Page 575 of 668 FirstFirst ... 75475525565571572573574575576577578579585625 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,625 of 10009

Thread: Newark Development

Default New Lister Ave Building Going Up

Directly across the street from the massive new logistics building at 60 Lister Ave, there's another steel structure rising. I believe it's being built around the (relatively new) Wakefern distribution center, so I was wondering if this is an expansion of that facility. Anyone know more? That area's seeing tremendous growth - probably more than any other area in Newark. New Class-A distribution building construction all over!

This is really good news for an area that has been completely neglected for so long and also for providing jobs and stable income for the many Newarkers who don't have post-secondary education.

LOVING the color alternating illumination of the Prudential logo on their new building. I'm waiting with bated breath on how Hanini will illuminate the Hahnes building at night. Also noticed the IDT sign is now lit on the side facing Washington Park. Hopefully they'll do something on the façade facing east. Now if only Berger can turn the lights back on the Military Park building... and it would be awesome if Verizon followed suite and did some illuminated architecture on their headquarters at 540 Broad - such a gorgeous building during the day but a dark block on the Newark skyline at night.

Brooklyn Investor Bets on Newark

By Steve Lubetkin New Jersey

Hallmark House, 10 Hill Street, Newark, NJ

A Brooklyn investor is placing a large bet on the redevelopment of downtown Newark, NJ, while office leasing continues apace in the urban core and in the outer rings. Here are some deals we noted:
    SALES

NEWARK, NJ–Eastern Union Funding
    arranged a $28.8 million acquisition loan on behalf of Brooklyn based investment company PF Holdings LLC for its purchase of the Hallmark House, a 20 story, 429-unit luxury apartment complex, with an additional commercial space, located at 10 Hill Street near City Hall in Newark, NJ. Eastern Union’s David Metzger and Nate Hyman originated and arranged a fixed-rate non-recourse, 10-year loan with a competitive rate of 3.25 percent. The financing covered 80 percent of the purchase price. The property is a prime example of the changing landscape, and positioned to benefit from all of the activity, says Hyman. “It’s a prime location, there’s a lot of upside on the commercial unit and we were able to get a great deal structured,” says Hyman. “We have close relationships with local banks that are noticing the redevelopment and will compete on leverage and rate in Newark.”

- A good sign IMO

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    Brooklyn Investor Bets on Newark

[...]a fixed-rate non-recourse, 10-year loan with a competitive rate of 3.25 percent. The financing covered 80 percent of the purchase price.
    dammm. those are some good loan terms!

Default Newark to World Trade Center PATH riders will soon arrive in style!

The new platform for the Newark line at the World Trade Center station will soon open, giving us something that Hoboken riders have enjoyed for several months now. They were frantically working to finish the section Wednesday night in order to open it for the first train at 5:45 am. From that point on, the temporary station will be shut down. It was already closed as a Newark train was using the Hoboken track at 11:55 PM.

The following images and many more are posted on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

Working to finish the next section for the opening

Escalators down

Cleaning the platform

Newark train by the fine Italian marble

It is about time! The next temporary entrance will go through 2 WTC and will open very soon. The rest of the station, including the grand oculus, will open by the end of the year. Glass is already being installed to enclose it.

Forum Veteran

They had Newark trains on the Hoboken Platform a few weeks ago...

Forum Veteran

So yesterday I was at the WTC taking some photos of the New train station that had opened on Wednesday. I wasn't there for more then 30 seconds when the guard approached me pointing a Flash light and yelling at me to stop taking photographs... I had read a Hudson reporter article saying that it was legal to do so , which I told him. He said I had to delete my photos , I told I wasn't.... After a few more minutes oh arguing with him over it , he decides to give up and walk away. But as he was walking he said something threatening , I couldn't make it out...but I decided to call him out on it...which I realize was a mistake... He comes back over even more aggressive then the first time. I then ask for his name so I could report him , he refuses...so I go to take his photograph and he tries to reach for my camera. I decided to leave the station not wanting to escalate things further and on my way up I spoke with a staffer about the rules...Which he seemed unsure of...

