Page 556 of 660 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557558559560566606656 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 9891

Thread: Newark Development

Default Updates from Monday

The temperature was about 35 degrees but it was still somehow comfortable.
    All of the following images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

This lot will soon be replaced by a 500 sport parking garage. Construction will start in the summer.

Biotrials NA

The nearby charter school expansion is topped out.

Work outside of a Rutgers dorm is complete, removing a small hill and an unnecessary fence.

Halsey Street

Prudential

A new sidewalk has been poured here, so removal of the fence might be imminent. Interior work in both buildings is well underway and is almost complete.

Hahne's Building

Interior work

Pretty Girl is out. GAP is coming soon.

Teacher's Village
    After at least a month of nothing, this building is finally progressing.

Indigo Hotel is now open. Several people in business suits were going in and out in the mid afternoon.

New restaurant on Market Street

To almost no one's surprise, Rita's is history.

Mercato's is open.

The last Rockplaza building looks amazing!

The tree is up, and has been for a week, and the Newark Downtown District was holding an outdoor concert with 2 spectators due to the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post

Indigo Hotel is now open. Several people in business suits were going in and out in the mid afternoon.
    Didn't realize it was that type of hotel.

Default Continuing to the Ironbound

All of the following images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

There is solid parking lot between here and Penn Station. Time to get rid of it.

A few blocks south, a huge new apartment building of questionable design is almost fully clad.

Diagonally across the street, another smaller one is rising, likely also to 5 stories judging by the stair tower. It has an interesting neighbor.

Between them is another vacant site primed for development. It is easy to see how close Downtown is.

The new school is almost topped out.

The row of buildings on the hotel site remain, a garage is full of trash cans filled with possible construction debris. Could they finally be moving ahead with this, nearly 6 months late?

The new Ferry Street buildings are almost finished.

The one across the street is getting its brick cladding.

Does anyone know what will happen with this site? It is HUGE and is bordered by Polk, Clover, and Ferguson Streets. Some very forgettable corrugated steel clad warehouses were removed after 2012.

Cablevision seems to be doing a lot of work to get absolutely nothing done.

This restoration is fully complete.

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Didn't realize it was that type of hotel.
    Haha! It is somewhat unusual for people to be entering and exiting a hotel on a Monday at around 2:30 PM unless they stayed the previous night. It would have to mean that it is popular with business travelers, and its location is causing them to walk in Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    The Feds want to move the FBI office out of Downtown and to the Airport. The Building will be demolished and that area will be rezoned for Residential....according to My City Hall Sources....and Big things are coming next year...
    I highly doubt that they will demolish the FBI building. Instead, I think they would redo the facade, particularly at the first 2 or 3 levels to make it less intentionally repulsive to pedestrians. What are the other "big things?" Anything besides NJPAC tower 1 starting in a couple months (February?), or a possible restart to the sleeping Shaq Tower? Or a first SoMA tower? Or the Four Corners project?

In other news, the Brick City Development Corporation is gone and has been replaced by a newly christened Newark Community Development Corporation to sound less "outsider."

Hahne's just received $40 Million in Tax Breaks. A Aeroponic Farm in the Ironbound also won $8.7 Million in tax breaks.
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ole_foods.html
    Last edited by towerpower123; December 10th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I can't imagine the FBI building being destroyed. It's not that old.

"Does anyone know what will happen with this site? It is HUGE and is bordered by Polk, Clover, and Ferguson Streets. Some very forgettable corrugated steel clad warehouses were removed after 2012."

It is, or was, supposed to be the new Clover St elementary school for about 800 kids. I don't know what the status is, of if their is funding in place though.

Default Port Authority hires firm to study PATH line extension to Newark Airport

Not dead yet...
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...k_liberty.html

Port Authority hires firm to study PATH line extension to Newark Airport

The Port Authority awarded a contract to an engineering firm Wednesday to study a proposed PATH rail link extension to Newark Liberty Airport (File photo)

By Paul Milo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    on December 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM, updated December 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

JERSEY CITY
    — The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey took a preliminary but significant step Wednesday in a proposal to extend the PATH line to Newark Liberty International Airport, a plan that would provide direct, one-seat service to and from Manhattan.

