Page 589 of 669 FirstFirst ... 89489539579585586587588589590591592593599639 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,835 of 10027

Thread: Newark Development

Default From newarkpulse

08/17/2015 - 11:16 AM | by tamara

Sign of the Times: Nike Factory, Daycare, Noodles & more

There's so much construction going on - it's hard to keep track of the openings and closings and especially what's coming (soon)... so here's our run-down for what we've seen for August.

MORE RETAIL TO COME

Posted this weekend, signs (above) for Nike Factory Store will be opening October 1st on Broad Street near the new Prudential Tower. The Nike Factory Store will join the already opened Gap Factory Store downtown.

Around the corner from the Nike store, a men's retail store is coming, Ron Tomson, based out of Los Angeles, CA. The clothing is European made and styled and will offer a high-end look for Halsey. Check out their offering on their website.

BURGERS & BEER

Military Park's long awaited burger joint, Burg, should be opening very soon. On Facebook, they announced they had to move their July 30th opening as they wait for some additional kitchen equipment. The chef, Chris Siversen of Jersey City's Maritime Parc, is bringing upscale burgers and craft beers to the park. (See more: Burg website) They will be offering eight rotating taps of seasonal microbrews. Closer to the Prudential Center - signage (see below) has gone up for Novelty Burger in the Rock Plaza Lofts but their website doesn't share many details (yet). Along with recently opened, Burger Walla on Halsey we have a burger scene warming up downtown.

Two doors down from Novelty Burger is a sign for a Biergarten, Redd's Biergarten. It's a second location by Redd's, a sports bar in Carlstadt near the Meadowlands. According to their website, they'll be opening Fall 2015.

INTERNATIONAL FLAVORS

Coming near the University area on Bleeker Street, is a sign for Nori - a Ramen and dumpling spot. Looks like downtown is finally getting some international flavors - a great match for the diversity of people, especially two of the most diverse campuses in the nation (Rutgers and NJIT).

A NEW DAY CARE & PRE-SCHOOL ALTERNATIVE

A sign was posted in the newly renovated strip by the Prudential Tower for a well known Child Care Center,Bright Horizons. Their site doesn't show a Newark location yet, but they usually offer options for Infants, Toddlers, Preschool and Kindergarten Prep.

JUST OPENED

Two more places have opened downtown, Jimmy John's on Halsey Street and Cinnamon Sugar Bakery on Market in former Rita's Ice location.

-------------------------------------------------

newarkpulse:

http://www.newarkpulse.com/news/detail/sign-of-the-times-august-2015-nike-noodles

While the lack of major residential projects starting up downtown has been a bit discouraging I have a feeling that NJPAC and the Shaq Tower are waiting to see how the Halsey building does with attracting residents before they break ground as that is a huge residential project. Besides that the new businesses opening up downtown is getting me excited. I may not be the biggest fan of Nike but putting one downtown will do wonders as I think it will do well. That LA store might have a tough time, but they must have a plan if they are opening up in Newark instead of JC, Hoboken, or Manhattan where they will be supported better. Though, the newest business that has me the most excited is not the new burger shops opening up, but the Ramen place. I was just telling my cousin that if a Ramen place opened up in Downtown it would be absolutely perfect as it kinda fills a void that no other restaurant has been able to fill yet. Man I am sooooooo excited for it, and its great to see that Newark is started to get a whole bunch of new restaurants it will really add to the emerging nightlife in the city and maybe even attract people to visit the city once hockey season is over. We shall see how things play out, but it really does seem as the city is finally turning a huge corner. Its very exciting, and as a resident I could not be happier to see it happening during my life time.

Is there any new info on the four corners project or the development behind the Panasonic building and next to the FBI building? Does anyone know when they will start? I think the Shaq and NJPAC towers are just waiting to start construction simultaneously. Now that the PD substation is moving to Military Park building by September, the Shaq tower is planning to start in October and the NJPAC tower could break ground a few months later.

What does Beit mean when he says Newark's streetscape is superior to Brooklyn's? Is he talking about downtown only? Because I've always understood the streetscape in the neighborhoods to be pretty awful.

I just cant picture this, who would be living in there? http://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/u...um-Project.jpg

today this is the nonsense right in front of that building http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c03_1433760926

that happened exactly where the picture up top here was taken http://www.rbhgrp.com/four-corners.html
    Last edited by nignog; August 20th, 2015 at 03:48 PM.

And who would be living in the drug infested warzone 2 blocks down where Teacher's Village is located? Oh wait...

If Beit's not lying I'm kinda surprised it's 100% rented out though,even if it's not that expensive. There is obvious demand despite the ghettoism, which can be addressed by getting rid of the ghetto retail and put it in Irvington..

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post
    I just cant picture this, who would be living in there? http://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/u...um-Project.jpg

today this is the nonsense right in front of that building http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c03_1433760926

that happened exactly where the picture up top here was taken http://www.rbhgrp.com/four-corners.html
    Probably the same ppl who want to live in Downtown Brooklyn or Harlem ....so long as there is a 24/7 connection to the hip parts of Manhattan / Job Hubs of the region ppl will move there. The cheaper rent is bonus... A lot of the Newer buildings in Newark are done just fine...like Marv said you just need to push out the ghetto retail...which is slowly happening in Downtown Brooklyn... and will happen in Downtown Newark eventauly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Probably the same ppl who want to live in Downtown Brooklyn or Harlem ....so long as there is a 24/7 connection to the hip parts of Manhattan / Job Hubs of the region ppl will move there. The cheaper rent is bonus... A lot of the Newer buildings in Newark are done just fine...like Marv said you just need to push out the ghetto retail...which is slowly happening in Downtown Brooklyn... and will happen in Downtown Newark eventauly.
    Newark will lose itself if doesn't tie all these projects together. Downtown will be nothing if it doesn't achieve continuity. Four Corners is a good start.

Marion P Thomas High School (charter) inaguration in progress as I type. The new school one block north of Biotrials. (Corner of Sussex Ave and Newark st.)

Seems like they are getting ready to start construction at the NY ave site. I passed by and there was a dumpster, and a few construction vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post

1 That's the office component. May include Res at upper levels, (or lower third?) Anyhow,just a concept "sketch". Its been reduced to your typical Newark dwarf tower 30 stories or less.

2 The fight is Branford place and Washington. Note the site,although it is 1 block south. THEY COME FROM THE CENTRAL AND SOUTH WARDS TO the "muslim" row.
    When the area gets redeveloped,their "spots for chillin'" will be gone as well.

3. No,that's not "exactly". IT'S A FANTASY GENERIC SKETCH OR TOWERS AND PARALLEL GRASSY LINES IN FORCED PERSPECTIVE. You call that a "picture "? Wow.

Maybe I should create a "I hate Newark because I was programmed to" thread. You can post this,stuff there.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; August 20th, 2015 at 07:08 PM.

The tower hasn't been reduced. The 1000 foot tower is the newest rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by KMD1227 View Post
    Seems like they are getting ready to start construction at the NY ave site. I passed by and there was a dumpster, and a few construction vehicles.
    Is that the boutique hotel project?

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Is that the boutique hotel project?
    It will be an apartment building with 55 units and a daycare. The hotel will be at the corner of Lafayette and Monroe sts.