Page 624 of 669 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627628634 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 10026

Thread: Newark Development

This the LAST THING I wanted to hear! Yes, it's the OLD building rimshot by 280.
    It also DESTROYED ANY possibility of converting to residential & building a transit oriented village at Orange Street & 1st Street corridor.

I've lived in this city my whole life, know all its politicians are "home grown,prepped up".
    So, it's no surprise NEWARK REFUSES TO ALLOW developers to build Light rail stations.
    Just throw the zoning book in the garbage! Anything to prevent whites (oh, I'm sorry...."g e n t r i f i c a t i o n".

Its,because of stupidity like this Jersey City will be NJ'S largest city by sheet skyscraper volume.
    And once the wealthy in JC reach critical capacity, JC will be consolidated with other Hudson county towns, sealing Newark's fate!

*There will never be a transit village at Orange,Park,Davrnport,Norfolk st stations. 1st Street will now be a parking lot row for another 40 years.
    I knew all that Orange Street village tslk (along with Broad st) is BS.

Besides, THERE'S ALREADY A SHINY NEW STORAGE WAREHOUSE NEXT TO RT 280 on the Sussex Avenue section called "Gould st".
    Last edited by Newarkguy; May 25th, 2016 at 08:42 AM.

While I agree with you about the light rail situation as I think Newark needs to expand the system and feel that the warehouse could be used for other purposes, you have to realize that the market may not be there yet for investment in that neighborhood. I think investors might be nervous with the fact that you have the housing projects right there and the area needs to be cleaned up a bit. On the JC note, I could care less if it over takes Newark as the largest city. It deserves it. It has been working at this for 30 plus years so of course development is coming in mass. As long as it does not affect Newark's chances at growing I will be happy.
    As for the white people argument you brought. I dont think the city has much control over if they move here or not. Once these people come they will get invested in local politics and might even vote for more progressive politicians thar want to make all of Newark a better place.

On another note I found this link http://www.biggestuscities.com/ which released the population estimates for cities for last year. While it shows Newark has fallen to 70th largest city, it has grown by 1,300 give or take. Since 2010 the city, according to estimates, has grown by 4,000 people. This is more than it got all of last decade. If this continues, the city can be at 285,000 people by the next decade. I think this is huge for Newark as this decade kinda felt as laying the ground work for something huge to come. If Newark is able to add and retain 8,000 new people it might give investors more confidence in financing new bigger and better projects in the city. The decade of 2020 can be huge for a rebuilding Newark.

Not only you got the Garden Spires projects closeby, doesn't the NCS still get packed during the am rush before entering Orange St. station? It's only a one car train anyways. Housing near NJPAC and the Broad St. station areas would make more sense as the light rail on that segment isn't as crowded.

As much as I hate to say it, gentrification would work better off Springfield Ave between Bergen St. and downtown starting with 24 Jones. You got more options towards Penn Station(buses, eh) as well as the new retail popping up. What is near Orange St besides that slightly more polished version of C-Town?

Rutgers-Newark, RBH planning $70M residence hall, honors learning facility

By Joshua Burd, May 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM

A new 400-bed residence hall and honors learning facility is coming to downtown Newark under a $70 million project unveiled this week by Rutgers University and developer RBH Group.

The mixed-use project, located a block west of Military Park, will house Rutgers-Newark undergraduates from an elite program focused on addressing social issues as part of the academic experience, according to a news release. As such, it’s expected to help add to the population and economic development activity in the area, along with new street-level retail and open space.

Construction on the 320,000-square-foot, Perkins Eastman-designed complex is expected to begin late this year and be completed in 2018, the organizations said in a news release. It will be located on the block bounded by New, Washington, Halsey and Linden streets in downtown Newark, a block west of the new 20-story Prudential Financial tower on Broad Street.

The current, inaugural cohort of 30 students for what is called the Honors Living-Learning Community will be joined by 60 more this fall, the news release said. The group was selected from more than 750 applicants, and Rutgers-Newark expects the program to add 100 students per year by 2018, including first-year students and community college transfers.

“We see the creation and development of the Honors Living-Learning Community as the physical embodiment of our aspirations for higher education — not only how we need to get much better at identifying and cultivating true talent in students, but in how faculty and staff both nurture and learn from that talent, and therefore advance and increase the impact of their scholarship and professionalism,” Rutgers-Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor said in a prepared statement. “This unique living space will catalyze all of that and we could not think of a better partner than Ron Beit, and RBH Group, with whom we clearly share a deep commitment to leveraging Newark’s tremendous assets — first and foremost its people — to continue driving the city’s and region’s revitalization.”

Related Stories

Future farm: Indoor agriculture is happening today in downtown NewarkClass act: Projects like Teachers Village can draw otherwise wary retailers to urban areas

Based in Newark, RBH Group is the lead developer behind the mixed-used Teachers Village project in the city. That development includes 204 workforce-housing units, three schools, an early childhood learning center, and over 60,000 square feet of retail space.

The firm also is involved in projects such as the construction of new headquarters and facility for AeroFarms, an operator of indoor vertical farms, for what will be the largest project of its kind.

“We are truly excited to have been chosen to help express the vision of Chancellor Cantor and the faculty and students of the Honors Living-Learning Community,” Beit said. “The development of the HLLC complements our mission to develop projects in Newark in partnership with a full range of community partners. We are dedicated to creating affirmative social good by developing innovative and sustainable spaces in urban cores.”

