Page 501 of 666 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 9986

Thread: Newark Development

Last Updated: January 22, 2014 10:15am ET
    Newark, Jersey City Expensive for Renters

ByJohn Jordan | New Jersey
    </body>

JERSEY CITY, NJ-Newark and Jersey City ranked among the top 20 in a list of the least affordable cities for apartment renters.

The survey ranked Jersey City fourth and Newark 15th among the most expensive locations for rental apartments. The survey was released by Apartment List, a national search engine for apartment listings, according to the Star-Ledger. New York, San Francisco and Boston topped the list.

In Jersey City, approximately 49% of income is required for rent where the median household income is $57,520. In Newark, where the median household income is $35,696, about 35% of that income is required for the average apartment rent.

The average listing price for a one-bedroom apartment in Jersey City rose more than 4% to $2,352, last year while the average two-bedroom unit price rose 1.2% to $2,913.
    In Newark, one-bedroom listings jumped approximately 5% to $1,040, while two-bedroom rents rose 4.1% to $1,371.

See story in the Star-Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    I gotta tell you, the Marriott rendering from your link pictured below looks WAAAAAAAAY better than the Tucker Development rendering/design and implementation. Not that I don't like what we ended up getting but the rendering below looks like it would've been much jazzier. The extensive use of glass on the facade looks more modern.

http://comitoassociates.com/Projects.htm

Looks like it would have gone where Devils Championship plaza /steel hockey player now "sits"

Quote Originally Posted by newarkdevil1 View Post
    The Murphy project is a hot mess with multiple owners that are really just banking it. It will take a RBH type developer that can bring in historic URG type tax credits to ever get it to move. The building has beautiful bones but I fear by the time someone gets to it it will be bulldozed.
    A few years back,SCC proposed converting the building into a school. But greedy local officials interested in a federal $$ free for all, union bosses only wanting more $$ from new construction ,the NJEA, mocked the idea,claiming their shoes "melted" on contact with thefloors. The morons couldn't put 2 and 2 together. Geniuses they were.... never thought of the fact they were stepping on decades old wax spills.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's not just union people that make more money from tearing down and rebuilding. Everyone involved makes more $ that way.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    It's not just union people that make more money from tearing down and rebuilding. Everyone involved makes more $ that way.
    Ya, its very difficult to keep historic buildings without a public subsidy even the Indigo project had historic tax credits and there is a tax credit piece to the work on the Haynes building as well.

Thumbs up

Just thought I'd throw in an update that columns for floors 11 & 12 (and alot of them) went up today at the Prudential tower. The tower should be visible in the skyline soon.

Cool Newark Today

Flickr is being a pain in the @$$ with deactivated Ymail accounts so I used my personal blog to host the pictures. There are 16 other posts on urban planning topics if you are interested. Since the pictures show up better with this method, I will probably stick to it.
    All of the following images and more are hosted on http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....28th-2014.html

Prudential

Hahne's Building sidewalk shed is up. This is getting serious!

Broad/Raymond new facade

How long have these windows been missing from the National Newark Building?

24 Commerce is being renovated. That retail or bank space might be leased...

Rockplaza lofts

The first signs of the Four Corners project!

The Ironbound

Yes, that is an outdoor ATM machine, in Newark!

FSO Optical is now open after a lengthy renovation from a former facade of solid walls and bars over the windows. This is much better.

This beauty is still not leased. I wonder what the holdup is.

A new business, Got Shoes?

The new building by the corner of Ferry and Polk Streets is now occupied by a True Value hardware store. the one next to it is still a foundation and the other two sites have been combined into a large building that is now rising.

I predict huge storefront windows.

Enjoy!

Sad but true: http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/..._river_default

The only time I get anybody from a game, a concert, the circus, anything, is by accident," he said, as city sanitation trucks loaded up outside his door. "I think the reputation of Newark scares them away

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post
    Sad but true: http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/..._river_default

The only time I get anybody from a game, a concert, the circus, anything, is by accident," he said, as city sanitation trucks loaded up outside his door. "I think the reputation of Newark scares them away
    If it makes you feel any better I don't think Jersey city is doing all that great from what I hear. The Cold is partly to blame , a smaller then an expected crowd showed up at LSP. But the rest seems to NFL and its NY Marketing campaign over NJ , along with the new casters who then say NY over NJ which tends to lead outside people to think this is a NY event instead of NJ. People in this region no better then that , but someone from Denver or Washington doesn't. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Rutherford and Secaucus are having similar problems... All you hear about are the NY events , its rare for you to hear the NJ events.... I don't think it has to do with Newark's rep , its a larger NJ snub by the NFL.

Default Extend Newark's light rail into Ironbound??

Has anyone ever proposed to extend the Light Rail/Subway into Ironbound from Penn Station? Even just a couple of stations? I expect it would costs zillions but it would offer a connection between Ironbound and the rest of the city....seems to me it would be a popular idea?

