Page 617 of 669 FirstFirst ... 117517567607613614615616617618619620621627667 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,255 of 10027

Thread: Newark Development

missed this one initially, Jorge over on reddit posted a related article the merry go round and the beirgarten. Nice things coming soon:

http://www.brickcitylive.com/neighbo...k-this-spring/
    http://www.brickcitylive.com/places-...erry-go-round/

cautiously optimistic on triangle park finally moving forward ... http://politickernj.com/2016/03/rede...triangle-park/

When might we know what it will actually look like? As I recall, the renderings floating around are fairly old. Here's hoping for something tall, dense, and mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by msands7 View Post
    Triangle Park a go! Completion date Summer 2018.

http://www.mattsandelands.com/#!Tria...f20a3057785e01
    The elevated walkway will cross the rail bridge and end at Peter Francisco Park, that triangle at the beginning of Ferry Street (which will also undergo a large renovation very soon.)

This article likens it to the High Line...
    http://www.njbiz.com/article/2016030...-redevelopment

They had better have stairs down mid-bridge to serve the intermediate blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Elliott View Post
    When might we know what it will actually look like? As I recall, the renderings floating around are fairly old. Here's hoping for something tall, dense, and mixed.
    Hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    The elevated walkway will cross the rail bridge and end at Peter Francisco Park, that triangle at the beginning of Ferry Street (which will also undergo a large renovation very soon.)

This article likens it to the High Line...
    http://www.njbiz.com/article/2016030...-redevelopment

They had better have stairs down mid-bridge to serve the intermediate blocks
    Very exciting!

Default Feel good informative piece

Panel: New projects breathing new life into downtown Newark

By Joshua Burd, March 8, 2016 at 11:39 AM
    A Starbucks in downtown Newark sits in the shadow of the Prudential Financial skyscraper. - (AARON HOUSTON)

The completion of major redevelopment projects has helped increase pedestrian traffic in downtown Newark, bringing new glimpses of vitality to a city that hopes to reinvent itself in the coming years.

That was one message from commercial real estate experts during a recent event hosted by the Newark Regional Business Partnership. Speakers pointed to buildings such as the new Prudential Financial skyscraper on Broad Street and the recently opened 15 Washington Street, a historic building that was renovated to become a residence hall for Rutgers-Newark students.

“You’ve got residents now in an area that had no residents,” said Frank Giantomasi of Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC, who moderated the discussion at the NRBP’s annual real estate market forecast last Wednesday. His feelings were echoed by other speakers, who included development executives and other professionals.

“In the last eight-plus years, we’ve really seen a big change,” said Genova Burns LLC partner Jennifer Mazawey, whose firm moved to 494 Broad St. from Livingston in 2008. “It’s different, it’s more vibrant and there are more people.”

Of Prudential’s new 20-story building, a 740,000-square-foot property farther south on Broad Street, SJP Properties executive Peter Bronsnick said it “ties the neighborhood together.” He pointed to the retailers such as Starbucks and Nike that are part of the footprint of the new building, which was developed by SJP and opened last fall.

“I do think that you do see a lot of similarities here starting to occur that we see in a lot of our other successful urban centers around the state,” said Bronsnick, a senior vice president with SJP.

And while downtown Newark is still far from becoming a full-fledged, 24/7 walkable destination, the panelists said the growth of street-level retail is already changing the landscape for the city’s best-known office properties. At Gateway, the four-building complex interconnected by an internal concourse, landlords are taking a different approach to the retail space that lines those pedestrian walkways.

That has led to additions to the space such as a permanent art gallery and a new studio for NJTV, said Kevin Collins, C&K Properties’ managing director for asset services and finance.

“The city is different today,” said Collins, whose firm is the landlord for 2 Gateway Center. “It’s very much changed. Part of our challenge at Gateway is to change the perception and the use of it so that it’s not as forbidding and it’s gated off and so that it does reconnect to the fabric of the street.
    “Our goal with our portion of the concourse is to bring in nontraditional retail uses so that they become destinations.”

