Page 570 of 668 FirstFirst ... 70470520560566567568569570571572573574580620 ... LastLast
Results 8,536 to 8,550 of 10009

Thread: Newark Development

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Excuse my skepticism but I'll believe this when these projects around NJPAC are actually beyond promising dates and into breaking ground. It going to be a great stabalzier once it happens but I'm not going to get excited until I see some real movement.
    I'm with JCMAN on this. Hopefully this isn't another Shaq-Boraie -type deal where a groundbreaking is held and nothing is actually built.

Is there wheelchair access to the Military Park and Warren Street subway stations? I believe there is at Washington Street station. Anybody know?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    Is there wheelchair access to the Military Park and Warren Street subway stations? I believe there is at Washington Street station. Anybody know?
    Just Washington Street...

Nice to see this plan along with what NJIT building and developing. This has the potential to bridge half of the problem of the dead spot between Penn station and the colleges. http://www.nj.com/education/2015/04/...l#incart_river

Forum Veteran

First architectural elevations for Express Newark project released

KSS Architects of Princeton has provided this rendering of the second floor lobby for Express Newark. (Courtesy KSS)

By Dan Bischoff | For The Star-Ledger
    on April 03, 2015 at 3:00 PM, updated April 03, 2015 at 3:03 PM

The office of Rutgers University Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor has released the first architects' renderings of the planned interior of Express Newark, the new academic arts center and commercial development planned for the old Hahne & Co. department store on Broad St. next to Military Park.

The computer-generated images show a stripped-down space punctuated by glass curtain walls and decorated by out-sized signage and funky sculpture. (One image includes Jeff Koons's gold-chrome "Balloon Dog" filling out a two-story-tall gallery space, like the Koons "Rabbit" in the New School lobby in Manhattan.)
    http://www.nj.com/entertainment/arts...press_new.html

Rutgers plan is complete BS and a disaster for Downtown mobility!!
    I AM OPPOSED TO ANY MORE STREET ELIMINATIONS. NEW STREET MUST STAY OPEN TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. How the hell will drivers access Halsey or Washington street? What! Drive one mile south to commerce or William street? No turns are allowed on Raymond and Broad southbound. No turn on Market street. No turns on Central Ave. How the HELL are drivers supposed to reach Warren street? NO!NO!No!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These damn colleges destroyed Newarks road grid. Newark's Street grid harmoniously blended with the neighborhoods to the west.
    Rutgers, NJIT, ECCC destroyed the grid and severed downtown from the poor neighborhoods to the west.
    James street neighborhood destroyed with only the 3 block "commons" and MLK blvd remaining as a remnant.
    New street was severed as a connection from central ward to Downtown. Burnett st and Eagles st destroyed.
    Summit street destroyed within NJIT. In fact. NJIT Completely destroyed the street grid within their bo
    unds. If they REALLY want to open to the Hispanic and Black city ( Which these racist scumbags wont)They'd RESTORE the grid and NOT HIDE THEIR FAKE GREEKS out of sight!!!
    As for Rutgers tearing down their buildings to put a path.......What afreaking waste of money.
    Rutgers taking over UMDNJ and all their Newark properties have been a disaster for Newark's coffers
    Rutger's interests are in New Brunswick,not Newark. Look at the massive redevelopments they seem to always be building in NB compared to nothing in Newark save for that dorm tower on Central ave.
    IT AINT BROKEN!! DONT "FIX" IT!!!!!!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; April 4th, 2015 at 04:06 AM.

Default Rt. 280 Interchange Improvements

Does anyone know if this project is still scheduled to kick off this summer? It will add a new westbound ramp for 280 to Rt. 21. Supposed to take awhile to complete though - 3 1/2 years from project kickoff.

