Page 648 of 666 FirstFirst ... 148548598638644645646647648649650651652658 ... LastLast
Results 9,706 to 9,720 of 9986

Thread: Newark Development

Thumbs up Tower Crane Going Up at Shaq Tower Site

I saw yesterday that a tower crane base has been installed at the One Riverview site, so I'd expect to see the crane going up very soon - maybe even this week.

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    I have to agree that NJIT's architecture is awful. Many of their buildings are just plain ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    NO! ENOUGH OF THESE COLLEGES WASTING VALUABLE REAL ESTATE!

What happened to Science Park? The Norfolk Street City Subway (NLR) station is RIGHT THERE!
    There should be dense medium & high rises there FILLING CITY COFFERS, not more tax exempt land to further strain Newarkers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Im also opposed to demolishing Warren street school! Such beautiful architecture to be
    replaced with NJIT buildings...the UGLIEST designs are in the NJIT design ...and that awfull exclusive superblock.
    I tend to agree. I did however, see an article (I have to find it) stating that many residential buildings were going up in that area. If the college is expanding that could give the area a nice point of critical mass. You'd have the college area spilling into nice residential areas. And, HOPEFULLY, some of these kids will stick around after they're done. It probably wouldn't be a whole lot at all, but some is better than none.

Default After 10 years, is it really to be so??

Newark, Devils start work on long-awaited, $10M downtown park

Posted on October 3, 2017 at 8:10 AM

Gallery: Newark breaks ground on Mulberry Commons park
    By Steve Strunsky
    sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com,
    NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEWARK -- After more than a decade of conceptualizing, negotiating, planning and design work, a new $10 million park intended to unify disparate locations in downtown Newark finally had a groundbreaking Monday.

Officials say the 3-acre Mulberry Commons park on Mulberry Street, and across from the Prudential Center arena, will provide a focal point and public gathering space for an underdeveloped section of the downtown just northwest of Newark Penn Station.

The park, designed by Sage and Coombe Architects, will include landscaped and tree-shaded lawns, walkways and seating, plantings, a pavilion and a fountain for children and families to enjoy.

It is envisioned as the centerpiece of a new community of residences and businesses that will generate more than 5,000 jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars in investment, city officials have said.

Once known as Triangle Park, the land is being developed in a public-private partnership that includes the City of Newark, the Devils NHL hockey team, Prudential Center arena, developers J&L Companies and Edison Properties, which also operates the ParkFast parking lots that occupy much of the neighborhood's still-undeveloped property.

Officials hope to build a pedestrian bridge from Penn Station to the park, a separate project estimated to cost $30 million that the park's development is not dependent on.

A groundbreaking for the park had been anticipated for at least as far back as Spring 2016. But Mayor Ras Baraka and other officials said finalizing details among the project's multiple participants had pushed back the start date, making Monday's event all the more welcome.

Swinging a sledgehammer to launch warehouse project

Mayor Ras Baraka joined developers from Edison Properties on Tuesday to kick off the Ironside Newark commercial and retail project

"Look, man, 10 years of fussing and not doing anything, I was frustrated myself," Baraka said after the event, when he and a dozen city officials and business leaders donned hard hats and shoveled a ceremonial mound of dirt. "When there are so many parties, you're always going to get that."

The ceremony was hosted by Carmelo Garcia, a former state assemblyman who had been director of real estate for the Newark Economic and Community Development Corporation. Garcia, who now serves as acting deputy mayor for economic development, said the park would be completed by Oct. 1, 2018.

The groundbreaking was attended by Devils President Hugh Weber, who told a crowd of more then 100 onlookers, "we look forward to many, many years and generations enjoying the space."

Edison Properties Chief Operating Officer Ben Feigenbaum said the park would serve as a "conduit" between Penn Station and the arena, and would spur development of the surrounding neighborhood south of Mulberry Street and west of Market, where Edison Properties is now investing $80 million to redevelop a 1907 warehouse into a business center.
    One of the park's biggest proponents was Edison Properties co-founder Jerome Gottesman, a well-known developer and philanthropist, who died last month.

