Page 620 of 667 FirstFirst ... 120520570610616617618619620621622623624630 ... LastLast
Results 9,286 to 9,300 of 9992

Thread: Newark Development

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    Also, as part of the land-grab occurring from the expansion of the Port of Newark for New Panamax ships, two huge warehouses will be built soon.
    A 1,006,083 (yes, one million) square foot warehouse will be built at the end of Blanchard street, on the big open site next to the Covanta waste incineration plant.
    Yes, that is the site that has been in the process of being cleared for the past 6 months or so. The project was originally conceptualized all the way back in the late 1990's so it's a really great thing to see it finally becoming a reality. There were so many dilapidated buildings on that site that you could see from the PATH between Harrison & JSQ along the Passaic riverbank that were some of the ugliest eyesores in the area but are now gone; there are two left that have been gutted and it looks like they'll be coming down within the next month or so, to be replaced by a gleaming new building with great landscaping and state-of-the-art technology. The developer is the Morris Companies, which is the same developer that built the other great new logistics building a few blocks away on Lister Avenue (also adjacent to the river). They're completely making over that whole area....pretty mind-blowing to see such a dramatic transformation happen.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Yes, that is the site that has been in the process of being cleared for the past 6 months or so. The project was originally conceptualized all the way back in the late 1990's so it's a really great thing to see it finally becoming a reality. There were so many dilapidated buildings on that site that you could see from the PATH between Harrison & JSQ along the Passaic riverbank that were some of the ugliest eyesores in the area but are now gone; there are two left that have been gutted and it looks like they'll be coming down within the next month or so, to be replaced by a gleaming new building with great landscaping and state-of-the-art technology. The developer is the Morris Companies, which is the same developer that built the other great new logistics building a few blocks away on Lister Avenue (also adjacent to the river). They're completely making over that whole area....pretty mind-blowing to see such a dramatic transformation happen.
    I am hoping these large scale commercial projects will result in both jobs for Newark residents and solid ratables for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by newarkdevil1 View Post
    I'm going to wait to see what happens. It seems odd to pay that much when there are two large flattened lots right next door which would seem to be easier to develop. Additionally I had heard NJIT had bid hard on this so I wouldn't be surprise to see some horsetrading. Here is what really scares me, the developer receive a bill for property tax from the city for a developed lot and turns around and demolishes the stadium and leaves it for 10 years sitting fallow like Berger did with the Lincoln Motel site.
    Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Just because the bears folded doesn't mean a future team won't come to Newark once everything around builds up.
    ADOFO Wilson is an idiot! "The stadium didn't work out" NO! NEWARK'S PROMISES TO REDEVELOP AROUND IT DIDN'T "WORK OUT".
    Sure,blame the stadium!.

That is EXACTLY what will happen.
    1. Demolition to the shock of suburbanites & delight of the "told you so" Newark haters.
    2. It will be land banked for 20-30 years just like the Edison lots.
    3. Newark will become famously notorious example of "liberal waste of money". National media will cover demolition giving G the City another black eye that'll take decades to hesl.

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Just because the bears folded doesn't mean a future team won't come to Newark once everything around builds up.
    ADOFO Wilson is an idiot! "The stadium didn't work out" NO! NEWARK'S PROMISES TO REDEVELOP AROUND IT DIDN'T "WORK OUT".
    Sure,blame the stadium!.

That is EXACTLY what will happen.
    1. Demolition to the shock of suburbanites & delight of the "told you so" Newark haters.
    2. It will be land banked for 20-30 years just like the Edison lots.
    3. Newark will become famously notorious example of "liberal waste of money". National media will cover demolition giving G the City another black eye that'll take decades to hesl.
    Your suspicions are justified, but I am a bit more optimistic given that the buyer paid $23.5m for it. Doubt they are putting that kind of money up to let it sit fallow for awhile.

The buyer, Lotus Equity Group, is an affiliate of C&K Properties. The latter is a pretty well established outfit that owns 2 Gateway Center. Guessing they have been observing Newark from their foothold and want to get a bigger piece of the pie.

It's definitely not land banking. I just hope they develop the site smartly and timely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
    Your suspicions are justified, but I am a bit more optimistic given that the buyer paid $23.5m for it. Doubt they are putting that kind of money up to let it sit fallow for awhile.

