c students??? THEY SIT SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE GHETTO -BY-CHOICE students ,who refuse to study and harrass and attack the Asians,black Haitians and whites. Just another excuse by ghetto thug kids to skip classes! Barringer was such a decent high school in the 90's Not an 800 SAT school, but rather paradise compared to the savage Central high School enviroment,where Haitian immigrant kids were beaten to near death by African American wolf packs for "acting white"(getting A's and B's). Up untill 1989, Barringer was mainly Italian,Puerto Rican,Cuban,some Portuguese.Also some Blacks from the Grafton avenue Walsh Projects. It was fed by Broadway Junior High ( now Luis Munoz Marin middle school.) 4 elementary schools...1st ave school(Portuguese/Italian-some PR's),my childhood school-Elliott street(Puerto Rican,Cuban,a few Italians & Blacks serving the old woodside area),Ridge street(Italian-serving Forest hill),Broadway Elementary(Black,serving the walsh projects),And finally,Roberto Clemente school(Puerto Rican). In 1989, the Black run Newark board of education,forced blacks from the central ward,including the notorious Baxter Terrace projects, into Barringer High by changing the district lines. Broadway Junior high was changed into a middle school to force all Italian and hispanics into Barringer prep,located just north of downtown,for the 9th grade. It was a school well known for violence and racial tension! From there, all to Barringer high school! Barringer went to hell after this. All Italians moved out of Newark by the mid 1990's. Now the Puerto Ricans are moving out. They are being replaced by worse riff raff from central ward,Mexico and central america, with their MS13 crap.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; October 8th, 2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    Sounds like a newark style land grab:

Montclair wants to redevelop vacant auto lots downtown

Published: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 6:09 AM

Nic Corbett/For The Star-Ledger
    Follow
    Share this story

Story tools

MONTCLAIR -- In place of the long-vacant auto dealerships occupying prime real estate in downtown Montclair, the mayor envisions a continuous “pedestrian mecca” that connects fashion boutiques and fancy restaurants on Church Street with the art museum up Bloomfield Avenue.
    The township planning board voted Monday to declare the buildings that used to house Jaguar, Volvo and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships an “area in need of redevelopment.” The recommendation next goes to the council for approval.
    0Share

3 Comments

Intended to spur development on 2 acres at Bloomfield Avenue and Valley Road, the designation provides incentives to make over the property by offering long-term tax abatement and flexibility with zoning regulations.
    A developer, Pinnacle Companies, is in talks with property owner DCH Auto Group on a development that would combine residences, retail shops and possibly office space and a hotel, while using solar panels, geothermal heating and cooling and cogeneration power technology. Pinnacle’s president and CEO Brian M. Stolar said he’d like to install electric car-charging stations, set up shuttles to a nearby train station and offer day-rental cars and bikes.
    “We’re looking, at the end of the day, for this to be one of the most advanced projects from the perspective of sustainable energy, green design, and pedestrian-friendly and bicycle- friendly environments,” Stolar said.
    DCH Auto Group stopped operating in Montclair two years ago because of declining new car sales. But the company is still paying the township $300,000 annually in taxes on the buildings and a payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreement for a six-level parking deck built on township land, said its lawyer, Cal Trevenen.
    Another tool in the “area in need of redevelopment” designation -- eminent domain -- had nearby business owners in a panic. After hearing their objections, the planning board decided to not include their properties in the redevelopment area.
    Joe Ferrara, vice president of a family-owned auto body shop on Orange Road, said he was shocked when he got a letter in late August notifying him his property could be seized. He hired an attorney and expert witness who successfully dissuaded the board.
    Mayor Jerry Fried said it was never the township’s intent to force any of the businesses off the block. Representatives from Pinnacle and DCH Auto Group said at the meeting the inclusion of the businesses isn’t necessary for the planned development.
    But Ferrara, who said a Pinnacle representative informally made an offer to buy his family’s property, was wary.
    “It definitely is a suspicious set of circumstances, if someone puts an offer on your property one month, and the next month you get a letter about eminent domain,” he said. “But, again, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.”
    If the council agrees with the designation, township planner Janice Talley said the next step is to form a redevelopment plan.
    Im sure the lady judge that killed Newark's downtown redevelopment....whats her name?...ah, yes, the (DIS) Honorable Paula Simonelly,GODDESS JUDGE OF JUDGES, great city slayer!!!,,,,ANYWAY,Im sure she will stop a potential Montclair land grab,the same way she stopped Newark. No wait...isn't she from Suburbs/Montclair??? Montclair wins!!!!!!