"For decades, courting and keeping businesses in Newark was an uphill battle due to the city's perceived shortcomings," Gottesman wrote in an op-ed published on NJ.com in April. "Today, we count ourselves amongst a growing group making huge investments based on a firm belief in Newark's future.

-------------------------------------

from nj.com

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2017/10/newark_breaks_ground_on_long-awaited_downtown_park.html

any news on the 26-story hotel proposed at Military Park?

Default Saw this on reddit, good news and all, but I thought it was already a done deal?

N.J. Bell Building in Newark to Be Redeveloped for Housing

L+M Development Partners and Prudential Financial Inc. lead effort to convert it into a mixed-use tower

By Keiko Morris

Updated Oct. 17, 2017 8:03 p.m. ET

Investors who redeveloped and leased a historic Newark department-store site have secured more than $100 million in financing to revive another city landmark.

Rendering of a revamped New Jersey Bell building in Newark. PHOTO: INGLESE ARCHITECTURE + ENGINEERING

L+M Development Partners Inc. andPrudential Financial Inc.have closed on funding that will allow the venture to convert the old New Jersey Bell headquarters building at 540 Broad St. into a mixed-use tower with 263 market-rate and affordable apartments as well as office and retail space.

The partners are hoping to continue the city’s development momentum, which has brought residents to its downtown, revitalized parks and spurred plans for more office and retail space.

State and city leaders are pitching Newark, along with up to $7 billion in tax incentives, to Amazon.com Inc. as the tech giant conducts a countrywide search for a second headquarters location.

Part of the venture’s mission is to revitalize Newark’s downtown as a round-the-clock neighborhood, injecting a residential element, said Ommeed Sathe, vice president and head of impact investments at Prudential.

“We wanted to be fuel for that momentum,” said Jonathan Cortell, vice president of development at L+M Development Partners. “This is a great city that has long been overlooked and has such great infrastructure.”

Citi Community Capital is providing a $71 million construction loan and will provide $14 million in funding through historic tax credits. Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group is providing $13.5 million in funding through various tax-credit programs.

The venture and its financing partners are no strangers to complex historic redevelopment projects. L+M, Prudential and Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group teamed up to redevelop the Hahne & Co. building, where Rutgers University, Whole Foods Market and a bookstore operated by Barnes & Noble Education Inc. are tenants. The project included 160 apartments, 40% of which are designated affordable. Marketing began last winter, and those apartments were quickly leased, Mr. Cortell said.

“There is strong continued demand on the residential side,” Mr. Sathe said. “And you are starting to see projects in surrounding municipalities start to advertise the proximity to Newark. It’s a great sign of where we think the city is heading.”

The 1929 art deco Bell building, purchased last year from Verizon Communications Inc., was designed by architect Ralph Walker of Voorhees, Gmelin & Walker, a firm known for designing buildings for the Bell companies, according to federal documents. Rising 20 stories, the building’s facade features massive sandstone figure reliefs representing telephone company workers, such as a lineman, operator and a repairman.

When the building is converted, 20% of the apartments will be affordable at levels up to 50% of the area’s median income. The building will feature apartments ranging from studios to three-bedroom units, a fitness center, ground-floor retail and about 80,000 square feet of office space.

The venture will replace the windows and remove a stairwell from the east side of the building, which has views of the New York skyline, and is considering a corporate auditorium space for options such as a community theater, Mr. Cortell said.

The project “represents a commitment to jobs, development, and to bring quality housing and economic growth to our downtown,” Newark Mayor Ras Baraka said.

----------------------------------------

from wsj:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/n-j-bell-building-in-newark-to-be-redeveloped-for-housing-1508278697

Last edited by 66nexus; October 18th, 2017 at 08:53 AM.

I guess the financing's a done deal now.

Maybe with this new housing going up the NCS(light rail) extension wouldn't be a total waste now. Now only if they extend it to the arena...

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    I guess the financing's a done deal now.