Speakers at the Newark Regional Business Partnership event: Standing, from left, Frank Giantomasi, Chiesa Shahanian & Giantomasi; David Ortner, Advance Realty; Peter Bronsnick, SJP Properties; Jennifer Mazewey, Genova Burns; Kevin Collins, C&K Properties; Tom Ponticelli, TD Bank. Seated, from left, Heidi Learner, Savills Studley; Scott Blow, Newark CEDC, Tim Lizura, NJEDA. - (NEWARK REGIONAL BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP)

David Ortner of Advance Realty, which owns One Gateway Center, said the growth of street-level benefits the city as a whole, and that “the retail in the Gateway is going to have to work harder to keep up.”

“We’re dealing with the tenants to try to figure out what they need to keep that as a strong amenity within the building,” said Ortner, a senior development associate with Advance. “It’s always going to have its advantages in terms of inclement weather and convenience to people in the building, but it’s challenging to keep up with the street.

“New York Penn Station is not going to compete with Fifth Avenue, so it’s a challenge, but we’re looking forward to improving and meet what’s happening on the street.

The panelists also said that, ultimately, the hope is that Newark can follow a 24/7 model akin to Hoboken and Jersey City. They also hope the success in the central business district will have a multiplier effect on other parts of the city, as it has in Hudson County.

Bronsnick said it’s still too early to make those comparisons, but Newark has the foundation.

“I think the Ironbound is going to be the catapult that continues to bring people here who want to live here and be downtown,” he said. “And you’ll see just a natural migration outward toward the wards. (With) Hoboken and Jersey City, I think what made them unique was that they kind of took on their own cultural significance, and we have to do a better job of not only selling Newark better, but selling New Jersey better as a real estate community.”

Ortner also pointed to the benefits of the full-fledged redevelopment working taking place in Harrison, which sits just across the Passaic River from Newark.

“The perception of Newark has been an unfortunate challenge that we’ve had to deal with in terms of bringing in new people, and Harrison is more of a blank slate,” Ortner said. “So what I think Harrison does is it brings people into the market and it gives them a second view of Newark when they wouldn’t necessarily have taken the time to look at Newark as an opportunity as a place to live and expand.”

And if you kind of draw a circle around the Harrison waterfront redevelopment district, Military Park, the central business district and Ironbound, you’d have this really vibrant, dynamic city. And I think the people who are looking at Harrison are ultimately going to spend their time and their dollars in Newark because they see it as a really exciting place to be, and it offers a lot of advantages.”

---------------------------------

from njbiz

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20160308/NJBIZ01/160309789/panel-new-projects-breathing-new-life-into-downtown-newark
    Last edited by 66nexus; March 9th, 2016 at 06:33 PM.

And great news about Triangle Park (hopefully it's real this time).

As for the renderings I think everything is basically washed away as the city's RFP is basically for design and project management on this. The RFP is curious in that it literally gives a budget range from 20-30 million and I'm still not quite sure how they are going to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post

