Page 626 of 666 FirstFirst ... 126526576616622623624625626627628629630636 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,390 of 9986

Thread: Newark Development

That would definitely be a game-changer because it would FINALLY connect the arena to the Penn Station/21 corridor. Let's hope Edison doesn't sit on it like they do.

Also that site plan is VERY encouraging. It really fills out those lots and re-stitches the urban fabric around the arena.
    Last edited by 66nexus; June 27th, 2016 at 12:39 PM.

That project would be a game-changer because it would bring high-density higher-end residential to the downtown area. Hopefully it moves forward in the not-too-distant future. It appears that the Shaq tower is actually still on hold despite the second 'ground breaking' a few months ago, and no news on the NJPAC tower seems to have surfaced recently...

http://www.mattsandelands.com/#!Newa...f2c8c6f2c49cfd

I was wondering how they were going to handle the ground level integration of this thing. It looks like the rumored residential extension of about 10 or 12 floors will actually occur. Of course, these are concept shots and not the final product. They will have to work out ADA accessiblity to that elevated platform and actually design the residential. Also, I hope that they actually come up with something for the space in front of it rather than just a green lawn. Every green lawn in Newark has a fence put around it making it entirely useless and terrible for the pedestrian environment unless it is an actual park.

Amara Associates, an architecture firm, has some plans and elevations for the 540 Broad Street Residential Conversion project for the Verizon Building. According to the Planning Board proposals, there will be 34,499 Square feet of much needed retail space, 63,886 Square feet of office space, some occupied by Verizon, and 267 apartments.
    http://planning.ci.newark.nj.us/wp-c...PB_160627a.pdf

Plans on Amara's website show the 12th floor plan as well as the elevations of the existing building. The only outside changes are the addition of signage and some storefront doors.

http://www.amaraassociates.com/portf...0-broad-street

On the same company's website, 520 Broad Street, the IDT/Audible.com building is supposed to be renovated into apartments. The project proposes adding windows on the blank north and south sides. The project is listed as being "in design" and will have 306 residential units on 17 floors and ground floor retail. Total square footage is listed as 340,000.

http://www.amaraassociates.com/portf...-broad-street/

The website also has Amara listed for the 15 James Street project, Audible.com's conversion of the church on Washington Park into offices, but no details or renderings are given.
    Last edited by towerpower123; June 27th, 2016 at 10:45 PM.

Patience my good friends Patience.

If you scroll back, many projects we currently have up and operating now, were simply "ideas" several years ago, and they hit roadblocks.

The truth is that everything is going to grow out of Military Park/Rutgers/NJIT, and the Prudential Center/Financial District. With The Hahnes, and the several resturaunts etc and Hotel Indigo near Prudential, you have your core developing and being stabilized. It will not happen overnight however, and things will close and other things will open as the slow transition gets fully rooted.

Washington Park is next as the Verizon renovation happens, and there are already commercial entities in place there, also very very close to Halsey and the Colleges. Lincoln Park is the next one, but it is not until Longgggg down the road that it will fully connect to the rest. I live down closer to there, and its slower, but the Fed buildings and city hall provide for another little piece of the patchwork and Monk Room is going to reopen as a new restaurant soon.

My basic point is that things are continuing to open and be in the pipeline. I also saw workers again at the Shaq tower a week or so ago.

Nothing will happen overnight, and things like Joe's closing def. is disappointing, but merely a bump in the road. This is a longgggg term play. The fact is that we need much more middle class housing downtown. Without that people simply cannot support all the new businesses on a daily basis without the event crowds. The lunch crowd is fairly robust, but the evening crowds are still lacking. The issue from my perspective, is that part of the reason I am in Newark is because of its affordability and its culture. But, part of that is that I do not have a TON of disposable income. So when I do go out, I try to patronize a different place each time, but they are days and weeks apart. I am sure many others like me do the same, because we consistently see each other around downtown, but we are still a relatively small group compared to the size and scope of the city. We need more residents and residential developments to spur business.

The good news is that all of that is happening, it will just take time and there will be growing pains.

http://www.placenj.com/2016/06/lease...ecinct-to.html

Does anyone know why its being leased for a dollar? Did the developer receive tax breaks?
    Also, it says that the lease starts on july 1, could the NJPAC site break ground within a few months?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans for the Griffith building? I passed by the building and noticed a dumpster outside and some workers working inside the building.

thought this one would be pretty cool. Apparently it was a hit in West Orange a month ago. http://www.newarkpulse.com/news/deta...ming-in-august

Quote Originally Posted by KMD1227 View Post
    Also, does anyone know if there are any plans for the Griffith building? I passed by the building and noticed a dumpster outside and some workers working inside the building.
    Seems like good news on the theatre square news, but I still don't know what the deal is. Does not seem like a relocation of the police, just an expansion.

