Page 625 of 666 FirstFirst ... 125525575615621622623624625626627628629635 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,375 of 9986

Thread: Newark Development

Short video on the Hahne project. No new information but some nice interior shots. Seems to be coming along nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ySwTam2Y0k

Default Old but good

Quote Originally Posted by montycench View Post
    Exciting news regarding Riverfront Park! The city held a press conference today about the next phase of expansion. I haven't been able to find any video yet but the city's Department of Economic and Housing Development posted a rendering on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/NewarkDEHD/...type=3&theater

Also, there's an article on Essex County Place stating that the designer of the High Line is designing the expansion. It seems to be good information because Newark Riverfront retweeted it.

http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/high-...expansion.html
    I think the rendering is an older one but it still serves the purpose of providing the vision and direction of a greener interconnected water front. Based on the images in the NJ.com article I think they essentially are in the design stages for the area west of Jackson except for maybe 50 to 100 feet of walk way under the bridge. The exciting part is the bond issue will cover up to bridge st and it looks like they have worked out with the NHA expanding east into the unused NHA space.

http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/repor...ng-newark.html

this is a little dissapointing but i hope that the area gets some residential buildings soon and for the hotel to get another restaurant.

I'm not surprised it's closing, that area is very much underdeveloped and a bit to far for the event crowds. What I am disappointed about is the fact that the hotel had not been able to attract any other business so replacing Joe's Crab Shack I'm not to sure it will happen for a while.
    Does anyone know what's going on with 27 mix on Halsey. Do they Institute a summer hours or something because I went around 6 a couple days ago and it was closed. I hope that doesn't close down. It was one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

Forum Veteran

There slowly closing down all Joe Crab shacks in the Northeast...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynor Diaz View Post
    I'm not surprised it's closing, that area is very much underdeveloped and a bit to far for the event crowds. What I am disappointed about is the fact that the hotel had not been able to attract any other business so replacing Joe's Crab Shack I'm not to sure it will happen for a while.
    Does anyone know what's going on with 27 mix on Halsey. Do they Institute a summer hours or something because I went around 6 a couple days ago and it was closed. I hope that doesn't close down. It was one of my favorite restaurants in the city.
    Their Hours on their own website http://www.27mix.com/locations/
    Mon-Wed 11:30am-12:00am
    Thur - Fri 11:30am-1:00am
    Sat 5:00pm-1:00am
    Sun CLOSED
    Kitchen closes at 10:00pm Daily

A four story apartment building with 60 apartments called Residences at Symphony Hall is now under construction. It is at 359 Halsey Street, near the intersection of West Kinney Street, across from 60 Nevada.
    http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/new-d...r-newarks.html

According to the Zoning Board agenda, 2 new adjacent buildings will be built at 1039-1051 Bergen Street, containing 42 apartments and ground floor retail/community space. The site is between Beth Israel Hospital and Weequahic Park.

Also, the Riverbank Park baseball stadium site (referred to as Sportsplex Stadium) is being subdivided into two lots to add a parking garage on the McCarter Highway side.
    http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...ZBA160623a.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    There slowly closing down all Joe Crab shacks in the Northeast...

No just urban ones as the cost is to high. Which is a harsh lesson to all future tenants, the area can't support large restaurants yet. The other stores never found a tenant. Only place is market St and

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post
    No just urban ones as the cost is to high. Which is a harsh lesson to all future tenants, the area can't support large restaurants yet. The other stores never found a tenant. Only place is market St and
    They closed a few upstate locations , those were in Suburban areas... The chain isn't doing to well in the Northeast... The can and has supported restaurants just not crappy ones anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    Their Hours on their own website http://www.27mix.com/locations/
    Mon-Wed 11:30am-12:00am
    Thur - Fri 11:30am-1:00am
    Sat 5:00pm-1:00am
    Sun CLOSED
    Kitchen closes at 10:00pm Daily

A four story apartment building with 60 apartments called Residences at Symphony Hall is now under construction. It is at 359 Halsey Street, near the intersection of West Kinney Street, across from 60 Nevada.
    http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/new-d...r-newarks.html

According to the Zoning Board agenda, 2 new adjacent buildings will be built at 1039-1051 Bergen Street, containing 42 apartments and ground floor retail/community space. The site is between Beth Israel Hospital and Weequahic Park.

Also, the Riverbank Park baseball stadium site (referred to as Sportsplex Stadium) is being subdivided into two lots to add a parking garage on the McCarter Highway side.
    http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...ZBA160623a.pdf

Looks like a Petco is going in at Hanhe's? And I guess they'll be keeping the stadium temporarily until they figure out the best use of that land. I'm assuming the parking deck is for NJ Transit commuters given the location.

Also, it seems like all the development proposals these days are going to Newark and JSQ. Virtually nothing left in the pipeline for downtown JC or Hoboken...but these other areas may finally get their long-awaited renaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    They closed a few upstate locations , those were in Suburban areas... The chain isn't doing to well in the Northeast... The can and has supported restaurants just not crappy ones anymore...

