National Newark Building and 1180 Raymond Boulevard undergoing
    renovation.

Military Park Building

80 Park Plaza with reflection of Military Building

Prudential Plaza Building

NJPAC
    I hope everyone enjoyed them

Need to import some people.

I always thought that little area by the PSEG building can be a mini rockerfella plaza, the huge fountain resembles the skating rink, they gotta do something about the carlton motel though

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320
    Actually that is the Newark Subway system. This an extension of it. The mainline goes underground quite a ways and later comes above ground deeper in Newark by Branch Brook Park and then into Bellville. Great pics by the way.
    It is an extension of sorts, but the Light Rail is its own project called the Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link. What they have in common is they both terminate at Penn Station, and the City Subway has upgraded to the technology that was initially proposed for the Light Rail.
    The Light Rail was originally intended to head south to Elizabeth all the way to the port terminals, but that's on hold for now.

Nice photos.That McKim, Mead, and White waiting room at Penn Station is sensational.

NJPAC unveils plan for high-rise development

The New Jersey Performing Arts Center unveiled plans today for a high-rise development across Center Street in downtown Newark. The first major expansion since the arts center opened in 1997, the high-rise would feature at least 250 residential units - including 50 reserved for performing and visual artists - 30,000-square feet of street-level retail and structured parking for 700 cars.

“This is a complicated project in an untested market, but it’s time for Newark to have a 24/7 downtown,” Lawrence P. Goldman, NJPAC’s president and CEO, said.

The project, to be known as Two Center Street, will be built on 1.2 acres between Park and Mulberry streets, across from the arts center’s entrance. The land now features a two-story building and parking lot. There are two more planned developments on the art center’s 16-acre footprint.

NJPAC hopes to select a developer for the $100 million-plus building by the end of this year, and to open the site in 2010. NJPAC has already invested $2.5 million in the preliminary stages of the effort, which was first detailed in its master plan in 1988.

Built with $185 million from public and private sources, NJPAC features the multi-use 2,750-seat Prudential Hall and the 514-seat Victoria Theater. In its first eight seasons, the venue has attracted more than 4 million people to classical and pop concerts, dance, theater and jazz programs.

Contributed by Peggy McGlone

March 16, 2006
    Arts Center Has a Plan to Help Newark Revive
    By RONALD SMOTHERS

A rendering of a housing and retail complex costing more than $100 million, proposed for land across the street from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

Lawrence P. Goldman, chief executive of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, said that "no city can be great without downtown housing."

NEWARK, March 15 — For nearly 40 years, Newark has been trying to fight its way back from the riots of the 1960's and a generation in which people and businesses spilled out of the city to the suburbs on the highways that crisscross it.

In fits and starts over the last decade, residents have seen some progress in rebuilding the state's largest city: a minor league ballpark, the start of construction on a new hockey arena for the New Jersey Devils, the addition of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

But the benefits, like jobs and tax revenues, have not been obvious, and the urban ills of poverty, high crime, gang violence and substandard housing have persisted. To many, a sense of excitement may not have caught on, and they question whether Newark has actually turned a corner.

Now civic leaders and city officials are hoping to give the city another little push toward revival, this time pinning their hopes on the performing arts center.

Built nine years ago, at a cost of $187 million, the center has been a surprise success story, drawing both crowds and interest, and serving as an effective good-will ambassador for downtown Newark.

On Wednesday, Lawrence P. Goldman, the president and chief executive of the arts center, announced a plan to expand both the scope and presence of the complex, in the hopes that it will transform that part of Newark into a haven for artists and art lovers.

The center is seeking developers interested in becoming a partner in the construction of 250 units of mostly market-rate housing and street-level retail space on a plot of land it owns across the street from the red-brick-and-glass building that houses its concert hall and theater and restaurant complexes.

Mr. Goldman said the proposed housing towers, like the performing arts center, would look out over the Passaic River and form a southern boundary to an area now envisioned as a "theater square."

Under the plan, 20 percent of the apartments would be set aside for artists with modest incomes, Mr. Goldman said; the rest would be market-rate rentals. The project involves the first new residential construction in downtown Newark in a generation, he said.

The project is necessary, he said in an interview, "because no city can be great without downtown housing."

If the project gets off the ground, it will be only the latest residential development downtown. Public and private partners are also creating 324 housing units in a former office building, and Rutgers University is building a dorm for its Newark campus a block away from the arts center.

In nearby neighborhoods, Mr. Goldman said, town houses and two-family homes are sprouting on vacant lots where for years there had been only wildflowers and tall grass.