At their monthly meeting in Jersey City, Port Authority officials awarded a three-year, $6 million contract to HNTB to come up with a more precise cost estimate for the project after examining various technical and compliance issues. The century-old infrastructure engineering firm has offices across the United States, including in Newark, Parsippany and Camden.

The Port Authority currently reckons the project to cost about $1.5 billion and would take an estimated five years to complete. Construction is tentatively slated to begin in 2018, the bistate agency said in September.

“This is exactly the type of project the Port Authority should be doing,” Jamie Fox, the commissioner of the state Department of Transportation, said in a statement. “Transportation is all about getting people where they need to go in the most efficient manner. Providing a mass transit option with direct access between lower Manhattan and Newark Airport enhances the accessibility and convenience for travelers using the airport.”

The award of the contract was also applauded by the Global Gateway Alliance, an airport advocacy group that has pushed for the project.

"We’re pleased by this first step toward make a one-seat ride from the new World Trade Center to Newark airport a reality,” read a statement from the group's founder, real estate investor Joseph Sitt. "This is a vital project in developing 21st Century access to our airports and competing with leading airports around the world, and it should advance quickly.”

The extension would allow riders to travel directly between the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan and the airport via Jersey City, Harrison and Penn Station in Newark. Riders from 33rd St. will also be able to take the PATH to the airport but would have to change trains.

Staff writer Steve Strunsky contributed to this report.
    Paul Milo may be reached at pmilo@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @PaulMilo2. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

According to the report, 40 percent of the loans given out under the BCDC’S First Movers Loan Fund, designed to help new Newark businesses, were written off or delinquent as of Aug, 15, 2014 .

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/12/newark_corporation_owed_millions_in_late_loans.htm l#incart_river

ouch

The Feds want to move the FBI office out of Downtown and to the Airport. ...
    Sorry, I don't see that happening at all. Where on the airport does your City Hall source say it will go??

Default not very suprising

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post
    According to the report, 40 percent of the loans given out under the BCDC’S First Movers Loan Fund, designed to help new Newark businesses, were written off or delinquent as of Aug, 15, 2014 .

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/12/newark_corporation_owed_millions_in_late_loans.htm l#incart_river

ouch
    When you read the article you see Lyneir Richardson response which is what you kind of expect in a transition from one administration to another. The previous entity the Newark Economic Development Agency under James literally lost a parking garage and other city assests with poor management. I expect that you will see the same under the new entity as well. City Hall Officials should never be involved in the lending businesses, it just ends up being another hand out.

Can Newark support a GAP store? I can see an H&M or maybe even an Urban Outfitters, but a GAP? I'm a bit skeptical of its longevity and success, but only time will tell. It's refreshing though to see a brand clothing retailer finally open something in Newark! I wonder who will open next where?
    Last edited by Jspellma; December 11th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Don31 View Post
    Sorry, I don't see that happening at all. Where on the airport does your City Hall source say it will go??
    Hes not sure...but they want out of Downtown and the City wants Residential in that area... They have the money for the move and the demolition , its the feds...not the state...or city...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jspellma View Post
    Can Newark support a GAP store? I can see an H&M or maybe even an Urban Outfitters, but a GAP? I'm a bit skeptical of its longevity and success, but only time will tell. It's refreshing though to see a brand clothing retailer finally open something in Newark! I wonder who will open next where?
    The Gap is opening an outlet store on Market Street... Urban Outfitters is better suited for Jersey City...its more of a preppy store... I would hope that more outlet stores open up in Downtown...

The Gap is opening an outlet store on Market Street... Urban Outfitters is better suited for Jersey City...its more of a preppy store... I would hope that more outlet stores open up in Downtown...
    That makes no sense with jersey gardens a bus ride away. Just like old navy , the gap will close in one year downtown. Downtown couldnt even support a ritas ice cream

This picture was posted on the Newark subreddit. Apparently the beer garden right next to Dinosaur BBQ is finally happening.

http://i.imgur.com/Wjvib6H.jpg