Page 654 of 666 FirstFirst ... 154554604644650651652653654655656657658664 ... LastLast
Results 9,796 to 9,810 of 9988

Thread: Newark Development

I think it will break ground in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Not for a long time. It's nowhere near NYC/JC-bound transit, and there's really nothing else in that neighborhood except a small handful of bars/restaurants and Prudential Center (which really means nothing to residents who aren't hockey fanatics). My guess is that the current owner sells the land to another developer within the next five years.
    Newark City Subway is less than 6 short crossblocks north. Newark Penn is 4 length blocks.
    The website is up & running with cool 1st person perapective & a birds eye as well.

https://vibenewark.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...!4d-74.1750425

I guess the site would be where the building on the right is located. Oh and the new building can have its own shuttle.

EXCLUSIVE: Developers Seek to Construct Newark’s Tallest Building

By
    Jared Kofsky -

March 7, 20180

Broad Street, Newark. Photo via Wikimedia Commons.

For the last several decades, the skyline of Downtown Newark has largely been the same. Despite a recent increase in development in the heart of New Jersey’s largest city, the National Newark Building has retained its position as the tallest building in Newark, a title it has held since it was completed 87 years ago. However, Jersey Digs has learned that two developers are in the preliminary stages of a proposal to construct a new high-rise tower within a stone’s throw of the National Newark Building that would be the highest in Essex County if approved.

Although a source who spoke under the condition of anonymity was unable to release the exact address where this new 42-story building is being proposed, they confirmed that it would be on Broad Street in the middle of Newark’s Central Business District near the Four Corners, Prudential’s headquarters, and Military Park. It is set to contain 9,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor with 480 residential units on the upper floors. In addition, a rooftop amenity space would be provided for residents of the high-rise.

Carmelo Garcia, Newark’s Acting Deputy Mayor for Economic and Housing Development, said that 20 percent of the units in the development would be designated as “affordable housing” if the project is given approval by the Newark Central Planning Board. He described this building as an “anchor catalytic project” for the city that has been in the works for over a year.

“It will compliment (sic) the skyline of our city and really add value to what we’re attracting downtown and around the city,” Garcia explained, adding that “we’re thrilled that in working with them [the developers], they’ve embedded the 20 percent affordability requirement and that they’ve provided a design that really mirrors the strategy of the redevelopment that we’ve been looking for in Newark.”

Jersey Digs will keep you updated as additional information, including renderings and the exact address, are revealed for this proposal.

-----------------------------------------

https://jerseydigs.com/exclusive-developers-propose-tallest-building-newark/

My guess (or at least what I'm hoping to hear) is a new proposal for the Kislak building site at the corner of Broad Street & Central Avenue. It seems like all the new major development has been concentrated around the corridor from the Military Park area to Broad Street station, and this would fit right in there. It would fit along the lines of how redevelopment has worked in places like Jersey City (look at Washington Blvd and Columbus Drive); you need to solidify a neighborhood before redevelopment can branch out, and that stretch from Military Park to Broad Street station are starting to create that neighborhood (with NJPAC tower, Whole Foods, Hahne's, Shaq, and the Verizon Building). Replace the Kislak and neighboring buildings with a 42-story highrise and downtown Newark's well on its way to having a mature, bustling neighborhood with an atmosphere.
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 7th, 2018 at 07:03 PM.

The only spots I know of that's available on Broad Street besides Kislak are the space between Prudential and Starbucks(which might be set aside for an additional Prudential building), Broad/Orange Sts across from the Rutgers Business School/Audible/Cablevision(too far from the Nat'l Newark building and Four Corners) and all the way down by Hill Street where Santander is. The Kinney building and the mid-rise across from it on Broad & Market would have to be torn down and rebuilt when it'd be easier to renovate(they don't look too terrible of shape).

does anyone really believe that this will happen? Note that this is a "preliminary proposal"...and IF approved. I don't want to be negative but keep in mind that 1 Theater Square was proposed to be 44 floors but was cut in half to 22 floors; that Riverfront Stadium was touted to have two 60-story buildings that have now been ridiculously reduced to 10-11 floors; that Shaq was proposed at 26 floors but onl slightly reduced to 23. Also, I had hoped when I read about Prudential building housing downtown that we would finally get some thing big---now it's going to be only 8floors. Finally, a 26-story hotel was proposed for Military Park but that's all it turned out to be--a proposal. If the Gateway Tower (30 floors) was the last true highrise, then Newark hasn't seen a new skyscraper for more than ha
    lf century. Sure hope my pessimism proves wrong.