During this whole time , numerous other people were taking photos with there phones....I guess because I had the big DSLR I drew attention to myself. But over the last few days 100s of photos of the station have been taken... I didn't delete the photos if your wondering I uploaded them to my Flickr... I know the PA had a Photography ban in the past , but over the last few years it has been quietly removed... I do hear of people being harassed in the Aviation & Bridge community from time to time...by Security Guards.. I don't spend much time at PA facilities aside from the WTC... I never saw any signs on the PATH , only a few at the Bus Terminal which were removed last year...and a few on the Bridges which were removed from what ive heard.

The Article where it says it legal http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/f...videographers-

Forum Veteran

New Oliver Street School Construction in The Ironbound

Newark Rising - Oliver Street School
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

Newark Rising - Oliver Street School
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

Hey everyone. I am a long time reader, but first time poster. Just wanted to say as a native Newarker who lives in the North Ward it is awesome to see a thread that actually tries to shows that Newark is redeveloping and is not what most people in the subrurbs think, which is to say an economically depressed city. I love coming on here and seeing all of the pictures about the new projects being developed in the city, though if I had one complaint it would have to be the fact that it seems posters are only focusing on developments in downtown and Ironbound. I think Newark has done a great job of spreading development all over the city, well they tried really since it'll take alot more work in the West and South Wards, but the city has some projects happening in the North Ward such as some luxury apartments being constructed by McCarrter Highway just a block away from St. Michael's Church on Broadway. Also, I was driving in Forest Hill today and saw by Park Elementary School a bunch of new multi-story family homes that are absolutely beautiful I might add. I just wanted to point these things out since I sometimes feel people only expect all the development to happen in downtown and Ironbound. What do you guys think? Again, wonderful job with the thread. I hope to post a bit more on here if the time allows.

Forum Veteran

Smothered Pork Chops with Mac N Cheese & Mashed Potatoes at Dukes Southern Table

Smothered Pork Chops with Mac N Cheese & Mashed Potatoes at Dukes Southern Table in Newark,NJ
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynor Diaz View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a long time reader, but first time poster. Just wanted to say as a native Newarker who lives in the North Ward it is awesome to see a thread that actually tries to shows that Newark is redeveloping and is not what most people in the subrurbs think, which is to say an economically depressed city. I love coming on here and seeing all of the pictures about the new projects being developed in the city, though if I had one complaint it would have to be the fact that it seems posters are only focusing on developments in downtown and Ironbound. I think Newark has done a great job of spreading development all over the city, well they tried really since it'll take alot more work in the West and South Wards, but the city has some projects happening in the North Ward such as some luxury apartments being constructed by McCarrter Highway just a block away from St. Michael's Church on Broadway. Also, I was driving in Forest Hill today and saw by Park Elementary School a bunch of new multi-story family homes that are absolutely beautiful I might add. I just wanted to point these things out since I sometimes feel people only expect all the development to happen in downtown and Ironbound. What do you guys think? Again, wonderful job with the thread. I hope to post a bit more on here if the time allows.
    I think the North Ward just needs some Complete Street upgrades along Mount Prospect & Bloomfield Avenues. Along with restoring the lower Boonton line & building the Newark - Paterson LRT...which will cause an explosion of redevelopment in the North...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    I think the North Ward just needs some Complete Street upgrades along Mount Prospect & Bloomfield Avenues. Along with restoring the lower Boonton line & building the Newark - Paterson LRT...which will cause an explosion of redevelopment in the North...
    Really great points Nexis.

As for the North, I love it. I think you are right in that it doesn't get as much attention as ironbound and downtown, but it has A LOT of potential. I go to the north ward a lot and bring out of towners there as well, as I think it is one of the better atributes of Newark. Please continue to post. I agree the north/east/central can form a really strong base. The west and south are also beautiful in many areas, just will need more support to get back. Hopefully, city-wide we can all do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    Really great points Nexis.

