Page 612 of 669 FirstFirst ... 112512562602608609610611612613614615616622662 ... LastLast
Results 9,166 to 9,180 of 10026

Thread: Newark Development

Quote Originally Posted by montycench View Post
    News roundup:

Audible renovating a church into office space:
    http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20..._newark_c.html

New tax breaks to spur neighborhood development:
    http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...rt_river_index

Town hall meeting in East Ward:
    http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...rt_river_index
    I have been wondering who would take that church. Awesome that audible is going to develop it. Anyone else hear the rumors about a military park style revamping of washington park? That would be huge. Finish the last block or 2 on broad st following the completion of hahnes, and corporate downtown plus U heights is now contiguous. Years from now, my neck of the woods by city hall will also connect. Great time to be here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    I have been wondering who would take that church. Awesome that audible is going to develop it. Anyone else hear the rumors about a military park style revamping of washington park? That would be huge. Finish the last block or 2 on broad st following the completion of hahnes, and corporate downtown plus U heights is now contiguous. Years from now, my neck of the woods by city hall will also connect. Great time to be here folks.
    I have heard rumors of the Washington Park revamping, but I still think you will only see that ever get past the rumor stage if the city is able to get development on the empty lots near the Broad St. Station. I would love to see the revamp though it would just add so much life to that area, and to have to parks like that downtown will only help out with the image of the city. However, it is exciting to be living in Newark right now. It finally looks like the city is changing for the better. Its been only 9 years since all of this activity has started, and I cant wait to see Newark in another 9.

NJIT held a design competition for Washington Park as the original design was horrendous (almost entirely concrete with a volcano cone type structure in the middle that enclosed a seating area. Most of the huge old trees would have been removed). They threw out that plan and are now in the process of redesigning the park. I had not heard anything about the results of the design competition, but it ended in December. They want to do something akin to Military Park because of the huge success it has become.

I am happy to see that Audible is renovating the Church, keeping it from being demolished. I think the project also included the 6 story dark stone building behind the church.

While not completely relevant to Newark, Biotrial, which recently built a new office building here in the Science Park section, had disastrous results from a clinical trial in France where their main operations are held. The drug was a synthetic cannabis based painkiller. 1 person is brain dead and 5 are hospitalized in intensive care out of 90 participants. It was a Phase 1 trial, meaning that a small amount is given to healthy people to test for possible side effects. I expect huge fines for them, although they almost certainly have insurance.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6814641.html

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post

While not completely relevant to Newark, Biotrial, which recently built a new office building here in the Science Park section, had disastrous results from a clinical trial in France where their main operations are held. The drug was a synthetic cannabis based painkiller. 1 person is brain dead and 5 are hospitalized in intensive care out of 90 participants. It was a Phase 1 trial, meaning that a small amount is given to healthy people to test for possible side effects. I expect huge fines for them, although they almost certainly have insurance.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6814641.html
    Wow. That is awful.

Have plans for the Shaq and NJPAC towers been abandoned? Anyone hear anything?

I cant understand how the city could reward Boraire rights to build Trusngle Park and now a fictional office tower on RT21 after their failure at rector st.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

^ $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by montycench View Post
    By "next year" I actually think they mean this year. If you follow the link at the bottom of that article it leads to the original post by the Bike Exchange, which was published on December 28th. For them, that would still make 2016 "next year".
    Rule of newark is double the eta

side note please post a few pictures and then a link, its a pain scrolling through all them over and over on an ipad

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    Have plans for the Shaq and NJPAC towers been abandoned? Anyone hear anything?
    According to SSC forum the Shaq tower has started. There was an article on NJ.com talking about it. Supposedly, they are doing interior work that will take 3 months before it starts to go up. Hopefully, the person who posted it up is correct.

Forum Veteran

There gutting it now , construction is next...

It's great to hear that construction has finally begun. Do you know which version they will build? Will it be the rendering with the blue tower or the brown tower?

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...t_barakas.html

They mention triangle park with a completion date of mid 2018

^^^
    After nearly a decade of delays, the city has finally closed on a deal with Edison Properties and landowner Jose Lopez that will soon put shovels in the ground on the long-awaited Triangle Park.
    The work is expected to be completed by mid-2018, and will include the construction of new mixed-use construction in what are now parking lots surrounding the Prudential Center, as well as a walking bridge similar to New York City's High Line that will connect Newark Penn Station with the Ironbound's Peter Francisco Park, according to Baraka.
    "We finally got them to sign on the dotted line," he said.

Part 5 of that describes a $2.7 Million streetscape improvement for Ferry Street. The section by the triangle that was supposed to be a park near Penn Station and the stretch past 5 Corners is the only areas that need the improvement, other than bike lanes throughout. The rest already underwent a beautiful renovation that only lacks benches and a couple more curb bumpouts in strategic places.

As far as Triangle Park is concerned, I patiently wait for more details on what "mixed use developments" refers to as the Edison preferred plan was effectively an open air mall raised 6-8 feet above ground with solid perimeter walls.

This was the rendering but I can't seem to find it elsewhere other than one of nignog's older posts on the subject. http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...=3727&page=507
    This was Edison's preferred plan as it was the cheapest, effectively two stripmalls on top of their surface parking lots. It would lead directly from the back of the Prudential Center to the rail bridge.

http://glocallynewark.com/traingle-p...ferring-views/
    This was the city's and Boraie's preference for the site, with actually mixed use development and towers up to 40 stories high (perfectly proper scale for a location right next to 30 story towers and the state's busiest transportation hub) but it had very little public parking so Edison hated it.

The site plan of it shows the idea of the "triangle park" flanked by tall towers, leading from the stadium to the rail bridge.

http://glocallynewark.com/triangle-p...nches-forward/
    Something like that is what is needed to revive the downtown core, an extension of the downtown cityscape that slices through the current desolate landscape of a mile of surface lots and chain link fences. The original Edison favored plan will do as much to help the city as Springfield Marketplace does, and will feel completely exclusive, their specific goal for reasons of safety and resulting low costs.

Unfortunately towerpower, I think you've got that backwards. The first picture you posted is actually Boraie's proposal. Check out the picture at the top of this article from NJ.com:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...k_project.html

The first proposal is terrible for reasons you've already pointed out (solid walls that separate the park from the street and retail that turns its back to the streetscape). We all know that Edison's parking lots have been just awful for downtown Newark but credit where credit is due. Edison's proposal for Triangle park is far and away the better of the two options.