Page 635 of 645 FirstFirst ... 135535585625631632633634635636637638639 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,525 of 9670

Thread: Newark Development

Hi gang and Happy New Year everyone! First, I admit that NJPAC (which tantalized me when it was first proposed at 44 floors--a REAL skyscraper, but Newark being Newark, saw it cut in half, literally, to an unexciting 22 floors) and Shaq Tower (if it is built or just going to sit there with a fence around it) proposed as another boring 22 floors) are better than nothing and at least filling in nothingness. But I wonder if all of the positive, residential building going on downtown (mostly in existing, empty buildings that will add nothing to the skyline) might in time evoke a real Renaissance and in time REAL skyscrapers. Specifically, the hideous stretch of Raymond Boulevard between Broad Street and Penn Station has no street level retail at all that I know of any is to be avoided to pedestrians. The buildings that are there are sterile and there is much open space between the buildings--no urban density! There is what I consider the world's ugliest bldg at the Southwest corner of Raymond and McCarter. I'm talking about a 4-story, gray Soviet-style hideosity So if Newark ever catches on, that stretch of Raymond would be prime for development, albeit, in my judgment, McCarter Hwy ruins everything. It is unsafe, pedestrian-unfriendly and slices downtown into two parts tho I know nothing can be done about that now. Secondly, has any thought ever been given by the City to extend Light Rail from Penn Sta to Ironbound, even if only a couple of stops? They could do it because they extended it to the underused, residential-free Broad Street extension. I know it would cost God knows what but the world has shown us, and every time, that transit stop brings in development and $$$$$. It would also serve to get people to and from Ironbound which is now cut off from the rest of the city by Penn Sta and Mc Carter. Any thoughts?

^I think it will because in the future Newark will have far more developments chained together which lends itself to a larger, more complete downtown. Before the Pru and Hahnes renovation all you had was an enormous wall of concrete and a huge parking lot, each taking up nearly an entire city block. Now that they're done (and mostly there) you have a damned decent street wall that stitches well with the park across the street.

Take this link for example (from njbiz):

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2017010...own-properties

Apparently they're making plans to turn an old building into loft-like office space. The property sits at 277 Halsey St, which is right in the shadow of the Teacher's Village neighborhood.

Now, whether or not there would've been interest in that property if Teacher's Village wasn't built is anyone's guess. But I'd surmise that there wouldn't have been ANY interest without Teacher's Village simply because the area was completely desolate before it.

The arena has had the same affect on its district. Although it's often the case that arenas are not worth the investment, I think in Newark it was desperately needed to kickstart development, draw people into the downtown and otherwise give the city some legitimacy.

Also, it appears that the PATH extension to Newark airport may be happening - $1.5b is included for it in the PA capital budget. Although I doubt it will happen, it really, really should have an intermediate stop around Lincoln Park.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/new...plan/96160050/

https://drive.google.com/viewerng/vi...pital-Plan.pdf

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/for...tation-village

Seth Boyden and anything sitting next to it on/off Frelinghuysen(abandoned properties, liquor stores, chicken shacks) needs to be wiped out for this to work. This "transit village" cannot be half-assed.

http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/news/e...partment-store

Above is a link for RU's plans for their Hahnes portion. A pic in the article offers a nice quick glimpse of the interior of the building.

(Thanks to Jorge CS on reddit for providing the link)

Default Newark Warehouse building to go to planning board

Newark Warehouse building to go to planning board

http://jerseydigs.com/the-newark-warehouse-110-edison-place-conversion/

Quote Originally Posted by milesq View Post
    Newark Warehouse building to go to planning board

http://jerseydigs.com/the-newark-warehouse-110-edison-place-conversion/
    Actually, the planning board approved it on December 19th.

Four-Story, 15-Unit Residential Redevelopment Planned at 40 East Park Street, Newark

40 East Park Street. Rendering by Comito Associates
    By: Reid Wilson 1:00 pm on January 6, 2017

An anonymous Passaic, N.J.-based LLC is planning to redevelop the vacant three-story townhouse at 40 East Park Street, located on the corner of Mulberry Street in Downtown Newark. The existing structure will be converted from office space and expanded horizontally along Mulberry street. The final product will rise four stories at its tallest point and contain 15 market-rate residential units. The apartments, including studios and one-bedrooms, should average 750 square feet apiece, Jersey Digs reported. Newark-based Comito Associates is the architect. The project is expected to be complete in late 2018.

Present-day 40 East Park Street. Image via Google Maps.

placenj.com

Newark, New Jersey:
    A massive new mixed-use development could be coming to several properties in Newark's Central Ward.

City records show that Claremont Properties, Inc., of Far Hills, Somerset County, is planning a new project with office, retail, collegiate space, parking, and potential other uses on 17 lots along Central Avenue, Dey Street, and Lock Street in University Heights. All of the lots are currently owned by the City of Newark and are used for a variety of purposes. While some, such as 37 Lock Street, are vacant tracts, other properties like 23 Lock Street contain faculty and staff parking lots for the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). Around the corner, a large building, a garage, and a parking lot used by the Newark Department of Water and Sewer Utilities' divisions of water supply and sewers occupy the premises.

The Newark Department of Economic and Housing Development is proposing that the properties, which "are no longer needed for public use", be sold to Claremont for the negotiated price of $2.794 million. The Newark Municipal Council will vote on the proposal during its meeting tomorrow at City Hall at 10:00am.

