Page 629 of 666 FirstFirst ... 129529579619625626627628629630631632633639 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,435 of 9986

Thread: Newark Development

  1. #9421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    You guys have that "move them back to Africa so that we can build tall glass buildings and dog parks" mentality that's just frankly sickening. Move them where? Cities are the only type of municipalities that have all the resources necessary to support the poor and disadvantaged. Any new development should plan for the poverty/minimum wage/disadvantaged... that's including fast food and walmart workers, etc. Inclusionary Housing works well for NYC, although we can do without the Poor Door.
    This has nothing to do with moving the poor out of the city, it has more to do with moving people out of the city that are more detrimental to Newark's image than anything else. Newark has many working poor people that do not act like that, that just want to live in a city that helps them provide for their families. However, when you have, in the city's most visible neighborhood may I add, hooliganism, disrespectful people, etc. what that does is not improve the quality of life, but decreases it. It keeps businesses and people away. It keeps the office workers locked up in their cubicles, instead of trying out the new restaurants opening and shops. It decreases the chance of Newarkers getting jobs that these new businesses need because these people cannot act. Obviously, their needs to be help for the poor, I agree. However, you cannot expect the city to keep footing the bill for these people that spend more time fighting each other because someone looked at the other person the wrong way, than actually working to make a living and pay taxes to help the city start moving in the right direction. Those people are part of the problem that have kept Newark down for so long. Hopefully, with the increased police presence downtown and the new developments coming on line these people will slowly realize that their behavior is no longer tolerated and that they will need to either shape up or move their antics somewhere else.

  2. #9422

    Default

    You say "obviously", but the only solution I ever hear on this forum is to ship the poor people out of Newark and warehouse them in Irvington.
    Anyway, you have to have a little pride in the ones who do make it out of the old Seth Boyden and surroundings.



    Proud of this dude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynor Diaz View Post
    This has nothing to do with moving the poor out of the city, it has more to do with moving people out of the city that are more detrimental to Newark's image than anything else. Newark has many working poor people that do not act like that, that just want to live in a city that helps them provide for their families. However, when you have, in the city's most visible neighborhood may I add, hooliganism, disrespectful people, etc. what that does is not improve the quality of life, but decreases it. It keeps businesses and people away. It keeps the office workers locked up in their cubicles, instead of trying out the new restaurants opening and shops. It decreases the chance of Newarkers getting jobs that these new businesses need because these people cannot act. Obviously, their needs to be help for the poor, I agree. However, you cannot expect the city to keep footing the bill for these people that spend more time fighting each other because someone looked at the other person the wrong way, than actually working to make a living and pay taxes to help the city start moving in the right direction. Those people are part of the problem that have kept Newark down for so long. Hopefully, with the increased police presence downtown and the new developments coming on line these people will slowly realize that their behavior is no longer tolerated and that they will need to either shape up or move their antics somewhere else.

  3. #9423

    Default

    There is a difference between affordable housing and section 8.

    To my knowledge, Richardson Lofts, for instance, is affordable housing.

    I grew up in communities where several units were designated affordable housing units. Most of us kids did not know which units were affordable and which were not. That is actually the idea of affordable housing. There is a designated percentage of affordable housing in many buildings and communities in New Jersey, and most of the time you wouldn't even notice. Affordable housing is for working people so that they don't get priced out of better areas. We should all root for affordable housing, at a percentage where it does not undercut the profitability of market-rate development. Smart people are working on this.

  4. #9424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Krayn View Post
    There is a difference between affordable housing and section 8.

    To my knowledge, Richardson Lofts, for instance, is affordable housing.

    I grew up in communities where several units were designated affordable housing units. Most of us kids did not know which units were affordable and which were not. That is actually the idea of affordable housing. There is a designated percentage of affordable housing in many buildings and communities in New Jersey, and most of the time you wouldn't even notice. Affordable housing is for working people so that they don't get priced out of better areas. We should all root for affordable housing, at a percentage where it does not undercut the profitability of market-rate development. Smart people are working on this.
    Sensible. Some of the last few comments on this forum have been disquieting.

  5. #9425
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Rails in North NJ
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Sometime over the next 2 weeks I will be doing a Massive Newark area update including..

    Downtown Montclair > Eagle Rock Reservation > West Orange > Orange > South Orange > Maplewood > Short Hills > Millburn < 14.9 miles (mostly downhill)
    Downtown Newark > The Ironbound > Harrison > East Newark < 10.8 miles
    Downtown Linden to Rahway < 4 miles
    Metuchen < 3 mile loop around Downtown

    Then my end of the month walk from Manasquan to Long Branch - 22 miles

    I will post so of my photos here... , SSC , reddit , Newark facebook pages

  6. #9426
    Forum Veteran West Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey City/Harrison, NJ
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Sometime over the next 2 weeks I will be doing a Massive Newark area update including..

    Downtown Montclair > Eagle Rock Reservation > West Orange > Orange > South Orange > Maplewood > Short Hills > Millburn < 14.9 miles (mostly downhill)
    Downtown Newark > The Ironbound > Harrison > East Newark < 10.8 miles
    Downtown Linden to Rahway < 4 miles
    Metuchen < 3 mile loop around Downtown

    Then my end of the month walk from Manasquan to Long Branch - 22 miles

    I will post so of my photos here... , SSC , reddit , Newark facebook pages
    Where's the love for New Bruns?

