Page 567 of 669 FirstFirst ... 67467517557563564565566567568569570571577617667 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,505 of 10027

Thread: Newark Development

Forum Veteran

I think once Four Corners gets built and is proven successful , the floodgates will open. Although I think the core of high rises and Skyscrapers should be closer to the train stations instead of further out. I think the closer you are to the train station the higher demand is and the more successful you will be.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but I found this article on NJBIZ. Matrix Development is in the process of planning a massive mixed use development along the waterfront by the Newark Legal Center:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2015030...Newark-project

I think once Four Corners gets built and is proven successful , the floodgates will open. Although I think the core of high rises and Skyscrapers should be closer to the train stations instead of further out. I think the closer you are to the train station the higher demand is and the more successful you will be.
    Yeah, I'm wondering how they expect large numbers of people to live/work in skyscrapers south of Market and west of Broad, that's a long way from the train stations. Maybe increased bus or shuttle service? I think they should revive part of the old Springfield Avenue line idea, run it through the new Triangle Park and then under William Street and end at Springfield. Of course, I think I read today that NJTransit is cutting the budget, so it's a moot point regardless...

I love the idea of something mixed-use at the legal center. Thanks to the design of Gateway, the whole waterfront between Broad Street Station and Penn is so dead, despite the close-proximity to transit and the presence of the light-rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    If they build near Penn station with 'here and there' development then it will be a challenge IMO. I'm only saying that because there's a decent block size of dead space between Penn and the Rock Plaza lofts. Rock Plaza was built into an existing grid so it still fit the street front, Penn doesn't have that advantage even though it gets good foot traffic. If they're going to build near Penn then it should be a few developments at a time (if possible), the way Teacher's Village was done. It would make for a more complete outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by montycench View Post
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but I found this article on NJBIZ. Matrix Development is in the process of planning a massive mixed use development along the waterfront by the Newark Legal Center:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2015030...Newark-project
    Good find and it's much needed. That waterfront has been near barren until very very recently. It'd be nice to see the park finally reach Penn station too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Elliott View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering how they expect large numbers of people to live/work in skyscrapers south of Market and west of Broad, that's a long way from the train stations. Maybe increased bus or shuttle service? I think they should revive part of the old Springfield Avenue line idea, run it through the new Triangle Park and then under William Street and end at Springfield. Of course, I think I read today that NJTransit is cutting the budget, so it's a moot point regardless...

I love the idea of something mixed-use at the legal center. Thanks to the design of Gateway, the whole waterfront between Broad Street Station and Penn is so dead, despite the close-proximity to transit and the presence of the light-rail.
    I agree that more mixed-use is needed around Penn/Legal Center area. But I don't think the Gateway complex holds up the waterfront. I believe developers could still easily incorporate future waterfront projects into live and pedestrian accessible zones. Stuff like the FBI building are steps backward IMO.

But that whole strip of wild green running from Bridge St./Mr. Adams restaurant to Penn Plaza could be a real nice stretch of walkable green paths.

Thumbs up Matrix May Break Ground Spring 2016 on New Skyscraper

From what I've seen and know, this seems more feasible/likely than the NJPAC tower (not to mention the Shaq tower).

From NJBiz.com:

Matrix Development advancing its latest Newark project

By Joshua Burd March 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Matrix Development Group is moving ahead with its plans for a mixed-use development on a waterfront site adjacent to the Newark Legal Center and Panasonic's North American headquarters, the firm's top executive said Wednesday.

Joseph S. Taylor, CEO and president of Matrix, said the firm “is going through the planning process now” for a project whose first phase could include 220 residential units, a full-service hotel and underground parking at the 5-acre site. He said the firm expects to have applications into city officials by sometime in the second quarter.

“We’re hoping to be in the ground by this time next year,” Taylor said, starting with the parking component.

The head of the Cranbury-based firm spoke to NJBIZ after the annual real estate forecast event hosted by the Newark Regional Business Partnership.