The leaders of the HLLC include Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer Shirley M. Collado, Senior Adviser to the Chancellor and Associate Dean of Arts & Sciences Sherri-Ann Butterfield and HLLC Associate Dean Marta Esquilin, the news release said.

-------------------------------------------

taken from njbiz:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2016052...rning-facility

Wow. Great news - that's a sizable building. Hopefully it's built at least in the midrise height range...

Does this mean it won't be taxed

A new PetCo store will open in the Hahne's Building. It will be 13,049 Square Feet.
    http://www.placenj.com/
    On the same link, 274-282 West Runyon Street in the South Ward will get a 4 story apartment building with parking on the ground floor and 24 apartments above...

About the self storage facilities
    http://www.placenj.com/2016/05/anoth...-opens-in.html

A new restaurant called Resa Grill has opened at 12 Lock Street across from NJIT's GITC building.
    http://www.placenj.com/2016/05/resa-...niversity.html
    Last edited by towerpower123; May 27th, 2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    Rutgers-Newark, RBH planning $70M residence hall, honors learning facility

By Joshua Burd, May 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM

A new 400-bed residence hall and honors learning facility is coming to downtown Newark under a $70 million project unveiled this week by Rutgers University and developer RBH Group.

The mixed-use project, located a block west of Military Park, will house Rutgers-Newark undergraduates from an elite program focused on addressing social issues as part of the academic experience, according to a news release. As such, it’s expected to help add to the population and economic development activity in the area, along with new street-level retail and open space.

Construction on the 320,000-square-foot, Perkins Eastman-designed complex is expected to begin late this year and be completed in 2018, the organizations said in a news release. It will be located on the block bounded by New, Washington, Halsey and Linden streets in downtown Newark, a block west of the new 20-story Prudential Financial tower on Broad Street.

The current, inaugural cohort of 30 students for what is called the Honors Living-Learning Community will be joined by 60 more this fall, the news release said. The group was selected from more than 750 applicants, and Rutgers-Newark expects the program to add 100 students per year by 2018, including first-year students and community college transfers.

“We see the creation and development of the Honors Living-Learning Community as the physical embodiment of our aspirations for higher education — not only how we need to get much better at identifying and cultivating true talent in students, but in how faculty and staff both nurture and learn from that talent, and therefore advance and increase the impact of their scholarship and professionalism,” Rutgers-Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor said in a prepared statement. “This unique living space will catalyze all of that and we could not think of a better partner than Ron Beit, and RBH Group, with whom we clearly share a deep commitment to leveraging Newark’s tremendous assets — first and foremost its people — to continue driving the city’s and region’s revitalization.”

Related Stories

Future farm: Indoor agriculture is happening today in downtown NewarkClass act: Projects like Teachers Village can draw otherwise wary retailers to urban areas

Based in Newark, RBH Group is the lead developer behind the mixed-used Teachers Village project in the city. That development includes 204 workforce-housing units, three schools, an early childhood learning center, and over 60,000 square feet of retail space.

The firm also is involved in projects such as the construction of new headquarters and facility for AeroFarms, an operator of indoor vertical farms, for what will be the largest project of its kind.

“We are truly excited to have been chosen to help express the vision of Chancellor Cantor and the faculty and students of the Honors Living-Learning Community,” Beit said. “The development of the HLLC complements our mission to develop projects in Newark in partnership with a full range of community partners. We are dedicated to creating affirmative social good by developing innovative and sustainable spaces in urban cores.”

The leaders of the HLLC include Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer Shirley M. Collado, Senior Adviser to the Chancellor and Associate Dean of Arts & Sciences Sherri-Ann Butterfield and HLLC Associate Dean Marta Esquilin, the news release said.

-------------------------------------------

taken from njbiz:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2016052...rning-facility
    Sounds good but are they going to build next to McGovern's or knock it down?

NVM. They are going to build around it. Nice. That's whole area is really going to take off.
    http://www.placenj.com/2016/05/rutge...ities.html?m=1

Yay! MCGoverns stays!

During an operation in the first week of June, police made 30 arrests and seized 51 decks of heroin, 15 bags of pot and about 191 prescription painkillers.
    They also wrote 35 quality of life summonses, which include littering, unlicensed peddling and obstructing public passageway. They made 63 traffic stops and wrote 110 motor vehicle violations.
    That was just the first sweep. Anthony Ambrose, the city's public safety director says they will keep coming -- and frequently.
    "This is no one-day thing," he said. "We're changing how we do things.""
    This just might be the best news I've heard out of Newark in my entire life. Way to go!!

Now hopefully many of these arrests lead to real time in prison - and not just a slap on the wrist for these criminals.

btw - I have a feeling that all the hedge funds & private equity firms/developers who've been pouring money into Newark over the last 12 months have something to do with this.

Should be 24/7 365. Do what Guiliani did with Times Square; if that place could be cleaned up so can Broad/Market. Do whatever it takes even if it pisses folks off.

The ghetto retail and the buses coming in from the inner city and nearby Irvington, Elizabeth, EO don't help but this is a start. Maybe then the Four Corners development and gentrification can take off.

Exciting news regarding Riverfront Park! The city held a press conference today about the next phase of expansion. I haven't been able to find any video yet but the city's Department of Economic and Housing Development posted a rendering on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/NewarkDEHD/...type=3&theater

Also, there's an article on Essex County Place stating that the designer of the High Line is designing the expansion. It seems to be good information because Newark Riverfront retweeted it.

http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/high-...expansion.html