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/wor...21interchange/

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Rutgers plan is complete BS and a disaster for Downtown mobility!!
    I AM OPPOSED TO ANY MORE STREET ELIMINATIONS. NEW STREET MUST STAY OPEN TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. How the hell will drivers access Halsey or Washington street? What! Drive one mile south to commerce or William street? No turns are allowed on Raymond and Broad southbound. No turn on Market street. No turns on Central Ave. How the HELL are drivers supposed to reach Warren street? NO!NO!No!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These damn colleges destroyed Newarks road grid. Newark's Street grid harmoniously blended with the neighborhoods to the west.
    Rutgers, NJIT, ECCC destroyed the grid and severed downtown from the poor neighborhoods to the west.
    James street neighborhood destroyed with only the 3 block "commons" and MLK blvd remaining as a remnant.
    New street was severed as a connection from central ward to Downtown. Burnett st and Eagles st destroyed.
    Summit street destroyed within NJIT. In fact. NJIT Completely destroyed the street grid within their bo
    unds. If they REALLY want to open to the Hispanic and Black city ( Which these racist scumbags wont)They'd RESTORE the grid and NOT HIDE THEIR FAKE GREEKS out of sight!!!
    As for Rutgers tearing down their buildings to put a path.......What afreaking waste of money.
    Rutgers taking over UMDNJ and all their Newark properties have been a disaster for Newark's coffers
    Rutger's interests are in New Brunswick,not Newark. Look at the massive redevelopments they seem to always be building in NB compared to nothing in Newark save for that dorm tower on Central ave.
    IT AINT BROKEN!! DONT "FIX" IT!!!!!!
    I gotta disagree with you there. To an extent. Everyone is always complaining that there is a lack of pedestrian traffic around here and that more needs to be done to increase it. Well, that area is going to be very nice and connect downtown to U heights. But broad st is wide and uninviting to cross near the park. Why not increase foot traffic by making it just a little more palatable? Esp in thst area, right near njpac, and close enough to griffith and thr other little section between there and washington park that could use a facelift? That tiny section of new st is barely worth anything except to park anyway. Halsey can easily be accessed from central ave a few blocks away. Also makes that section of Halsey easier to cross. This should also increase traffic to the shoppes at Broad. Not saying the grid wasn't screwed up by the colleges, but with what we have to work with now, I'm not opposed to the idea. Also disagree about the racist thing. RU-Newark is on the verge of a large scale project dealing w Newark local youth, and the poorest people do not drive anyway, so who are the roads benefitting other than the suburbanites who refuse to walk or use mass transit, but would rather drive everywhere and skip what Newark has to offer?

Default very curious on this one

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    It looks like it will be across City Dock Street and next to the FBI building.

http://www.matrixcompanies.com/

It will be on the site marked "Waterfront Mixed-Use Site with Parking.) ^^^^
    As long as they leave enough room for the Waterfront Park (orange boardwalk in the Ironbound) to advance up the river, I am all for this project. Unfortunately, it will do next to nothing to affect the local businesses as all local travel options are within 1 block, and nowhere near the local retail. It would also not surprise me if they build skybridge to connect the building with Penn Station through the Newark Legal Center, but I absolutely hope they do not.
    Certain projects have a huge amount of potential depending on how they are delivered. I am hoping the city ties the city dock street and riverfront access requirements to this because it would literally connect the NJPAC and Penn station along the river. If that gets accomplished it can be folded into Riverfront park and its only an Edison parking lot in between to connect everything. It's worth nothing that the current site (Riverfront Plaza and Panasonic) were both required to provide riverfront access and the paved walkway that exist now along the river. The city can push for more of this as a value add to any hotel & Residential project. It makes a huge difference to have that access and have it encouraged by the developer as a sell point rather than just have the city shoving it down their throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    I gotta disagree with you there. To an extent. Everyone is always complaining that there is a lack of pedestrian traffic around here and that more needs to be done to increase it. Well, that area is going to be very nice and connect downtown to U heights. But broad st is wide and uninviting to cross near the park. Why not increase foot traffic by making it just a little more palatable? Esp in thst area, right near njpac, and close enough to griffith and thr other little section between there and washington park that could use a facelift? That tiny section of new st is barely worth anything except to park anyway. Halsey can easily be accessed from central ave a few blocks away. Also makes that section of Halsey easier to cross. This should also increase traffic to the shoppes at Broad. Not saying the grid wasn't screwed up by the colleges, but with what we have to work with now, I'm not opposed to the idea. Also disagree about the racist thing. RU-Newark is on the verge of a large scale project dealing w Newark local youth, and the poorest people do not drive anyway, so who are the roads benefitting other than the suburbanites who refuse to walk or use mass transit, but would rather drive everywhere and skip what Newark has to offer?
    Larry I am with you but I think it's a moot point as I think both Haynes and Pru require New street for access to their parking garages. I still think they could do a lot by simply doing curb cut outs and changing the road to cobble or pavers so its a walkable street with cafe's ect as a connector. Ultimately you don't need to shut it to traffic just prohibit "through" traffic".

