Page 4 of 666 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: Newark Development

^^So did you take a tour of the place I assume? Any details to share? A bowling alley and health club sounds cool; much better than Colonades, Pavillion, or Hallmark House(which isn't bad at all).

The models are beautiful. They really are going full force with this building. Marble bathrooms, washer and dryer included, nice large closets, and kitchens are nicely done ( granite countertops and stainless steel appliances). I was more in awe at the views! Sacred Heart Cathedral to the west with Branch Brook Park and the NYC skyline to the east. Absolutely WONDERFUL!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

They put up a model in Gateway Plaza for a new tower directly east of the Gateway center. It would replace a parking lot. Sorry I don't have a photo but it looks pretty nice, green glass, maybe 20 foors.

That model has been nearby in the Gateway casueways for at least five years. I noticed they put it next to the Devils Arena model but I assumed that was just for convenience.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thanks NY, I had not noticed it before. : )

Unhappy Damm Shame If This Happens!!!!!

Newark set to sell historic site
    Ballantine building, home of Science High, would be razed for Shaq's condo project

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
    BY KASI ADDISON AND JEFFERY C. MAYS
    Star-Ledger Staff

Another piece of Newark's history may fall victim to a wrecking ball in the name of redevelopment.

Once known as Malt House Number 3, the oldest remaining structure from the Peter Ballantine & Sons Ale Brewery in Newark has been home to Science High School for 23 years.

But Science High, one of the city's magnet schools, is scheduled to move into a new building on Norfolk Street in September. School officials were hoping they'd be able to keep renting the 146-year-old structure from the city for $1 a year and open another magnet program, American History High School, there.

Plans have changed.

A company owned by NBA star and Newark native Shaquille O'Neal wants to buy and demolish the historic school building at 40 Rector St., in the Central Ward, and build a luxury high-rise condominium complex.

The city is ready to sell -- at far below market value.

Today, the City Council will consider a resolution authorizing the sale of the property for $2.75 million. The building and land on which it sits have a combined market value of $6.5 million, according to city records.

Newark Business Administrator Richard Monteilh said the city is not receiving any tax revenue from the land or building. The condo project, he said, is in line with Newark's efforts to put vacant land and abandoned properties back on the tax rolls.

Wayne Garnes, who represents 36-54 Rector LLC, a company in which O'Neal is a principal, said that once the school building is demolished, a mixed-use condominium and retail project, called "One River View at Rector," will be built on the site.

"Both of these are signature projects for Shaquille. He's trying to do a nice job," Garnes said, referring to Science High and another residential project that O'Neal is backing on Springfield Avenue. "It's a fantastic project for the city."

Newark Schools Superintendent Marion Bolden wants the Science High building maintained as a school.

"It's not like we have buildings in our back pocket," she said. "I have overcrowding all over the district. A high school building is hard to find in this city."

The New Jersey Historical Society, Rutgers-Newark and the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History have been working with Bolden to establish the American History High School, which would incorporate history into literature, math and science classes.

"History is very undervalued in schools by students. This allows students to learn in a different way and gives teachers a chance to teach in a different way," said Clau dia Ocello, director of programs and exhibitions at the state historical society.

Because the district is facing a $65 million shortfall and the state is cutting aid, it's unlikely the district will be able to come up with the $500,000 to $700,000 needed to fund the new project this year, Bolden said.

But even if funding becomes available, it won't matter if the city sells the property, she said.

"With every passing day, it looks less likely an American History High School will open this year," Bolden said.

With all the financial problems the city and school district are fac ing, adding another school might not be a good idea, Monteilh said.

"The need for another major high school in Newark is something she has to work out with the state," Monteilh said, referring to Bolden. "We are looking for effi ciencies, not a plant expansion. Marion is an educator. This is a business decision."

The Science High building is the oldest and largest remaining structure from the Peter Ballantine & Sons Ale Brewery. Built in 1860, it was taken over by the former Dana College in 1933. When Dana College was absorbed by Rutgers University in 1945, the building was used as a chemistry lab. Essex County College leased the building for several years before the Newark Board of Education took it over in 1983.