As for the North, I love it. I think you are right in that it doesn't get as much attention as ironbound and downtown, but it has A LOT of potential. I go to the north ward a lot and bring out of towners there as well, as I think it is one of the better atributes of Newark. Please continue to post. I agree the north/east/central can form a really strong base. The west and south are also beautiful in many areas, just will need more support to get back. Hopefully, city-wide we can all do this.
    You are right with the North Ward having alot of potential. It is not in terrible condition, Bloomfield Ave. is stable though in need of a face lift, and it is one of the only parts of Newark that still has a few brownstone buildings scattered around. I think development will pick up around the light rail route which will do wonders for the North, but I think a game changer could be putting a light rail line up Bloomfield Ave and trying to add more modern looking mixed use buildings on Bloomfield Ave and Mount Prospect. Mount Prospect has so much potential to be a sort of high end restaurant row if the city plays its cards right, especially since it seems Forest Hill is getting renewed interest from upper middle class people. Hopefully, with downtown rebounding, Ironbound looking like in 10 years it can be Newark's answer to Hoboken, and the North Ward's redevelopment picking up this city will start to see sustained growth. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynor Diaz View Post
    You are right with the North Ward having alot of potential. It is not in terrible condition, Bloomfield Ave. is stable though in need of a face lift, and it is one of the only parts of Newark that still has a few brownstone buildings scattered around. I think development will pick up around the light rail route which will do wonders for the North, but I think a game changer could be putting a light rail line up Bloomfield Ave and trying to add more modern looking mixed use buildings on Bloomfield Ave and Mount Prospect. Mount Prospect has so much potential to be a sort of high end restaurant row if the city plays its cards right, especially since it seems Forest Hill is getting renewed interest from upper middle class people. Hopefully, with downtown rebounding, Ironbound looking like in 10 years it can be Newark's answer to Hoboken, and the North Ward's redevelopment picking up this city will start to see sustained growth. Fingers crossed.
    Agree with you on all points. Bloomfield really just does need an aesthetic face-lift. The residential streets off of it are really nice tree-lined homes, even in the more run-down areas. My dream is to be in Forest Hill, and coming from someone who grew up in the suburbs, I think that's a good thing. Also agree with Mt. Prospect. It has that restaurant feel in the one commercial area similar to many other small downtowns in NJ.

The truth is, the basic infrastructure is in place from way back when. Since many of us see it, I don't think its a stretch to make it happen. We just have to keep seeing increased investment in the right areas. Public transportation of course cold play a very large role. To that end, I do think it's important for like-minded residents across the city to form a more consistent block of support for certain initiatives and positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    Agree with you on all points. Bloomfield really just does need an aesthetic face-lift. The residential streets off of it are really nice tree-lined homes, even in the more run-down areas. My dream is to be in Forest Hill, and coming from someone who grew up in the suburbs, I think that's a good thing. Also agree with Mt. Prospect. It has that restaurant feel in the one commercial area similar to many other small downtowns in NJ.

The truth is, the basic infrastructure is in place from way back when. Since many of us see it, I don't think its a stretch to make it happen. We just have to keep seeing increased investment in the right areas. Public transportation of course cold play a very large role. To that end, I do think it's important for like-minded residents across the city to form a more consistent block of support for certain initiatives and positions.
    I agree with the above posters, it's nice to hear more about developments outside of downtown. North Ward has some potential, especially since it has the lightrail, and the potential for more mass-transit expansion along the Passaic. The biggest issue for the North, (and South and West, really) is that it doesn't feel particularly urban. Long blocks, quiet, tree-lined streets, and single-use zoning make the neighborhoods almost indistinguishable from Nutley, Bloomfield, and all the other leafy suburbs. The current administration seems proactive towards zoning updates, I hope they can nudge the whole city towards higher-density housing and mixed-uses.