Forum Veteran

Ironbound update

-New York Avenue project was approved for 55 units with day care
    -Ferry/Magazine Street project was approved for 89 units.

Default Newark Renaissance 4 7 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Ironbound update

-New York Avenue project was approved for 55 units with day care
    -Ferry/Magazine Street project was approved for 89 units.
    I am assuming that the New York Ave project will be at 361 New York Ave
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7225...uaMcFTgGOQ!2e0

The Ferry/Magazine project will be at https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7292...6N2j5HBgyg!2e0
    Rumor has it that the building will be 5 stories high. There is a second site for a possible 5 story building very close by on the next block. Both are very close to the Pathmark shopping center.

Other major projects include;
    1. NJPAC Tower, 22 floors/242 units, Mid-May groundbreaking confirmed by NJPAC CEO
    2. Shaq Tower, 23 or 25 floors/169 units, Summer 2015 real groundbreaking confirmed by NJPAC CEO
    3. Maker's Village, $30 Million Vertical Farm, 1 month to start
    4. 15 Washington Street, Renovation for 350 students, now underway
    5. New Prudential Tower, completion in Summer
    6. Hahne's Building, Renovation of existing building underway now, 6-8 story extension on Halsey/New Street corner, 160 units
    7. Teacher's Village 17 William Street, 81 units on 6-7 floors, piling underway
    8. Teacher's Village 243 Halsey Street, 63 units on 6 floors, half complete
    9. 101? Market Street by RBH Group, 13 floors of apartments designed by Richard Meier, Fall or Winter 2015 Groundbreaking
    10. Paramount Theater project, 16 floors of apartments and a hotel designed by Frank Gehry, 300 units shared with 101 Market Street, Fall or Winter 2015 Groundbreaking
    11. Baxter Park Phase II, 300 units in 4 buildings, Summer Groundbreaking
    12. Springfield Marketplace (Shoprite), 165 units on 5 floors, topped out
    13. Montgomery Heights Phase II, 154 units on 5 floors, imminent start
    14. Somerset Brownstones, 60 units in 4 buildings, imminent start
    15. Matrix Development site near Penn Station, 220 units, imminent start
    16. New Horizons Senior Housing at Irvine Turner Blvd and Muhammad Ali Ave, 150 units in 10 story building and others, Perhaps 1 year away
    17. Rutgers-Newark Honors Housing, 300+ units, 1-2 years from now
    18. NJPAC Hotel and Conference Center, 20+ floors, 2 years+, design underway

http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

Teacher's Village
    One store is complete (Provident Bank)
    One clothing store will open next week
    Several others will open in a month or two
    The rest will begin work once they receive the dozens of permits. Each store has a handful of permits to get.
    All completed apartments are fully leased, 70% to teachers. Not all of them are Newark teachers
    The development has 60 occupied units, but only 15 cars regularly park there.

View from RBH office

RBH's Four Corners project will consist of 2 simultaneously constructed buildings that will together house 300 mostly market-rate apartments. The buildings are being designed now, will cost $100 Million each, and will likely break ground by the end of 2015. Both buildings will have underground parking, but not much. Instead, there will likely by a valet system to the other RBH owned lots. They own 79 properties that were purchased for $130 Million.
    One will be next to the RBH Office. It will reach from the garage to the edge of 89 Market Street. It will be designed by Richard Meier and rise 13 stories high with ground floor retail.

The second will be 16 stories high and will by designed by Frank Gehry. It will also contain a hotel and some office space, and will somehow incorporate the facade of the Paramount Theater, and replace the buildings seen to the right of it. It will also break ground by the end of the year.