Because the building is located in the Military Park Commons Historic District and has been listed on the state Register of Historic Places, the city needs state approval before it can sell it.

Darlene Yuhas, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said her agency had received no application from Newark yet.

Monteilh said council authorization to sell the building will allow the city to begin the process of get ting the necessary state approvals.

Douglas Eldridge, head of the Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, said his group opposes the demolition of the building because it is one of the most important buildings in the Military Park Commons Historic District.

Still, he said, the city should follow the necessary process if it wants to sell the building.

"We can't control the outcome, but we want it to get whatever review it's supposed to get. That's why historic districts were created," he said.

The city's historic preservationists already are trying to save another endangered building, the Mulberry Street firehouse, which made the list of Preservation New Jersey's 10 most endangered historic sites this year.

Plans call for the firehouse to be demolished so that Mulberry Street can be widened as part of a massive downtown redevelopment project, which includes construction of a new sports arena.

Glen Leiner, executive director of the Art Deco Society of New York, which conducts tours in Newark, said Science High is the most popular building on the tour, which includes Newark Penn Station and the city's subway.

"Newark has some real treasures, but this building is so visually rewarding that it's always the favorite," he said.

The multicolored terra cotta designs on the outside of the building have won the structure legions of fans, he said.

The loss of the building, he said, would "strip Newark of an architec tural treasure that is unique and strongly tied to the city's heritage."

Its good that Newark's own is investing back into the city but still, to tear a very historic site is robbing Newark's culture but I guess business is business.

Newark light rail gains steam
    Line will get in gear this summer
    Thursday, June 01, 2006
    BY RUDY LARINI
    Star-Ledger Staff

Newark's light-rail city subway extension is almost ready to roll.

With equipment testing and crew training under way, the first passengers should be riding along the one-mile light-rail line from Newark Penn Station to NJ Transit's Broad Street Station by early summer, said Dan Stessel, a spokesman for NJ Transit, which will operate the line. He could not pinpoint the start of service any more precisely.

"We won't be ready to set a date until we get a little further along on the testing and training phase of that segment," he said.

The $207.7 million light-rail extension of Newark's city subway will enable passengers on NJ Transit's Montclair-Boonton and Morris & Essex rail lines to reach Newark Penn Station in 10 minutes or less without walking or taking a bus.

Combined with the renovation of the Broad Street Station and the widening of Route 21, the new line is expected to improve commuting to downtown Newark and its businesses and educational, recreational and cultural facilities.

Stessel said the line expects to attract 2,000 daily riders by the summer of 2007, with 3,550 riders a day by 2010. The existing subway line, which stretches through Newark from Penn Station to Branch Brook Park and two stations at Franklin Street in Belleville and Grove Street in Bloomfield, carries 18,450 passengers a day.

The new line has stations at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center and Bears & Eagles Stadium. There also is a station along Broad Street at Washington Park, close to the Newark Public Library and the Newark Museum, and another at Atlantic Street in the center of a growing business district.

Lawrence Goldman, president and chief executive of NJPAC, said the new line is expected to have a positive impact on the arts center.

"We're an urban arts center ... and this enhances our urbanity -- to have a mass transit stop right outside," he said. "It will make it easy to get here from all parts of New Jersey and New York."

Though the arts center is only a four-block walk from Penn Station, Goldman said the light-rail line will be especially valuable in inclement weather.

Those cold January nights, it would be nice not to have to walk outside and to arrive right at the arts center's doorstep," he said.

Goldman said he believes the new light-rail station also will facilitate NJPAC's plan to find a private development partner to build 250 apartments, 30,000 square feet of retail space and a 700-car parking garage on property directly across Center Street from the arts center.

"I believe the light rail will make the arts center's site very desirable for developers and residents who want an urban lifestyle," he said.

He cited the example of growth near subway stations in the outer boroughs of New York City.

"Everywhere there's a subway station, development happens around it," he said.