"Urban transformation has always been in the performing arts center's DNA," Mr. Goldman said. "Now we want to ride the wave and amplify the wave of what is happening in Newark."

The cost is estimated at more than $100 million, and most of it would be privately financed, but the center will probably seek some public money to help defray the cost of an underground parking garage. Mr. Goldman said he was confident that public money would be found.

He has some experience in this kind of project. Before coming to Newark, he was the vice president of Carnegie Hall, and he promoted its expansion into housing and office space. The Carnegie Hall Tower includes a mini artists colony in Midtown and has generated considerable income for Carnegie Hall.

Newark is not the only urban area to pin its revival hopes on an arts institution. Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Brooklyn — around the Brooklyn Academy of Music — and myriad smaller struggling cities have hoped to lure more artists and related businesses to their struggling downtowns.

Although arts institutions are important, said Michael D. Beyard, a senior fellow at the Urban Land Institute, they alone are not a "silver bullet" against urban blight. "If an arts institution is lucky," he said, "they do not have to take much action after they are built, and the private sector will do the heavy lifting of revitalization. But that is the exception and not the rule. Many downtowns have declined so far that to recreate the market is not easy."

But Arthur Stern, the chief executive of the Cogswell Realty Group, said he saw other signs that Newark was ripe for revival. His company has already staked more than $200 million on efforts to rebuild the city, including the purchase and renovation of the city's tallest building, a historic office tower. The building, at 744 Broad Street, which reopened in 1999, is nearly full and includes a Starbucks on the ground floor. The company is also completing the renovation of a 28-story Art Deco office tower into 324 units of market-rate housing, with health clubs and a bowling alley for tenants.

Mr. Goldman said that the performing arts center would seek proposals from several dozen developers with experience in urban settings. Arthur F. Ryan, chairman and chief executive of Prudential Financial, who is co-chairman of the center's board, said the company that was chosen would have to share the center's commitment to "artistic excellence, opportunity for all and racial diversity."

The performing arts center has attracted more than four million people to performances in the nine years it has been open, said Mr. Goldman, who called it an artistic success. Consequently, he said, now was the right time to make the foray into housing.

The planned housing will not provide anywhere near the income for the center that Carnegie Hall's office tower has, he said. But he noted that the Newark center owns another nearby parcel, which it would seek to develop next.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Here's the website for the newly renovated 1180 Raymond Boulevard. I got myself on the VIP list to preview the apartments so I'm going this weekend. The amenities this building is offering are private lounge, four-lane bowling alley, bastketball court, private health club, and 24-hour valet parking, to name just a few. I'm guesing they are really counting on this building to rejuvenate Newark's downtown. I can't wait

www.eleven80newark.com

NEWARK'S NEW LOOK
    March 18, 2006

By ADAM BONISLAWSKI

GREEN GIANT: The Mulberry Street Promenade will include condos and shops. -- Welcome to brand Newark, a city that's gone from urban blight to pure possibility

It didn't take GLC Group principals Mark Caller and Pinny Loketch long to figure out that they'd hit upon a good thing with their plan to renovate Newark's Parc West building. Before their work on the six-story prewar structure across the street from 311-acre Weequahic Park was even complete, a number of locals had already stopped by to inquire about purchasing an apartment.

"We were approached many times by people in the neighborhood just passing by who'd been watching the renovations and wanted to know about buying a unit in the building," Caller says.

It's the sort of story a person would expect from Manhattan's ever-booming real-estate scene, but Newark? A hot property? Really?

Increasingly, the answer is yes. While for many tristate residents the city has long been synonymous with urban blight, the last few years have seen the area's renewal kick into full swing.

"Five years ago there wasn't a chance that we'd even consider selling apartments here," Caller says. "It was hard enough just running rental properties.

"But I've seen the city change right in front of my eyes just over the last few years. ... You see new homes going up on every single block in Newark."

The Parc West's 44 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments went to market in late February, with prices ranging from $99,000 to $279,819. Over half the units were reserved in one week.

Among these buyers was Rahway, N.J., resident Dennis Wilks, who, like Caller and Loketch, senses that the city is on the rebound.

"I've known Newark practically my whole life," he says, "and I thought that this would be a good time to buy, because the city is up-and-coming. ... Crime has been going down. People are coming back to invest in the city."

Wilks was also drawn by the Parc West's old-time charms. As Caller notes, efforts were made to play up the building's prewar amenities by restoring original moldings and wood-floor detailing - and preserving the building's Tudor exterior, 1929 elevator lobby and marble staircase.