Those restaurants aren't appealing to the type of people going to Devils games, concerts, or other events at the arena. You can get quick, fast, fried food in the arena. People who are looking to dine out before or after an event are looking for a sit down restaurant or something unique or with a famous reputation (like Hobby's). Dino BBQ, Edison Ale House, and Joe's Crab Shack do quite well on event days (as well as on off nights as well).

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    Has anyone ever proposed to extend the Light Rail/Subway into Ironbound from Penn Station? Even just a couple of stations? I expect it would costs zillions but it would offer a connection between Ironbound and the rest of the city....seems to me it would be a popular idea?
    I have never seen a proposal and its a shame considerign their was both a CNJ rail line that ran elevated through there as well as a light rail/trolly that ran down Ferry van buren and by fleming. A light rail would make perfect sense but won't happen unless Mr. Booker starts to get federal funds thrown this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I don't think Jersey city is doing all that great from what I hear. The Cold is partly to blame , a smaller then an expected crowd showed up at LSP. But the rest seems to NFL and its NY Marketing campaign over NJ , along with the new casters who then say NY over NJ which tends to lead outside people to think this is a NY event instead of NJ. People in this region no better then that , but someone from Denver or Washington doesn't. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Rutherford and Secaucus are having similar problems... All you hear about are the NY events , its rare for you to hear the NJ events.... I don't think it has to do with Newark's rep , its a larger NJ snub by the NFL.
    Nexis I hate to break it to you but Jersey City is doing really well. The restaurants are doing great actually; I have been to Park and Sixth, Orale, this week and Fire and Oak last night at the Westin, the Seahawks Hotel, for dinner and the restaurants and bars are actually busier than usual for weeknights.

I attended the Kick Off Spectacular Concert at LSP and yes the crowd was half of what they expected due to the cold but it was an excellent concert!! I was VIP and the VIP section was in Mari Time Parc where we got delicious food and drink and free Super Bowl Swag!! Also got to meet the Giants owners; Maras and Tischs who were in attendance at Mari Time Parc!!

Newark had just a glorified one day press conference at the Pru for 4 hours while Jersey City gets the whole week!! The NFL partnered with Jersey City and gave banners that welcome fans and the teams to Jersey City all along Christopher Columbus Drive and Washington Boulevard the roads that lead to the teams to two hotels; Hyatt for the Broncos and Westin for Seahawks which are all decorated in team and NFL imagery. The Seahawks are holding all their press conferences in a ballroom at the Westin and the Broncos are holding their press conferences on a party boat docked next to the Hyatt.

The banners have "Super Bowl Drive" on the smaller ones attached to lampposts with the Broncos, Seahawks, and Super Bowl logos and they read "Welcome to Jersey City, NJ". There are also two HUGE banners; one along the PATH embankment along now "Super Bowl Drive" with large letters that reads" Welcome Fans To Jersey City, NJ" and another over "Super Bowl Drive" above the intersection of Grove Street that reads "Welcome to Jersey City Host To The Super Bowl Teams". These were all made by the NFL FOR Jersey City.

Yes New York is being pushed but Jersey City has been mentioned numerous times on ESPN by the coaches of the Broncos and Seahawks saying that the people of Jersey City have been so friendly to them. Also while I was leaving Fire and Oak, which the Seahawks dined in Sunday night, there were tons of Seahawks fans at the lobby bar from Seattle and Washington State and my friends and I spoke with them briefly and they told us how they loved Jersey City and had actually gone to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Exhibit at the Liberty Science Center, Barcade, Word Bookstore, and Two Boots aside from going to Manhattan. They told us that the chamber of commerce of JC and Hudson County had tons of literature in the hotels showing all the great places to eat and checkout in JC and promoting Super Restaurant Week. Needless to say I was so happy to hear this!!

So while yes NY is the main attraction, Jersey City is getting its due and is being promoted and taken in by the tourists and fans alike. The NFL worked with JC to market it and aside from Fashion Week and Restaurant Week, the banners and events at the Westin and Hyatt were all sanctioned by the NFL. The events in E. Rutherford and Secaucus are city events not NFL. Jersey City is the center of Super Bowl week in New Jersey outside of MetLife Stadium.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; January 29th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Interesting interview with Damon Rich (Newark's planning director) about Riverfront Park.

http://urbanomnibus.net/2014/01/walk...verfront-park/

It's official! The Newark thread has surpassed the Jersey City thread for the number of views! Currently at 1,464,302 vs 1,464,023 for JC! Keep up the great work. This thread has shown people that their is more to Newark than the obsessively reported crimes 1,464,302 times, for the most part. No matter how much you improve a city, the people who never step foot into it yet constantly bash it will never know the great things that are happening unless they are presented to them in Black and White, or full color, images. May there be many more posts of relevant info and many more millions of visitors.