Jim Cerny, assistant general manager of the Newark Bears Atlantic League baseball team, also said the light rail would make it easier for patrons to attend games.

"We're excited to have the light rail right in front of the stadium," he said, noting the new station is right outside Gate C. "It could not be any better for us. We're very, very excited."

Five new light-rail cars were added to the existing subway fleet of 16 cars for the new line. Daily service on the extension will be offered from 6:04 a.m. to 12:13 a.m. weekdays and from 6:21 a.m. to 12:56 a.m. on weekends. On weekdays, trains will run every 10 minutes during peak periods and every 15 minutes during off-peak. Service will be every 30 minutes on weekends, timed to coincide with trains arriving at Broad Street from points west.

Stessel said the light-rail schedule also could be adjusted to ac commodate patrons of special events at NJPAC, the stadium or other facilities.

"If there's a need for additional service because of a particular event, we're fully prepared to adjust service accordingly," he said.

Initially, commuters who wish to ride both the new line and the existing city subway will have to change trains at Penn Station, though the system is designed to allow a train to continue through both lines.

"That's something we'll look at depending on what the usage pat terns are," he said.

The fare on the new line will be $1.25, the same as the existing subway, with $45 monthly passes allowing unlimited travel. NJ Transit customers with rail or bus passes worth more than $45 will be able to use the new line at no additional cost.

Cars along the extension will travel from Penn Station through a tunnel under Mulberry Street be fore reaching street level at McCarter Highway and Center Street.

The new line crosses Broad Street at two locations -- near the stadium on the way to the Broad Street Station and at Lombardy Street on the way back to Penn Station. There also are grade-level crossings on several smaller streets.

Stessel said NJ Transit engineers, over the course of several years of planning, used extensive computer simulations in working with city engineers to coordinate traffic signalization at the intersec tions of light-rail tracks and city streets.

The light-rail trains are driven by a motorman and powered by overhead catenary lines that Stes sel said have "a low profile."

"They have a very low visible impact on the city," he said.

NJ Transit also operates the Hudson-Bergen light-rail line from Bayonne to North Bergen in Hud son County and the 34-mile River Line between Camden and Tren ton in southern New Jersey.

There also are long-range plans for another light-rail line from Penn Station to Newark Liberty International Airport.
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey

Forum Veteran

was just out in Newark a feee weeks ago for a meeting the place is sure better then it was 10 years ago . Its a shame as this city, Not Jersey City should have been the place to get all those office moves from LM, but crime, corruption and other things killed it. I give Prudential alot of Credit, they never packed up

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    was just out in Newark a feee weeks ago for a meeting the place is sure better then it was 10 years ago . Its a shame as this city, Not Jersey City should have been the place to get all those office moves from LM, but crime, corruption and other things killed it. I give Prudential alot of Credit, they never packed up
    right, prudential has always been loyal to newark

Here's a view of the Newark Broad Street Light Rail Station, Broad Street Station which serve's NJ Transit's Mid-town Direct Montclair/Boonton, Morris/Essex, and Gladstone lines is on the right.

Broad Street Light Rail platform.

Washington Park Station

Grade down to tunnel to Penn Station

^^^ great pics!

Default 1180

I took an apartment in 1180 that I'll be moving into in August. Should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin
    How did that go? My wife and I were among the first three leases to go out for 1180. We're so excited to move in. Seeing the models is like torture, because we have to wait until July. We currently live in those monstrosities, The Pavillion. What a dump compared to our future digs.
    I'm pissed that I waited a little longer than I should have to accept a lease. My rent is about $20-$30 more per month than it would have been. I live in the Pavilion right now too... it's not THAT bad, but this is certainly an upgrade.

How does 1180 look. I work in downtown Newark and the convenience appeals to me. So do the features and ammenities. But 1400 for a studio in newark where there is nothing to do after the work day? I dunno, i think theyre too high. Does anyone have any rough idea how many agreements they have out?

I may just have to take a look at a model this weekend.