Page 5 of 667 FirstFirst 1234567891555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Newark Development

They are pretty high, but for me it's very convenient. The appartment is beautiful and the amenities are great... and there is stuff to do in the building.

There are also bars in Newark -- Hamilton's is a decent one, and then the bars in the Portugese restaurants.

Hoboken is about as expensive to live... but my guess is you wouldn't go there everyday, and it's only a 20 min ride. <shrug> It all depends.

Inside the train station:

Wow!

Where the hell is that taken from? The PATH ramp?

Yeah, how'd you get up there!?

When you get off the PATH, instead of going down the escalator you take the ramp to Tracks 3 and 4. This is from the top of that ramp, or maybe it's stairs, I forget. Yeah, there's a lot of "wow" in that station.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Smile

Odd combination of Nouveau and Deco in that building.

Talking

Thats wasup, Newark's Penn Station is an absolute gem. I'm so pleased at the way they have taken care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money
    How does 1180 look. I work in downtown Newark and the convenience appeals to me. So do the features and ammenities. But 1400 for a studio in newark where there is nothing to do after the work day? I dunno, i think theyre too high. Does anyone have any rough idea how many agreements they have out?

I may just have to take a look at a model this weekend.
    Expensive yes. But unlike other luxury apts in the area, this one offers alot: a bowling alley, fitness center, valet parking, lounge(for X-Box and Playstation), etc. And have you forgotten the NJPAC and Ironbound clubs and resturants? Don't forget about the new arena opening down the street(ONLY if Booker doesn't screw it up).

Default Hello Everybody

I just came across and joined this site and I'm very impressed! I live right outside of Newark and am a Planning and Public Policy major at Rutgers-New Brunswick, so thus this whole thread is very interesting to me.
    I noticed there was some mention of the Newark Light Rail here... well, the date has been set: (although I won't be around for opening day, it will be on my priority list for when I get back from Italy!)

NEWARK LIGHT RAIL SET TO OPEN JULY 17

Connects Newark’s two train stations through downtown district

June 22, 2006
    NJT-06-084
    NEWARK, NJ — Newark Light Rail, an extension of the City’s subway system, will begin service on Monday, July 17, NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George D. Warrington announced this week at the corporation’s Board of Directors meeting.
    The one-mile, light-rail extension will connect two of NJ TRANSIT’s busiest train stations — Newark Penn Station and Newark Broad Street Station — and support Newark’s economic rebirth along the waterfront and Broad Street. The project includes five new stations that will serve the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium, The Newark Museum and the Broad Street commercial district.

“This new connector is part of the revitalization and redevelopment efforts here in Newark, and we are pleased to be a partner with the City in serving as an engine and a catalyst for economic development,” Warrington said.
    At Newark Penn Station, Newark Light Rail will connect with the Newark City Subway, which provides 17,900 trips on a typical weekday at 12 stations between Newark Penn Station and Grove Street Station in Bloomfield. For more information about destinations served by NJ TRANSIT, customers may visit www.njtransit.com or call 1-800-772-2222.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    Inside the train station:

A trip to infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    A trip to infinity.
    You get a slightly different version of that in the Parker Meridien's mirrored through-block arcade. It comes complete with a slight curve, due to the minute misalignment of the mirrors.

So whats up has anyone moved into 1180 yet? Any news? Im waiting for rents to drop, month to month on my current lease.

More Ironbound pics, PLEASE!!!

The Dude Abides

NEWARK AND IMPROVED

By ADAM BONISLAWSKI

July 13, 2006 -- "It all depends on what kind of person you are, an optimist or a pessimist," says new Newark mayor Cory Booker of the prospects for his notoriously troubled city's future.

Booker, by all accounts, falls into the former camp.

A football All-American at Stanford and a Rhodes Scholar, he had any number of high-powered options to choose from after graduating Yale Law School in 1997. Instead, Booker, who grew up in Harrington Park, N.J., headed for Newark, moving to the drug-infested Brick Towers housing project in the city's Central Ward.

In 1998 he ran for city council, unseating a four-term incumbent, and in 2002 he ran for mayor, losing a hotly contested race to long-time incumbent Sharpe James. This spring Booker ran once again, and won - giving Newark its first new mayor in 24 years.

Booker takes the reigns just as the long-moribund city has started to show some signs of life. Development is picking up across the area. Crime has fallen steadily, if unspectacularly (declining roughly 20 percent from 2000 to 2004, according to FBI Uniform Crime Reports). People are beginning to look past Newark's reputation and seeing opportunity instead of urban blight.