Building at the corner of Halsey and Academy Street

The new pedestrian street partially exists. This crosswalk will be upgraded.

The stairs will be renovated and constructed of brick. Also, the ground floors of both buildings will be renovated with a lot of glass at ground level.

http://www.nj.com/education/2015/04/...rk_campus.html

Rutgers Robeson Campus Center interior future renovation

Site of 300+ unit Honors Residence

The remaining 2 blocks of New Street will be closed to cars. Washington Place is two blocks north, and will serve as an alternative left turn location.

Prudential

Hahne's Building

The existing ramp to the underground parking leads directly to Halsey Street, not New Street.

Washington Park will soon receive a Renovation on the scale of the Military Park renovation. That will occur at least 1-2 years from now, as it is being redesigned.

15 Washington

Cablevision, most beautiful glass ever put on a parking garage

Corner of Broad and Orange Street, will it become another victim of parking lot expansion?

Former Westinghouse Site

Lower Broadway District

Site of new ramp from I-280 to Route 21

Question Mart has likely closed.

Streetscape Improvements

Corner of Broad Street and Bloomfield Avenue

Rockplaza Lofts

New store in National Newark Building

http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar
    Last edited by towerpower123; April 8th, 2015 at 04:19 AM.

Forum Veteran

Whats going up on Sussex Ave and Newark St? A reddit poster would like to know..

Thanks again TowerPower for your beautiful photos...you keep former Newarkers like myself connected to "home" even though I'm a thousand miles away!!

Two things: in your "Urbanism vs Modernism" blog, near the bottom, you show where the RHB 4 Corners project will embrace a 16-story building. Please tell me that the plan is NOT to tear down those beautiful old buildings (the one with the Fish Market sign on up to the Paramount) to make way for a low-rise building. Also, are the Rock Plaza Lofts currently leasing? Anyone know if they are successful or not? Thanks again....

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    Thanks again TowerPower for your beautiful photos...you keep former Newarkers like myself connected to "home" even though I'm a thousand miles away!!

Two things: in your "Urbanism vs Modernism" blog, near the bottom, you show where the RHB 4 Corners project will embrace a 16-story building. Please tell me that the plan is NOT to tear down those beautiful old buildings (the one with the Fish Market sign on up to the Paramount) to make way for a low-rise building. Also, are the Rock Plaza Lofts currently leasing? Anyone know if they are successful or not? Thanks again....
    RockPlaza is fully leased, although one or two units become available every once in a while as usual, and thus is quite successful. The retail is busy on most days, particularly all weekdays. During Prudential events, Dino BBQ and Chipotle are so busy that they have lines out the door.
    The RBH four corners project will preserve the facade of Paramount and demolish the completely decayed interior. The fate of the buildings seen to the right of it depends on their conditions. I hope they will at least preserve the facades! I would expect a ripply facade tower rising out of a podium with the historic facades, similar to 8 Beekman in Manhattan but far smaller. It will be a Frank Gehry building afterall.

There is actually a huge demand for residences in Downtown Newark as Jersey City, Hoboken, and Brooklyn have become too expensive and Newark is only 20 minutes from NYC by rail. As the numerous projects I mentioned above are completed within the next 3-5 years, Newark will become extremely popular and attractive to anyone who wants to live in a city.

There are two huge differences that will spur all of that development and more.
    The first is that there was never a precedent for downtown residential space, so most lenders were still wary of the prospect of building residences here. As projects like Teacher's Village have been completely filled (all units were leased within days of hitting the market), they now have proof that Downtown Newark is extremely viable.
    The second relates to the zoning. The recently passed Zoning updates took effect in early March and have streamlined the entire approval process, particularly making the several downtown development plans law that override the zoning. Newark once used zoning maps from the 1930's and a set of zoning code rules that dated back to the modernist planning era of 1957. It took until 2015 to actually change the zoning to accommodate the modern pedestrian friendly development standards. The result has made a lot of development, particular infill development, possible and quicker.
    Last edited by towerpower123; April 8th, 2015 at 05:34 PM.