Like which? Anything not on market next to devils closes. Heck even bars next to Prudential closes. See folks the problem is everyone is trying to charge Jersey city and Hoboken rate rents but the market in newark can't support it. Hence why all the store buildings at 1180 remain shut, all the store fronts by the hotel remain shut. Sooooon that burger joint in military park will close as i never see anyone there

Quote Originally Posted by nignog View Post
    Like which? Anything not on market next to devils closes. Heck even bars next to Prudential closes. See folks the problem is everyone is trying to charge Jersey city and Hoboken rate rents but the market in newark can't support it. Hence why all the store buildings at 1180 remain shut, all the store fronts by the hotel remain shut. Sooooon that burger joint in military park will close as i never see anyone there
    I think he's talking about Joe's not downtown. Also, I don't think the Burg will close. It gets a good lunch rush and it is in a great spot as the redone military park draws a good crowd. Lastly, if I can remember only one bar/restaurant directly across from Prudential has closed which was Brick City Bar and Grill. The market may not be there for to many luxury spots yet, but the ones there right now are thriving. Downtown is moving in the right direction. Just taking a bit longer than people want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Looks like a Petco is going in at Hanhe's? And I guess they'll be keeping the stadium temporarily until they figure out the best use of that land. I'm assuming the parking deck is for NJ Transit commuters given the location.

Also, it seems like all the development proposals these days are going to Newark and JSQ. Virtually nothing left in the pipeline for downtown JC or Hoboken...but these other areas may finally get their long-awaited renaissance.
    There are still large tracts of land in Downtown JC for development and infill and else where throughout the city (Newport, Lacakawanna area, Hudson Exchange, Liberty Harbor, area behind Medical Center, Bayfront, etc..) that Jersey City isn't close to being built out or sending development elsewhere. There are new proposals and ground breaking still happening in Downtown JC.

Downtown Newark can't support these types of restaurants (unless they are right on top of Edison Place) yet. Nignog is correct, the market in Newark still isn't there. There are still vacancies at 1180 and I've been to Redd's, Mercatos, Edison, Taste Venue, Novelty and they are all awesome places but on non event nights they are dead. I went to Novelty the night of a game and the waiter taking care of me was asking me when did I think fans would start coming in because they hadn't been coming for last few games. He seemed genuinely concerned. Taste venue has even changed owners in its short time open. The only one that consistently does brisk business in Dino that I can see. Newark still needs to mature, and it currently is maturing, but not as quick every one thinks or would like.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; June 24th, 2016 at 11:27 AM.

There has been an Applebees on Bergen St since the early 2000s. If that can survive in that location then there is a market for something similar downtown. The problem is rent and lack of dense middle class housing, which is why those places on Market St. are dead except for Dino(the Devils being lousy doesn't help). One place closing along with its other chains in the tri state area doesn't mean the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    There are still large tracts of land in Downtown JC for development and infill and else where throughout the city (Newport, Lacakawanna area, Hudson Exchange, Liberty Harbor, area behind Medical Center, Bayfront, etc..) that Jersey City isn't close to being built out or sending development elsewhere. There are new proposals and ground breaking still happening in Downtown JC.

Downtown Newark can't support these types of restaurants (unless they are right on top of Edison Place) yet. Nignog is correct, the market in Newark still isn't there. There are still vacancies at 1180 and I've been to Redd's, Mercatos, Edison, Taste Venue, Novelty and they are all awesome places but on non event nights they are dead. I went to Novelty the night of a game and the waiter taking care of me was asking me when did I think fans would start coming in because they hadn't been coming for last few games. He seemed genuinely concerned. Taste venue has even changed owners in its short time open. The only one that consistently does brisk business in Dino that I can see. Newark still needs to mature, and it currently is maturing, but not as quick every one thinks or would like.
    I agree that there's still plenty of land in downtown JC but the problem right now is that land prices are too high to make development work. I have two friends that both work for private equity firms and they've told me that for this reason, they aren't even considering investing in downtown JC because at current prices, the ROI isn't there. One was involved in the recent deal with the stadium in Newark and the other has a few projects under development in the Ironbound; since land is still so cheap in Newark there's a much higher return on development and this is driving developers to take a serious look at it (same is true about JSQ - tons of proposals for hundreds of units have come before the Planning Board around Academy, Newkirk, and JFK in the JSQ area in the last year; on the other hand there have been virtually no new significant proposals for downtown in the last few months - only ones I can think of are the third phase of Fields' development on Van Vorst and a small condo building in Newport).
    Last edited by West Hudson; June 25th, 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Renderings and plans for the Edison Place warehouse. Check it out here:

http://www.mattsandelands.com/#!Newa...f2c8c6f2c49cfd