This announcement comes at a time of increasing development in University Heights, with several new projects rising along nearby Sussex Avenue. The site is directly across the street from University Centre, and is just yards away from the NJIT campus. A few blocks away, developers are seeking a new retail building or fast food restaurant. Plus, Netta Architects posted renderings last year of a potential development in conjunction with the Newark Housing Authority at the corner of Central Avenue and Lock Street.

Claremont was the contractor for projects like Third and Valley in South Orange and the Baxter Park apartments in the Central Ward. In addition, 832 Broad Street, LLC, the new owner of the former Central Railroad of New Jersey's Lafayette Street Terminal building in Downtown is registered out of the same Far Hills address as Claremont.

^ ^ I'm loving these infill projects.

Default Berger Buys Another Newark Office Tower

I believe this is the second or third office building they've purchased in downtown Newark since the recession.

Downtown Newark office tower sold

By Mario Marroquin, January 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM

33 Washington St., Newark. - (HOLLIDAY FENOGLIO FOWLER L.P.)

Holliday Fenoglio Fowler L.P. announced Thursday the sale of the 33 Washington St. tower in downtown Newark.

The 450,000-square-foot property was marketed by HFF on behalf of a subsidiary of Starwood Property Trust Inc., LNR Property, and purchased by the Berger Organization.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 18-story tower sits on 1.6 acres in Newark, a half-mile from Newark Penn Station.

Additionally, the tower is less than five miles from several major highways, including interstates 280 and 78, Route 1, the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

The HFF investment sales team representing the seller included Senior Managing Director Jose Cruz, Managing Director Kevin O’Hearn and Directors Stephen Simonelli and Michael Oliver.

Starwood Property Trust Inc., is an affiliate of Starwood Capital Group. HFF is part of HFF Inc.

Link: http://www.njbiz.com/article/2017011...ice-tower-sold

Default What a miserable waste...

Anger over decision to cut station for Newark's South Ward from PATH plan

Steven Plate, Port Authority Chief of Major Projects and Clarelle DeGraffe, PATH Deputy Director, testify at a legislative hearing about the Port Authority's $32 billion capital plan on Tuesday. (Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on January 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Port Authority officials said Tuesday that Newark will not get a station in the city's South Ward as part of a $1.7 billion project to extend a PATH rail line to Newark Airport.

The revelation left several lawmakers, including one who represents Essex County, questioning if they could support the project.

"The plan presented left us under the impression there would be an additional stop that would bring critical economic development to an area that needs it," said State Senator M. Theresa Ruiz, D-Essex. "I don't know how I feel about this project now."

Now, the proposed PATH extension would only have one stop, at Newark Liberty airport, Steven P. Plate, Port Authority chief of major projects, said at a Joint Legislative Oversight Committee in Trenton about the Port Authority's $32 billion revised capital plan.

State Senator M. Theresa Ruiz, D-Essex, listens to testimony from Port Authority officials.
    Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Newark officials, including community leaders, were briefed in the summer that the station would not be included in the initial rail line extension because it would be too expensive to build and would require buying property and relocating McCarter Highway/ Route 21, said Clarelle DeGraffe, PATH deputy director.

One of the selling points for the PATH extension was to bring economic opportunity by opening up access to jobs at the airport to South Ward residents, said State Senator Robert Gordon, D-Bergen, the committee co-chairman.

"It shouldn't just be a convenient route to the airport for Wall Street investment bankers," said Gordon, who called on Port Authority commissioners to put off a February vote on the capital plan.

However, State Senator Thomas Kean Jr. defended the project, saying that it provided needed transportation and would eliminate choke points. That point was echoed by Janna Chernetz, New Jersey policy director for the Tri-State Transportation Campaign.

Newark officials had lobbied for the airport extension, when the project was in danger of being cut, based on its economic development potential for the Dayton/Seth Boyden community in the South Ward.

Ruiz expressed frustration and disappointment that the station was not part of the plan.

"It would be a benefit for New Jersey residents if there were a South Ward stop," she said. "I'm frustrated that there was a more comprehensive plan in place and it fell off the radar."

However, a South Ward station could be built at a later time, especially as PATH ridership increases, DeGraffe said.

Questions about ridership for the PATH extension had been raised by Port Authority Commissioner Kenneth Lipper when the revised capital plan was introduced on Jan. 5. The authority's board is scheduled to vote on the plan next month after two public hearings are held.

The proposed PATH route would parallel NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor line, which also offers service to the airport.

"All we have is a line from Wall Street to Newark Airport," said State Senator Loretta Weinberg, D-Bergen. "Where will it get ridership from?"

----------------------------------------------------------------
    taken from nj.com:

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...art_river_home

IMO, without the station it defeats the usefulness of the entire thing. If the station in the South Ward would be too expensive then why even bother building anything on that line at all? There's already a train line to the airport (who cares if it isn't one-seat?). I'm sure there are other projects that could use the funds and aren't redundant.

They should've let the PANYNJ sh*t-can the project from the get-go.
    Last edited by 66nexus; January 17th, 2017 at 04:12 PM.

Waste of time. Should have just built an extension at Penn Station, create a monorail from there to the terminals using the current airtrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    Waste of time. Should have just built an extension at Penn Station, create a monorail from there to the terminals using the current airtrain.
    I hate to bring this up because I'm not a fan of the idea, but the Airtrain is on its way out as it is too expensive to maintain. And while I agree that a South Ward station should be part of the plan, I don't think they should scrap the entire thing if one isn't initially included...with the rates at which Hudson County and downtown Newark/the Ironbound are growing, we need the PATH extension to help ensure that roads don't become parking lots clogged with traffic during peak hours.