Page 51 of 666 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: Newark Development

Quote Originally Posted by tommyguy View Post
    In other words, it's a done deal in NYC, still a work in progress in Newark.

My question is this. It's obvious from the way the critics exaggerate the frequency of crime reports in this thread that what they're really saying is they don't want to see (not just read) anything about crime posted in this thread.

But why would that be? Why would anyone expect to find no mention of crime in a thread about Newark New Jersey? Are they investors who are relentlessly trying to put the most positive spin possible on Newark? Conservatives determined to deny and ignore Newark's gritty reality?

I wonder if the people who react so negatively even know themselves where their anger is coming from?

Don't know where the statement in italics comes from, or the perception that there is anger about speaking of Newark crime

but the Newark crime subject is so flooded which is why some such as myself felt the need for another thread on the subject. One could literally talk about such a thing all day if desired

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Does not show a map of the boundaries of this area.
    Basically its between W. Kinney Street and Pennington St north and south, King Blvd and Broad St. west and east.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thank you Marv!

Camden ranks No. 2 in national crime-ridden-cities list

by The Associated Press Monday November 24, 2008, 10:54 AM

Camden ranked second in the nation behind New Orleans in an annual rankings of most crime-ridden cities from CQ Press.
    Camden topped the list for two years before slipping to fifth two years ago and then fourth last year.
    Trenton and Newark were also among the 30 most dangerous cities out of the 385 ranked.
    But the news wasn't all bad for New Jersey. Five of its largest suburbs -- Brick, Toms River, Edison, Hamilton and Woodbridge -- were among the safest cities.
    The ratings are based on numbers from 2007.
    There may be one way for Camden to get off the list. If its population dips below 75,000, it won't be included.

^ This doesn't have much to do with Newark.

He's pointing that Newark was in the top 30; so was Memphis, Oakland, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, Birmingham, AL, Miami, etc..

Default New places on Halsey

I know I posted about "Nicks In Newark" opening up but I figured I would mention that two new cafe's opened up on Halsey as well, the "coffee cave" and one that is run by the people of Hells Kitchen.

Oh and Nick's is having his grand opening tonight..something about bacardi and Belvedere girls draws me....

Boy dies after car was struck by stolen vehicle in Newark

by Jeffery C. Mays/The Star-Ledger Wednesday November 26, 2008, 1:50 PM

A 10 year-old boy died this morning after being ejected from the car he was riding in when it was struck by a stolen vehicle, said Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.
    Both the boy and his mother were thrown from their vehicle late Tuesday when an Acura -- one of two stolen vehicles being pursued by authorities --- struck them at the intersection of Orange Street and Myrtle Avenue in Newark, authorities said.
    The boy and his mother were taken to University Hospital in critical condition. The boy, who was on life support, was pronounced dead today at about 10:30 a.m. The boy's mother is still listed in critical condition. Authorities have not yet released their names.
    According to preliminary accounts, East Orange police first observed the Acura and a stolen BMW driving recklessly in the area of Hollywood Avenue and North Ninth Street Tuesday night. East Orange police chased the cars to the Newark border on Orange Street, but broke off their pursuit at the border, according to Newark police spokesman Detective Todd McClendon.
    The fatal crash took place a few blocks away at 11 p.m.
    Two of the Acura's three occupants ran away, and one was apprehended by police after a brief chase, McClendon said. The remaining suspect was trapped in the vehicle and taken into custody. Both suspects also were taken to hospitals, one to University Hospital and the other to East Orange General Hospital.
    The BMW fled the accident scene and remained at large early this morning, the detective said.
    Loriquet said the two suspects have been charged with receiving stolen property. Police are trying to determine who was driving the vehicle and possible additional charges while also searching for the third suspect. Authorities have not released the suspects' identities.

Neighbors mourn two victims of auto crash

Newark Police Deny Chasing Crash Car

Thursday, November 27, 2008 BY JEFFERY C. MAYS
    Star-Ledger Staff

A 10-year-old boy died yesterday from injuries he suffered in a car crash in Newark caused by a stolen vehicle that had been involved in a police chase 15 minutes earlier in neighboring East Orange, said Essex County Prosecutor Paula Dow.