"It reminds me of some of your old condos in New York City," says Wilks, who bought a Parc West one-bedroom.

Being right across from Weequahic Park doesn't hurt, either. Stocked with tennis courts, a golf course and an 80-acre lake, the park - designed in 1901 by the firm of Central Park planner Frederick Law Olmsted - is no doubt a draw.

Katherine Gray, who, with her husband, James, recently reserved a one-bedroom in the Parc West, remembers the spot from her school days just down the street at Weequahic High.
    "I'm dating myself, but I remember when they used to run trotters in the park," she says. "There used to be a big clubhouse there, and people would sit and watch the horses run around the track."

Having lived in Newark for much of her life, Gray has seen many stages of the city's transformation.

"There's been a remarkable change compared to five years ago," she says. "Then there was literally nothing. Now the city is really coming alive."

Ken Baris, president of real-estate firm Jordan Baris - sales representative for the Parc West - has gotten a first-hand look at Newark's revitalization through his involvement with Summit Real Estate Developers' Southwyck Estates project in the South Ward.

A phased development consisting primarily of two-family homes, the project has sold more than 100 units since 2001, with roughly 50 more presently under contract and another 44 having recently come to market. Since the first homes went on sale about five years ago, prices have more than doubled, with units that initially started at $209,000 now selling for $399,900 to $459,900, "Back then, other developers didn't want to take the chance," Baris says. "We even had agents in the company saying that we were crazy for thinking we could get over $200,000 for these homes. But the reality was that the market was there."

It's a reality others are picking up on. Take, for instance, Matrix Development Group's plans for a $400 million mixed-use property on the Passaic River. When finished, the development will add 500 residences to downtown Newark.

Also downtown, the Mulberry Street Urban Renewal Company is looking to build on recent area additions, like the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, with a development called the Mulberry Street Promenade.

Current plans call for up to 2,200 market-rate condominiums and 180,000 square feet of restaurant, retail and office space to be built over 13 acres. Construction on the project's first phase is slated to begin this year, with roughly 100 one-, two- and three-bedroom units coming to market in late 2006.

A few blocks away by Military Park, Cogswell Real Estate Group is working to turn 1180 Raymond Blvd. and the former Hahnes department store and Griffith Piano Company buildings into high-end rental properties. At 1180 Raymond, 317 studio, one- and two-bedroom units are scheduled to hit the market July 1, with rents in the $1,300 to $3,500 range. The Hahnes and Griffith buildings, meanwhile, are being converted to 255 loft apartments that should be ready in 2007.
    According to Cogswell CEO Arthur Stern, these two projects represent the start of the company's multi-phase plan to bring some 3,000 new rental and condo units to the western border of Military Park over the next 10 years.

Of course, however high the current upswing might carry it, Newark will never be New York. Caller does see it, though, becoming something of a bargain alternative for those turned off or forced out by Gotham's sky-high prices.

"In Brooklyn, for example, if you want to buy an apartment in a decent area, it's going to be more than double what it is in Newark," he says. "This is a nice urban setting, and for people who want that urban setting, they can have it here for half the price."

this is friggin awesome. this is totally not the Newark I grew up with and thats such a good thing. Mid 80s- early 90s. great stuff for Newark

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Steel is going up for the stadium. Yesterday was the first day I noticed a sizeable amount of well dressed people East of Raymond on Broad in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrecco82
    Here's the website for the newly renovated 1180 Raymond Boulevard. I got myself on the VIP list to preview the apartments so I'm going this weekend. The amenities this building is offering are private lounge, four-lane bowling alley, bastketball court, private health club, and 24-hour valet parking, to name just a few. I'm guesing they are really counting on this building to rejuvenate Newark's downtown. I can't wait

www.eleven80newark.com
    How did that go? My wife and I were among the first three leases to go out for 1180. We're so excited to move in. Seeing the models is like torture, because we have to wait until July. We currently live in those monstrosities, The Pavillion. What a dump compared to our future digs.

I thought they did a remarkable job with that building, unfortunately, my significant other isn't too thrilled with area. So we'll see how that goes. Maybe I can do some persuasion.

The only thing wrong with that area is grafitti, not alot, but a little bit. I agree that they should do a better job of cleaning it up, especially when '07 comes around. Other than that, the area isn't bad at all, just the ususal city traffic and a good amount of suits walking by.
    Last edited by Marv95; March 31st, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95
    The only thing wrong with that area is grafitti, not alot, but a little bit. I agree that they should do a better job of cleaning it up, especially when '07 comes around.
    Definitely when the stadium opens. They should remember how important first impressions are to some people.