Maybe with this new housing going up the NCS(light rail) extension wouldn't be a total waste now. Now only if they extend it to the arena...
    This is true. With residential popping up along that line Rector/NJPac etc., ridership is sure to increase. It'd be nice to see if Newark had a downtown loop. It could swing from the NCS extension, over to the arena like you mention -> up towards City Hall/Teacher's Village -> pass by Halsey St. -> up over to Springfield Marketplace -> and then cut through University Heights and continuing through until hitting Broad St. station again.

Maybe not now, but in 10 years or so I could see that as downtown fills up, especially if SOMA and the Bears stadium footprint get built out.

Default Light Rail

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    This is true. With residential popping up along that line Rector/NJPac etc., ridership is sure to increase. It'd be nice to see if Newark had a downtown loop. It could swing from the NCS extension, over to the arena like you mention -> up towards City Hall/Teacher's Village -> pass by Halsey St. -> up over to Springfield Marketplace -> and then cut through University Heights and continuing through until hitting Broad St. station again.

Maybe not now, but in 10 years or so I could see that as downtown fills up, especially if SOMA and the Bears stadium footprint get built out.
    I think it would be better elevated and extending up to first and orange but as I understand the little they did was rather costly.

Quote Originally Posted by newarkdevil1 View Post
    I think it would be better elevated and extending up to first and orange but as I understand the little they did was rather costly.
    I'd take that for sure. I just wish the downtown extension was more 'complete'.

Tower crane went up at Rector St this morning. Good to see that site finally moving forward. If only we could see a rendering of what's planned now that tore down what was supposed to be the old façade.

I'm personally hoping that they extend the "new" part of the base shown in previous renderings all the way around. Newark has enough cookie cutter red brick buildings and could use some more color variety and more modern architecture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OneRiverview2.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	18369  

I did a tour on google maps of downtown, MLK and a few other familiar areas and am appalled at how much of Newark real estate is still abandoned, boarded up or decrepit. I was especially horrified at the areas south of Market between Washington and Broad and south to Rt. 21 ramp. So many empty lots and just slummy housing even tho bright spots such as Teachers Village and 90 Nevada. So much emptiness just south of downtown. I thought Newark has come a long way, and see its resurgence on this web site, but am saddened to see all the neglect still hanging around and falling apart. Even the rendition for Mulberry Commons shows it surrounded by a "sea" of hideous surface parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    I did a tour on google maps of downtown, MLK and a few other familiar areas and am appalled at how much of Newark real estate is still abandoned, boarded up or decrepit. I was especially horrified at the areas south of Market between Washington and Broad and south to Rt. 21 ramp. So many empty lots and just slummy housing even tho bright spots such as Teachers Village and 90 Nevada. So much emptiness just south of downtown. I thought Newark has come a long way, and see its resurgence on this web site, but am saddened to see all the neglect still hanging around and falling apart. Even the rendition for Mulberry Commons shows it surrounded by a "sea" of hideous surface parking lots.
    Other than a couple of developments in those areas (as you mention) nothing has really been developed there so, no offense, but what were you expecting to find?

The traditional downtown development footprint is well underway, but let's not kid ourselves here: there is way more than enough blight to go around.

The neglect is certainly an eyesore, but I look to the past as to what to expect in the future. What do I mean? Look back 10 years, what did the city have? The Pru and 1180, and that's pretty much it. Rock Plaza didn't even exist. Hahnes? Nah. The Mulberry Commons rendering may be surrounded by parking lots, but until they finally put shovels in the ground a few weeks back, all it was was a parking lot (and before that the Graphic Arts building just sat). Of course we want them to build and build (I know I do), but it's a process and, in Newark's case, a long one. The pieces have to come together, and they will. You've already seen it happen, you just have to realize that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by milesq View Post
    Tower crane went up at Rector St this morning. Good to see that site finally moving forward. If only we could see a rendering of what's planned now that tore down what was supposed to be the old façade.
    Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I'm personally hoping that they extend the "new" part of the base shown in previous renderings all the way around. Newark has enough cookie cutter red brick buildings and could use some more color variety and more modern architecture.

It's about time .