As to the Griffith building - that is interesting when did you see this? I have constantly looked at the Griffith building for some indication they were also redoing that, but It seems pretty solidly gated up. Perhaps the workers were simply using the dumpster and etc while working on the Hahnes building. The took some fencing and etc. down from there recently so could be possible. I doubt Griffith is getting any work right now until Hahnes is up, running, and leased, but I have no doubt Griffith will be renovated and updated in the future at some point.

Forum Veteran

The Griffin building is going to be a Luxury Hotel...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    Seems like good news on the theatre square news, but I still don't know what the deal is. Does not seem like a relocation of the police, just an expansion.

As to the Griffith building - that is interesting when did you see this? I have constantly looked at the Griffith building for some indication they were also redoing that, but It seems pretty solidly gated up. Perhaps the workers were simply using the dumpster and etc while working on the Hahnes building. The took some fencing and etc. down from there recently so could be possible. I doubt Griffith is getting any work right now until Hahnes is up, running, and leased, but I have no doubt Griffith will be renovated and updated in the future at some point.
    I passed by a few hours ago. I saw the workers going in and out the building, removing debris from inside the building. The dumpster is right in front of the Griffith and outside of the barriers from Hahnes site, so I don't think it's for the Hahnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    The Griffin building is going to be a Luxury Hotel...
    Are there any renderings available?

I passed by a few hours ago. I saw the workers going in and out the building, removing debris from inside the building. The dumpster is right in front of the Griffith and outside of the barriers from Hahnes site, so I don't think it's for the Hahnes.

Are there any renderings available?

yeah I drove by yesterday, saw the dumpster out front. Very Very interesting regarding hotel plan.

Are there any proposals for rail expansion in the city? I have seen the KC streetcat and the Cincinnati streetcar and I believe that a system similar to those would be good not only for the city, Ironbound and Downtown but also the metro area.

Are there any proposals for rail expansion in the city? I have seen the KC streetcat and the Cincinnati streetcar and I believe that a system similar to those would be good not only for the city, Ironbound and Downtown but also the metro area.
    The Phase II of extending the Newark light rail down Mulberry St. was cancelled permanently. I have not seen any proposals floated for expanding rail service within the City of Newark. I've been saying for quite some time that Newark is easily to reach regionally by rail but unless you are going to the University Heights or North Ward around Branch Brook, you need to take the bus or some form of auto transit to reach the rest of the city. Newark needs to expand rail throughout the city.

The only real expansion is the extension of the PATH to EWR. That'll be a boon for the South Ward if it can draw development and hopefully give the residents of the South Ward a quicker ride to Penn.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; July 1st, 2016 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Veteran

Nothing Rail wise is moving in NJ intill Christie is out of office... Streetcars in my opinion are nothing but toys , Cities in the Northeast wouldn't really benefit from them... A light Rail or Bus Rapid Transit network would benefit most cities in this region... Even the full build out plans still force you to switch in Downtown... Its a Spoke system that is being proposed... A line is needed between Downtown Newark and the West Side of Jersey City via the Ironbound to relieve the PATH of the increased volume from all these redevelopments....

Default light rail extension

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Nothing Rail wise is moving in NJ intill Christie is out of office... Streetcars in my opinion are nothing but toys , Cities in the Northeast wouldn't really benefit from them... A light Rail or Bus Rapid Transit network would benefit most cities in this region... Even the full build out plans still force you to switch in Downtown... Its a Spoke system that is being proposed... A line is needed between Downtown Newark and the West Side of Jersey City via the Ironbound to relieve the PATH of the increased volume from all these redevelopments....
    To me the game changer would be to take the line from the West Side ave Stop over through south Kearny back on the Central Jersey line that used to cut through the Ironbound. If that ran down Raymond or even on the current line that runs parallel to 1&9 it could connect or run to airport or even to proposed Path station. Unfortunately these are pipe dreams unless a Booker or Menendez see a need to push it and finds a willing governor to back it along with NJ transit.

The real question is how to handle what will be continued volume on the PATH when there is no talk of an additional tunnel to add capacity to that system?