Page 661 of 661 FirstFirst ... 161561611651657658659660661
Results 9,901 to 9,909 of 9909

Thread: Newark Development

has the Rutgers Honors-Living Center been finished?...begun??

Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    has the Rutgers Honors-Living Center been finished?...begun??
    Under Construction, it's about 2 stories up.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    Riverfront Square's website (as the area is being called) does show two proposed tall structures - here's hoping!

It just got downsized!!
    As of the week ending 12/15/18, the riverfront Sq website has altered the rendering & ELIMINATED THE TWO SKYSCRAPERS!!
    Before...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225607_Google.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	18505 and TODAY!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225533_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	18506

Very disappointing.
    Newark will never see a supertall.
    1180 will never be topped.
    More typical 12 story stubs.
    Not only that, to add insult to injury, the cookie cutter residential low rises now have an ugly checkerboard facade to save to reduce windows & cut costs.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; December 16th, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

Whoa...hold everything!

The fact that they're not showing anything in place of the taller structures suggests that this image is just showing the first few phases of the neighborhood. So there's still plenty of hope.

But let's face it...development is slowing down in our region, across the board. If you look at downtown Jersey City, there have been close to zero new proposed mid- to high- rise buildings in at least two years. Compare that to back in 2011, when there were 2-3 new massive buildings proposed every month. Quite a different world today. The full pipeline of proposals that we saw back then is now just a trickle...and this is impacting Newark and other markets in the region. The list of projects on hold is growing very quickly.

And besides that, I said this before and I'll say it again...the ambition with which this project was assembled reminds me of the NJPAC proposal before the Great Recession. That was touted as a 44-story game-changer of a tower, but took about a decade to actually break ground and wound up half the original proposed size. From that I've learned to take proposals for Newark with a grain of salt; we can expect anything that looks ambitious for the city to be downsized and value-engineered to the extreme.

As far as I'm aware, not even preliminary demolition has started at the Bears stadium site yet, so it will be several years before anything new gets built there.
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 16th, 2018 at 01:32 PM.

I originally thought it was just a depiction of a phase until I noticed that they had altered the facade of the 4 or so low rise residential buildings.
    The 30 story triangular Tower was part of that middle phase in red. Now it's deleted.

I guess we shall see.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; December 16th, 2018 at 11:00 PM.

^I'm not 100% sure but I think those tall towers were based on Amazon 'possibly' picking Newark as their HQ (even the timing lines up since you said they just recently changed the renders).

I kind of like the checkered look but it might look better in the renderings than actuality. Newark honestly does need A LOT of bottom/street-level fill out but tall(er) buildings would still be nice. The more street level build-out the more there can be a justification for taller buildings.

And rest your fears! 1180 has already been surpassed as Newark's tallest...by 744 Broad st. in the '30s .

LOL������I've always considered those 2 towers the same height. Except 4 the radio jazz fm 88 stick/ flag pole.

The City decided to show some appreciation to IDT for moving here 20 years ago. They put up a sign at Bridge and Atlantic naming it IDT Way.
    The put the wrong IDT company name on it, they named it after the CA semiconductor company LMAO!!!
    I will try and get a picture later