Earlier, he was among several panelists who were especially bullish on Newark’s renaissance, as a host of residential and commercial development continues in the city.

During a panel discussion, Taylor said roughly 30,000 rail commuters pass the redevelopment each day.

We intend to make a statement on the waterfront,” he told a room of businesspeople and public officials at One Newark Center.

The project, which still being planned, would rise alongside the 340,000-square-foot Panasonic headquarters, which the technology giant moved into in 2013, and the 20-story Legal Center. Matrix developed the Panasonic building with SJP Properties and operates the Legal Center, both of which sit alongside McCarter Highway in Newark.

After the event, he said the first phase will still leave land for additional development, but Matrix will take stock of the market before deciding whether the space is developed as commercial or residential property.

Link:
    http://www.njbiz.com/article/20150304/NJBIZ01/150309902/Matrix-Development-advancing-its-latest-Newark-project

Last edited by West Hudson; March 4th, 2015 at 10:47 PM.

It looks like it will be across City Dock Street and next to the FBI building.

http://www.matrixcompanies.com/

It will be on the site marked "Waterfront Mixed-Use Site with Parking.) ^^^^
    As long as they leave enough room for the Waterfront Park (orange boardwalk in the Ironbound) to advance up the river, I am all for this project. Unfortunately, it will do next to nothing to affect the local businesses as all local travel options are within 1 block, and nowhere near the local retail. It would also not surprise me if they build skybridge to connect the building with Penn Station through the Newark Legal Center, but I absolutely hope they do not.

The light rail is right behind the fake soma tower

Im not holding my breath. The FBI building garantees ZERO residential. It smells of corruption to select the same company borai that deceived everyone with a fake groundbreaking on "shaq tower" just the name "shaq" tower told me its a sham. now Im supposed to believe they will build triangle park? hahahahahaha Berger is another one who perpetrated a sham groundbreaking. remember "liberty Plaza"? This is the typical Bs they come up with when people notice they are landbanking.

I don't think Boraie is landbanking with the Shaq tower. I have a feeling they just misled the media as part of a scheme with Booker and they weren't in a position to start construction on the tower (but were under pressure by Booker to make him look he was able to do what none of his predecessors could - bring a new residential tower to Newark). I think it's been nearly impossible to get financing for the Shaq tower since it's about as far from either NJ Transit train station as you can get in the core of downtown, and it would've been a complete gamble as Newark's first completely ground-up residential tower in a market that hasn't proven it can command the necessary rents.
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 5th, 2015 at 08:34 PM.

Forum Veteran

I'm planning on doing a Cherry Blossom Festival Photography walk in Mid April and I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me. It would be on a Weekend , the meeting place would be Newark Penn Station. I will know a more exact at the end of March or First week of April..

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I don't think Boraie is landbanking with the Shaq tower. I have a feeling they just misled the media as part of a scheme with Booker and they weren't in a position to start construction on the tower (but were under pressure by Booker to make him look he was able to do what none of his predecessors could - bring a new residential tower to Newark). I think it's been nearly impossible to get financing for the Shaq tower since it's about as far from either NJ Transit train station as you can get in the core of downtown, and it would've been a complete gamble as Newark's first completely ground-up residential tower in a market that hasn't proven it can command the necessary rents.
    Clearly a Booker sham to look good for the US senate seat. Remember, It WASN'T a groundbreaking at the site. They rented a dump truck to drop a mound of dirt on Rector street. They all posed with their shovels in THAT dirt. Then the dirt was carted away. Never seen anything like it.........Then again, Never seen Booker since either. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Clearly a Booker sham to look good for the US senate seat. Remember, It WASN'T a groundbreaking at the site. They rented a dump truck to drop a mound of dirt on Rector street. They all posed with their shovels in THAT dirt. Then the dirt was carted away. Never seen anything like it.........Then again, Never seen Booker since either. LOL
    Right, technically they dumped the dirt on the street infront of the building. The Corzine stunt was just as bad in its own way - for the Stem Cell Tower groundbreaking I believe they actually rented an excavator for a few hrs too to have in the background of the photos. Both events were nothing more than deceitful ways of boosting the images of politicians.