Anevdy Breton and his mother, Joselin Breton, 34, of Newark, were thrown from their 2001 Toyota Corolla late Tuesday when an Acura -- one of two stolen vehicles pursued by authorities several minutes earlier -- struck their car at Orange Street and Myrtle Avenue in Newark, authorities said. Anevdy and his mother were taken to University Hospital in critical condition following the 11 p.m. crash. The boy, who was on life support, was pronounced dead about 10:30 a.m. yesterday. Joselin Breton is still listed in critical condition.

Yesterday, at the Roseville Avenue apartment where Anevdy and Joselin Breton often visited with her mother, friends and neighbors shed tears of disbelief.

Nyjah Murray said Anevdy was close friends with her 9-year-old son, William Camacho. The pair had been in her apartment Tuesday afternoon playing bowling on a Nintendo Wii. William tried to talk about his friend, but his voice cracked and tears began flowing down his face. "They were like each other's family. I called them my 226 kids," Murray said, referring to the address on Roseville Avenue where Joselin Breton's mother lived. "I hope she pulls through. I couldn't even imagine. That was her only child."

East Orange police [had] chased the cars to the Newark border on Orange Street. "Two vehicles were observed speeding through the city and we picked up on them and followed them to our border, where we terminated the pursuit," said East Orange Police Chief Ronald Borgo.

At about 11 p.m., the Acura [stolen last Thursday in Clifton] collided with the car carrying Breton and her son at the intersection of Myrtle Street. Newark police spokesman Detective Todd McClendon said Newark police had not chased the vehicle at any point.

Two of the Acura's three occupants [Eugene Reaves, 24, and Chad Pamplin, 19, both of East Orange] were apprehended by Newark police. The occupants of the second vehicle -- a BMW stole in Edison Tuesday evening -- escaped. The car was found Wednesday abandoned in south Newark.

newark star-ledger@2008

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...l=1&thispage=1

These types of incidents are very tragic and always seem so much worse when occurring just before a major holiday. Someone might say 'Oh this could happen anywhere," which is of course very true, but doesn't lessen the impact on the victim or her family.

Kids who steal cars or drive recklessly are implored to consider the danger they're exposing the community too. But with the arrogance (stupidity?) of youth they usually fail to heed the words.

Also, I was ready to question the wisdom of Newark police in chasing the cars in the first place. Unnecessary police pursuits being quite an issue these days. But I discovered, according to the follow up article, Newark PD denies chasing the cars at all.
    Last edited by tommyguy; November 27th, 2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: clarity

Default 2 Center street Moving along...

Someone over on the njdevs forum posted this in regards to the development by the NJPAC...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...long_haul.html

Basically Dranoff saying that the project is on target for 2010 and that he wants to develop the other 3 sites as well for a hotel and condo complex. Worth noting is that Shaq's condo project is literally around the street from that. I can't help but wonder if these guys are able to move forward with their projects why Cogswell has not been able to get the Haynes Griffith project off the ground. I know the "old timers" hate it but based on what's moving forward and what's planned, the city's center really has moved from the Broad Market corrider to Mullberry st.

Default Slanted Posts...

Also, since this has become a decent debate on this board, I have to wonder what Block wants to contribute other than his anger with the city.

Here are a list of the past posts starting with the most recent:

1. Boy dies after car was struck by stolen vehicle in Newark
    3.no header
    The kids ain't safe either:Catching the bus may be a lifesaver for Newark students
    The crime is moving downtown:One person is killed, two others hurt at Newark club
    6.Woman is abducted and forced to withdraw cash in Newark
    If there is any doubt left is star bucks on broad is closing...
    8.No header but you bitching about people not liking your negative spam..
    9.Newark Beth Israel Medical Center to lay off 100 employees
    Devils to Newark: You owe us $800,000
    Newark Bears file for bankruptcy
    12.no header-you bitching about a broken car window
    13. no header- Your diatribe on how you think the city is a scumhole (I give you credit at least you gave an opinion here and didn't cut and paste)
    14. you bitching there is no development and we are knock down buildings to build walkways.
    Newark asks lawmakers to exempt Prudential Center from $6M in property tax
    16. no header-You bitching about the Klein building not being rennovated and how JC has done it all right
    17.no header-Your diatribe on how unsafe NJIT and the neighborhood is and now expensive it is to live in 1180 (THE MOST EXPENSIVE RENTAL COMPLEX IN THE ENTIRE CITY!)
    18. You bitching about how much better Harrison's redevelopment plan is vs Newark.
    19. No header-You complaining about how dead is is around 1180 with no where to eat.
    20.no header-you telling us what fast food places have closed in the gateway
    21.no header-starbucks leaving
    22.no header-deli closing
    23. no header-you asking about a building that was being bulldozed
    24. no header- you claiming everything is dead after hockey games

THIS IS TWO MONTHS OF YOUR POSTINGS- NOTICE A THEME HERE!!
    Everyone else including Tommygun post both sides of the issues and their opionions. You just manage to be a bitter angry resident of 1180. If you really gave a sh!t you would know the mayors office and the S.I.D. you live in have an open door policy on opinions and suggestions.