I don't see it happening for several, several years

Even though they give a narrowed down area for that development, it's still vague as far as location. Agreed that other than the Kislak footprint I have no idea where they'd put something that size.

As development picks up perhaps start dates won't be so far off. You're definitely starting to see an actual residential neighborhood and that's certainly a selling point. When 1180 was first redeveloped it was an island. There's a full on residential district growing up around it now.

Default About time there's real plans for this thing

225 Units Could Come to Newark High-Rise

By
    Jared Kofsky -

March 8, 2018

155 Washington Street, Newark. Photo via Google Maps/Street View.

Over the last few years, Rutgers University-Newark has been expanding its presence within the city’s downtown. From the Express Newark space at the Hahne & Company development to the upcoming Honors Living-Learning Community along the Halsey Street corridor and to the rehabilitation of 15 Washington Street, there are now more signs of the institution within the Newark Central Business District. Now, several major changes are planned for properties owned by the university near the Rutgers Law School.

On Monday, March 12, the Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to conduct a special public hearing regarding 155 Washington Street Urban Renewal, LLC’s proposal for the adaptive reuse of one of the Central Ward’s tallest buildings. A legal notice from the City of Newark confirms that a developer is seeking to turn the 18-story Rutgers-owned structure at 155 Washington Street, between Warren and Linden Streets, into a mixed-use development. If approved, the proposal would allow the 208-foot building to be rehabilitated and converted into around 225 residential units, retail space, and 4,000 square feet of “institutional uses.”

155 Washington Street dates back to 1930, according toEmporis. Currently, the building is largely vacant and is attached to a two-story building at the corner of Washington and Warren Streets. The street-level portion of the structure was most recently occupied by Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan New Jersey and the Washington Corners Legal Center.

However, the plans for the adaptive reuse of the existing building are not the only part of this proposal. The legal notice states that the developer is also planning to construct a four-story residential building on the surrounding property. The new development would include 29 units if approved and parking would be provided on the premises.

In addition, all of the tracts related to the proposal, including 141-149, 151-153, 155, and 157-159 Washington Street along with 24-26 Warren Place could be designated as areas in need of redevelopment by the Newark Municipal Council in the near future.

155 Washington Street Urban Renewal, LLC is seeking Preliminary and Final Site Plan approval in connection with the application for both buildings. The Newark Central Planning Board’s meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.

--------------------------------------

https://jerseydigs.com/225-units-proposed-155-washington-street-high-rise-newark/

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    Even though they give a narrowed down area for that development, it's still vague as far as location. Agreed that other than the Kislak footprint I have no idea where they'd put something that size.

As development picks up perhaps start dates won't be so far off. You're definitely starting to see an actual residential neighborhood and that's certainly a selling point. When 1180 was first redeveloped it was an island. There's a full on residential district growing up around it now.
    Perhaps between Academy street & Raymond Blvd. Nothing but a ground floor retail box. With a Payless Shoes, Dollar store & an ex NY&co. (Aka
    Lerner shops) Now some cheap clothing retail.

IT'S also the site of a proposed Burlington store. But it's just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Perhaps between Academy street & Raymond Blvd. Nothing but a ground floor retail box. With a Payless Shoes, Dollar store & an ex NY&co. (Aka
    Lerner shops) Now some cheap clothing retail.

IT'S also the site of a proposed Burlington store. But it's just my guess.
    That's a good spot for a high rise for density, but I did like the proposal for a Burlington and/or Men's Warehouse.

Default They're continuing to clean up the buildings west of Rock Plaza

See the nice windows and clean facades?

Default Small theater district update

The images were much crisper but they were HUGE, wanted to compress to make them manageable.

There is demo work going on at the Kislak building

Saw forklift with dumpster going in and out as I went to whole foods at lunch time