    I think there are at least 2-3 large developments underway there...plus I'm sure the new buildings at Hamilton/College Ave are just about complete now (I think they're supposed to open for business at the end of this month actually)

  7. #9427
    Forum Veteran West Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey City/Harrison, NJ
    Posts
    1,733

    Thumbs up Newark Riverfront Park - Add Your Voice!

    For all of the Newark residents and fans on here, if you could take a moment to complete the survey below, your voice can really help make a difference in how the rest of Riverfront Park turns out (Note: you do have to provide an email address at the end of the survey):

    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewarkRiverfrontPark

  8. #9428
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Rails in North NJ
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Where's the love for New Bruns?

    I think there are at least 2-3 large developments underway there...plus I'm sure the new buildings at Hamilton/College Ave are just about complete now (I think they're supposed to open for business at the end of this month actually)
    James on SSC covers New Brunswick pretty well...

    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1855457

  9. #9429
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    Depending on the rent affordable housing attracts the ghetto element. If affordable means much less than crazy NYC/Gold Coast but still way above Hud/Sec. 8 rents then fine. If not then you should be against it. Quality of life issues you know.

    Inclusionary zoning arguably works in Manhattan because nearly everything surrounding them caters to the mid-upper class. Downtown Newark doesn't and that's the problem. Move everything at the Broad/Market intersection to Irvington or nearby and gentrify so these people riding the bus from those areas won't have a reason to come downtown bringing in their ghettoism, scaring nearby hotel travelers at the Courtyard Marriott and Indigo.
    Exactly. Why won't Newark rebuild Springfield Avenue into a ratail corridor? On second thought, nevermind!!
    City Hall is,stuck in a suburban mentality. Building suburban boxes with parking lots, ruining 4 lane arteries with "traffic calming"
    Former Mayor James proudly stated Newark's streets could handle a population of 500,000.

    NO more!! Mt Prospect Avenue and Irvine Turner Boulevard, once proud wide Boulevards, have been reduced to one lane nightmares.
    This city Government is only interested in GOVERNMENT DEVELOPMENT (HUD).

    The annexation of Irvington would have come in handy....who cares! They can shop there anyway! In fact, Clinton Hill & Weequahic newark era shop there.

  10. #9430
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    You say "obviously", but the only solution I ever hear on this forum is to ship the poor people out of Newark and warehouse them in Irvington.
    Anyway, you have to have a little pride in the ones who do make it out of the old Seth Boyden and surroundings.



    Proud of this dude.
    I have no respect for that POS. Olympian or not! This ad DESTROYS Newark!!
    Where's the proof he grew up in those proyects?
    Why didn't they pick a "living" housing development?
    No, I'm not proud of him. He's a scumbag who betrayed his city. In fact,he probably grew up in Weequahic or Clinton hill!
    Regsrdless, the commercial destroys Newark & he agreed to it.
    He's part of the problem. One of those "I'm glad I got out of Newark" idiots.

  11. #9431
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    They've closed it to the public. Only the "connected" may apply. Lol.��
    Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    For all of the Newark residents and fans on here, if you could take a moment to complete the survey below, your voice can really help make a difference in how the rest of Riverfront Park turns out (Note: you do have to provide an email address at the end of the survey):

    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewarkRiverfrontPark

  12. #9432
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    They've closed it to the public. Only the "connected" may apply. Lol.��
    That is, the survey. They don't want to hear from us!

  13. #9433

    Default

    ^I went through the survey with no issues and it was open to any who would visit the park. You probably took too long and it closed (surveys do that).

    Sometimes there's no conspiracy or 'secret agendas'...sometimes things are just what they are. Your cynicism is becoming a tired act.

  14. #9434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    You say "obviously", but the only solution I ever hear on this forum is to ship the poor people out of Newark and warehouse them in Irvington.
    Anyway, you have to have a little pride in the ones who do make it out of the old Seth Boyden and surroundings.



    Proud of this dude.

    Proud of what?!?? That he escaped newark and never came back? If newark so wonderful why is everyone trying to get out? Why dont celebrities buy homes in newark!?! Because its largely a ghetto with very small pocket of areas that are nice due to corporations bringing middleclass people in and very good colleges. Buta few blocks away this nonsense is going on https://youtu.be/eD9l1BAmVz4


    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd7_1463800406
    https://youtu.be/A3jsUAyiVQo

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c22_1451689712 her blessing for never working a day in her life comes from the taxes we all pay
    Last edited by nignog; August 7th, 2016 at 09:29 PM.

  15. #9435

    Default

    nignog, I think you are exaggerating this a bit. Newark has a lot of tough areas, but the whole city is not a ghetto. I would say Newark is half economically deprived and the other half very well off, relatively speaking.

Similar Threads

  1. Greenways and Waterfront Development
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: July 21st, 2015, 01:30 AM
  2. NYC real estate values rose 9 percent
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
  3. Real Estate War Over the G.M. Building
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
  4. E 34th new development
    By tlowe in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 31st, 2003, 05:15 PM
  5. PC Wackos: WTC Plans Too Big for Real Estate Market
    By Agglomeration in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2002, 05:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software