I have no patience for the idiots on NJ.com or here that post only negative comments and only choose to see the negatives around them. Seriously block, do you think that I could not find the same junk in the paper about other cities and towns? There is crime in Newark and the state of NJ if you have an opinion on that, the city would love to hear it. If you come to just post your unrelenting hate for your circumstances in life, go sit in your apartment and keep it to yourself.

Well I hope I don't sound too crabby but the article you linked to sounded like wishful thinking. My impression of the Haynes Griffith project is that the Feds lost interest in financing it after delays, and they started looking into the past of the developers etc.

I don't want to get into any negativity, I really don't, so I will say that while, yes, Block paints a pretty bleak picture of New Jersey's biggest city, he is a resident (and a downtown one at that) so I do feel his comments and postings have a certain validity. I'm interested in reading them.

At the same time, I'd look forward to learning more about, say Nick's in Newark. nd1 were you going to post photos you took? I Googled and did a Star-Ledger word search on Nick's and found nada.

Quote Originally Posted by newarkdevil1 View Post
    Also, since this has become a decent debate on this board, I have to wonder what Block wants to contribute other than his anger with the city.

Here are a list of the past posts starting with the most recent:

1. Boy dies after car was struck by stolen vehicle in Newark
    3.no header
    The kids ain't safe either:Catching the bus may be a lifesaver for Newark students
    The crime is moving downtown:One person is killed, two others hurt at Newark club
    6.Woman is abducted and forced to withdraw cash in Newark
    If there is any doubt left is star bucks on broad is closing...
    8.No header but you bitching about people not liking your negative spam..
    9.Newark Beth Israel Medical Center to lay off 100 employees
    Devils to Newark: You owe us $800,000
    Newark Bears file for bankruptcy
    12.no header-you bitching about a broken car window
    13. no header- Your diatribe on how you think the city is a scumhole (I give you credit at least you gave an opinion here and didn't cut and paste)
    14. you bitching there is no development and we are knock down buildings to build walkways.
    Newark asks lawmakers to exempt Prudential Center from $6M in property tax
    16. no header-You bitching about the Klein building not being rennovated and how JC has done it all right
    17.no header-Your diatribe on how unsafe NJIT and the neighborhood is and now expensive it is to live in 1180 (THE MOST EXPENSIVE RENTAL COMPLEX IN THE ENTIRE CITY!)
    18. You bitching about how much better Harrison's redevelopment plan is vs Newark.
    19. No header-You complaining about how dead is is around 1180 with no where to eat.
    20.no header-you telling us what fast food places have closed in the gateway
    21.no header-starbucks leaving
    22.no header-deli closing
    23. no header-you asking about a building that was being bulldozed
    24. no header- you claiming everything is dead after hockey games

THIS IS TWO MONTHS OF YOUR POSTINGS- NOTICE A THEME HERE!!
    Everyone else including Tommygun post both sides of the issues and their opionions. You just manage to be a bitter angry resident of 1180. If you really gave a sh!t you would know the mayors office and the S.I.D. you live in have an open door policy on opinions and suggestions.

I have no patience for the idiots on NJ.com or here that post only negative comments and only choose to see the negatives around them. Seriously block, do you think that I could not find the same junk in the paper about other cities and towns? There is crime in Newark and the state of NJ if you have an opinion on that, the city would love to hear it. If you come to just post your unrelenting hate for your circumstances in life, go sit in your apartment and keep it to yourself.
    Thanks, Newark Devil. I feel your pain. I try not to come and check this thread anymore because it has become something like a trash can. But I cannot resist coming to check from time to time to see if the things have improved by hoping that it will become a useful thread again at some point. Thanks again for pointing this out. By the way, I like it when Stache split into two threads. At least people can choose which one to read (or both of them if they like). I don't know why they got merged. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I guess.
    Last edited by z22; November 29th, 2008 at 01:15 AM.