At Least Booker ( who I fully supported as mayor in 2006,10,12) Did something for the kids Gibson and James naver cared to do since kids cannot donate to campaigns.......teamed up with the Trust Public Lands to rescucitate all the tiny parks and forgotten playgrounds that actually dotted the entire city.

After hearing for years under JAMES, "Clinton Hill", "Fairmont", Central Ward are "underserved by parks and playgrounds" it turns out they weren't!! The many vacant lots turned out to be Tiny municipal parks and playgrounds bulldozed decades ago for urban renewal. I was especially glad to see the return of Boys Park on sussex Ave. NJT needs to get off that block. The ENTIRE block between Sussex av and Orange Street is the original "Boys Park" It was also the "Southern Division" of Branch Brook Park. That's why large oak trees line the perimeter.

I already see a disturbing trend with SOMA. I've lived in Newark all 41 years and have seen the pattern repeat itself.
    1. A "grand proposal" too good to be true on vacant land.
    2. A new scaled down rendering or a relocation to property occupied by historic structures.
    3. Newark Landmarks steps in .
    4. Project dies.

My point. WHY THE HELL did SOMA tower get removed from the abandoned site of MBNA/Bank of America site? The complex is abandoned! ITS GOT NO ACHITECTURAL VALUE and its less than 20 years old.

The NW corner or Market and Washington streets (where the bus & taxi crashed) was supposed to get a 40 story (phase 1) tower. The rest of the block with its classic mid rise brick buildings would be unscathed.
    The Giant SoMA towers were to occupy the abandoned NBNABanko America sites.

BUT NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new YIMBY (Yimby is now useless on my samsung android phone. It won't scroll up or down. Just stays stuck at title. They need to return to prior mobile friendly format. I digressed.)

BUT NOOOOOO!!!!!! The new yimby site shows THE ENTIRE BLOCK DESTROYED!!!! Bye bye NJ Books, and the historical row of soho type 4-6 story 25x100 structures. Bye Bye historic Furniture 8 story building. Now replaced by not 2, but ONE SOMA tower occupying the entire block. NOW THE NBNA/Bank Of America complex is STILL THERE!!!!

I can tell you I'm a pessimist from experience. They are gaming Newark as usual.
    The Landmarks Comitee IS NOW DEFENITELY STEPING IN! THEY BETTER. IN FACT I MAY VISIT Ms DEL TUFO personally!!!!

Those stuctures are mostly vacant with only the retail portion active. ITS MORE VALUABLE DEMOLISHED AND REPLACED WITH A GIANT SURFACE LOT!? WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF GOETTSMAN/EDISON has "temporary" parking plans!!!!

That's the danger here folks. DO YOU WANT A GIANT SUFCACE LOT BLOCK BETWEEN Essex County College and the old Macy Bamberger?

They will demolish that entire block of low and mid rises just in time for the next recession!! Something fishy is going on here. Why the hell not just demolish that vacant Bank of America site?

After decades of being a vacant block, DELAWARE credit Card issuer NBNA built a corporate regional headquarters in Newark across from Nj Books and "Furniture Row". Suddenly Bank of A buys them and ABANDONES the Newark HUB. Yet now SOMA wants to destroy NJBooks/Furniture row for a tower THEY KNOW THEY AREN'T BUILDING. Not at that scale!!! Meanwhile the NBNA site (again) remains vacant!! Newark is definitely cursed ground.

PS. Where the hell did the "market testing" 40 story tower go?
    Last edited by Newarkguy; March 8th, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Veteran

Its being Downtown Brookyln'fied... I don't understand why they plan is so far South and not clustered around University Heights and Broad Street Station...