Booker has big plans to build on this momentum.

"What we're going to do in Newark, and we're going to do it very aggressively, is put hundreds of more cops on the streets," he says. "We're going to be moving dramatically against crime to create a safer environment that's going to rapidly increase property values."

Booker believes many of the other pieces of a real-estate boom are already in place.

"The reality is that we have so much competitive advantage in this region," he says. "We have one of the busiest ports in the region, one of the busiest airports in the region, all the major highways that intersect here, the rail lines that intersect here."

Downtown, several blocks west of Newark Penn Station, work is wrapping up on one of the more visible signs of the city's resurgence, Cogswell Realty Group's Eleven80 rental building. Formerly an office building, Eleven80 has retained its Art Deco facade, but most everything else has changed. Inside, the building, which offers 317 studio, one- and two-bedroom units, features the sort of amenities more typical of a swank Manhattan high-rise than your traditional Newark digs.

Units come with granite countertops, marble baths and porcelain tile floors. The building itself features a four-lane bowling alley, an 8,000-square-foot health club, a game room, maid service, a concierge, manicure and pedicure service and an on-call masseuse.

While rents at the building are low by New York City standards, $1,350-a-month studios, $1,900-a-month one-bedrooms and $2,600-a-month two-bedrooms represent a raising of the bar for Newark real estate.

And Cogswell is far from done. Over the last four years, the company has acquired plots of land along the western border of downtown's Military Park, where they plan to build some 3,500 rental and condo units in the next decade. Looks like Booker isn't alone in his optimism.

"You have 45,000 students and administrators from the colleges here that are completely under-served," Cogswell CEO Arthur Stern says. "You have 100,000 people who commute to work in Newark every day. For over 40 years people hadn't had it in their vocabulary that Newark was a possibility. Once that happens, the floodgates will open."

Speech-language pathologist Lauren Bradway recently signed a lease on a studio at Eleven80.

"When I tell my friends in Florida and the Midwest that I'm moving to Newark, they're horrified," says Bradway, who's moving from Piscataway, N.J. "But people have no idea what this city is going to become."

"I think if the city can get over its stigma, people will move there," agrees law student Kevin Ledig, who, with his wife Pamela Juarez - a dental student at the Newark-based University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey - were the first residents to move into Eleven80.

Ledig is excited about having Booker in office.

"My wife and I both voted for him," he says. "Everyone thinks of Newark and thinks of corruption because everyone has been in office for so long. When [Booker] ran in 2002, he brought the whole idea that it shouldn't be just an old-boys' network."

Among the changes Booker hopes to bring about is an end to the city's practice of selling publicly owned land for well below market value - sometimes at prices as low as $1 per square foot. He recently sued the city to stop such sales and won a temporary ban.

"If anybody told you that you were going to get a 30, 40 percent return on your money on a project, you would rush to do them here in the city of Newark," Booker says. "But the problem is, we've been giving people 150, 200 percent returns by literally giving away land.

"It was desperation. It was the old way of doing things. What worked in 1980 shouldn't be the plan in 2006."

Ken Baris, president of Jordan Baris Realtors, has a somewhat different perspective on the practice.

"Six or seven years ago, developers were looking at land that they could get from the city for $1 to $2 per square foot and developer after developer balked at it," he says. "Nobody wanted it."

But now, as Baris points out, "the market has changed."

"A city is a business. And businesses on an annual basis do an assessment and analysis of what they have," he says. "It's imperative for the city to take stock and do that, which I think is one of the first things that's happening. And I think that's right on the money."

Recent additions like the GLC Group's 44-unit Parc West condo building and Summit Real Estate Developers' Southwyck Estates - a new collection of multi-family homes - suggest that Newark isn't the no-go zone it once was for developers.

Also slated for the city are the Mulberry Street Urban Renewal Company's 2,200-unit Mulberry Street Promenade condo/retail development (with the first phase to start construction later this year) and a 500-unit, $400 million mixed-use riverfront project from the Matrix Development Group.

And as this building boomlet continues, you can expect to hear a lot from Cory Booker.

"We're going to create a group that's doing nothing but marketing the city, bringing in people, facilitating the process of engaging the city, putting together the right incentive packages with the state, with banks," he says. "We're going to create a rational system wherein any developer who has a real vision and a real plan can engage.

"Newark is an emerging market - an undiscovered country."

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.