And if you kind of draw a circle around the Harrison waterfront redevelopment district, Military Park, the central business district and Ironbound, you’d have this really vibrant, dynamic city. And I think the people who are looking at Harrison are ultimately going to spend their time and their dollars in Newark because they see it as a really exciting place to be, and it offers a lot of advantages.”
    I think the city of Newark is going to have to make substantial progress in a few key areas before people choose it over Harrison. One of the key tasks is creating a more welcoming atmosphere near transit centers; another is offering more residential options within a few blocks of these locations. You have massive office towers to the north of Penn Station along with a few empty pieces of land and parking lots, and several large parking lots to the south, and a similar atmosphere around Broad Street Station; in my opinion this doesn't create a very 'inviting' scene. On the other hand, there aren't too many residential options near Penn Station or Broad Street Station. Even the residential developments that have received tons of media attention over the past few years (NJPAC, Shaq towers, and Hanhe's redevelopment) aren't that close to either station (it would take at least 10, if not closer to 15 minutes to walk from the NJPAC site to the PATH station platform). For comparison, we have retail developing in Harrison that is immediately adjacent to our PATH station and literally hundreds of apartments that are within just 2-3 blocks of it. I'm all for Newark's redevelopment but the city (and state?) are going to need to do more to get the right elements in place to entice the masses to move there.
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 10th, 2016 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I think the city of Newark is going to have to make substantial progress in a few key areas before people choose it over Harrison. One of the key tasks is creating a more welcoming atmosphere near transit centers; another is offering more residential options within a few blocks of these locations. You have massive office towers to the north of Penn Station along with a few empty pieces of land and parking lots, and several large parking lots to the south, and a similar atmosphere around Broad Street Station; in my opinion this doesn't create a very 'inviting' scene. On the other hand, there aren't too many residential options near Penn Station or Broad Street Station. Even the residential developments that have received tons of media attention over the past few years (NJPAC, Shaq towers, and Hanhe's redevelopment) aren't that close to either station (it would take at least 10, if not closer to 15 minutes to walk from the NJPAC site to the PATH station platform). For comparison, we have retail developing in Harrison that is immediately adjacent to our PATH station and literally hundreds of apartments that are within just 2-3 blocks of it. I'm all for Newark's redevelopment but the city (and state?) are going to need to do more to get the right elements in place to entice the masses to move there.
    I agree, but I don't believe that's the point they were making. I believe they were saying that since Newark has the Ironbound and such so close to Harrison, that anyone who is living in Harrison is eventually going to be exposed to Newark and may actually spend some money there. I don't think they were saying folks would move to Newark over Harrison at all. Newark CBD and Ironbound plus Harrison waterfront make for a dynamic 'mini-city'. They complement each other on their strengths.

Default Newark Developments March 2nd and 8th

All images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/2016/03/newark-jersey-city-and-hoboken-3-1-2016.html?view=sidebar
    Renderings are on their respective sites and are linked.

420-428 Market Street

11 Union Street

167 Lafayette Street

82 Bruen Street completed

67-89 Bruen Street site (future new apartment building) and 95-111 Railroad Avenue (warehouse to residential conversion)

58 Elm Street (6 1/2 story apartment building)

55 Liberty Street Gray Charter school (5th floor addition to white building)

84 Walnut Street

and 23 Cottage Street

New Oliver Street School

127-143 Chestnut Street factory to residential conversion and addition

Ironbound Sports Complex

360 New York Avenue (4 story residential)

Newark 3 8 2016

Rutgers Life Sciences II

Hahne's Building and Extension

1-17 James Street (Audible.com Church office renovation)

40 Rector Street/Shaq Tower

16 Ferry Street
    I think they are getting paid by the hour to install that brick...

11 Union Street

135 Monroe Street (renovation to apartments)

Carvi Hotel Site

124 Adams Street (conversion to retail and residential)

New York Avenue new Bayonne Boxes

90-94 Garden Street

164 Lafayette Street New Park!

Triangle Park sites general views

News vans at Newark Penn Station covering possible rail transit strike

24 East Park Street (Carlton hotel renovation)

Prudential Tower

NJIT Central King Building

NJIT Integrated Sciences Center

Military Park Carousel

All images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/2016/03/newark-jersey-city-and-hoboken-3-1-2016.html?view=sidebar
    Renderings are on their respective sites and are linked.

Wow just wow. Did not realize how much development is happening in this city. I thought Downtown was up and coming, Ironbound is just thriving. I can see it, in 5 to 10 years, being Essex County's hottest neighborhood a la Hoboken, just hope it does not lose its ethnic character. On the other hand, I am soooo excited to see the Triangle Park finally get started. It will really put the Downtown development into a whole other gear, it will be a game changer. I just have one question. Does anyone know what is going on with the abandoned warehouse near the Orange Street Light Rail station? I asked on the SSC boards a couple months back, but no one seemed to know just that it was at one time part of NJIT's gateway development. However, lately I have been seeing signs that some type of construction is happening there from the fact that there are some construction tools on the lot, the lights are on in the building and the overhead protection used on the sidewalks when construction is going on has recently been put on the sidewalks. Now I dont think its housing, maybe just maintenance but if it is being converted to something this could be huge as that stretch of blocks is just to dark and quiet even during the day. I hope I can get better results about what is happening there.