The buyer, Lotus Equity Group, is an affiliate of C&K Properties. The latter is a pretty well established outfit that owns 2 Gateway Center. Guessing they have been observing Newark from their foothold and want to get a bigger piece of the pie.
    Very, very interesting tid bit. Thank you for this. Seeing as how C&K is an affiliate of the buyer, I trust they have good plans. It is interesting that NJIT was bidding though, I wonder if they wanted to keep the stadium, being that they are in the process of upgrading their athletics etc. Would have been nice if NJIT used that as their own stadium and the current buyer developed a closer area. But in any event, glad to see that portion of downtown developing slowly but surely. I think Rector is slowly but surely happening too, despite the pessimism due to the delay. As we see with many of these projects, they are planned, and sometimes take a long time to come to fruition, but they do come to fruition. The growth will speed up as things fall into place. We already see that now.

It would be nice if NJIT would take the stadium, but the games are so empty, only about 20 people show up at most! You never know when they are, even though admission is usually free.

Also 40 Rector Street has yet another dumpster full of debris. They are very slowly clearing the interior with a crew of 4-5 people at most. It will speed up a lot when they finish that and move on to the more intense demolition of the rear of the building. If only they would remove the broken windows and board that up...

Yeah, that makes sense. I also can't wait to see the partial Rector demolition start to take place. I can still remember watching the S. Klein building come down. It was a great sight, knowing what would replace it. I drive by the One Riverview site every day, so its nice to see some progress albeit slow.

Quote Originally Posted by KMD1227 View Post
    Some highlights of that report
    • The Newark Jobs Program is expected to produce 17,000 jobs
    • A City of Newark Port Authority Oversight Committee will watch over the Port Authority projects that effect Newark (PATH Extension)
    • Several sources provided tens of millions of dollar's in new revenue for the city.
    • 276-300 Clinton Avenue will become a women's health center
    • 17 city owned buildings will undergo energy efficiency upgrades
    • NJPAC Tower is mentioned again as a 22 story, 244 unit building
    • 416 Broadway will become a 60 unit apartment building (across from Mount Pleasant Cemetery)
    • 1136-66 Raymond Boulevard, which has not started yet, will become a 110 room extended stay hotel
    • 101 14th Avenue will become a supportive housing project by the New Community Corporation
    • 14 Chester Avenue, adjacent to Route 21 in the far north ward, will become a 128 unit apartment complex
    • The most recent state budget has $27 Million in new funding for Newark schools
    • 16 new murals have been completed last year
    • 5 Centers of Hope have opened already and 3 more will open by the summer, providing assistance to help addicts recover.

Also of specific note is that the Green Street Parking Garage, on that huge surface lot between City Hall and the Prudential Center, will begin construction in the First Quarter of 2017!!! Page 7. Design work is underway now. This is next to the Triangle Park project, which is curiously not mentioned at all!
    Also, the garage below Military Park will begin renovations this summer.

The abandoned baseball stadium will be demolished after only seventeen years.

Forum Veteran

Are the cherry blossoms out in Branch Brook Park yet?

I have not been there yet, but some of the cherry blossoms in downtown are blooming now. Might be worth a visit. The official festival is April 9th to 24th.

Also, Edison was approved to make their illegally demolished site at 22-26 Central Avenue legal for surface parking, as it is already used. 14 people showed up to object to it.
    http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...ZBA_160324.pdf
    The other site closer to the Newark Museum remains unpaved and untouched.
    Last edited by towerpower123; March 30th, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Veteran

My Next trip for Urban Jersey is next week... Ill be covering the following neighborhoods...with my New Wide Angle lense.... I will be posting most of my photos over at Skyscrapercity , but the unique nice ones I will also post over here..

Watsessing , Downtown , Lower Bloomfield - Bloomfield

Belleville / Old Boonton Branch - Belleville

Mount Prospect Business District , Forest Hill , Branch Brook Park - North Ward of Newark

Historic James Street , University Heights , , Passaic Riverfront , Downtown Newark - CBD of Newark

Lafayette Street , Independence Park , Eastern Ironbound - The Ironbound

Harrison

-----

Journal Square , Historic Downtown , Jersey City Heights , Weehawken , Union City
    -----

WTC to 59th Street / Central Park South

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; April 3rd, 2016 at 03:04 AM.