Page 661 of 666 FirstFirst ... 161561611651657658659660661662663664665 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,915 of 9976

Thread: Newark Development

  1. #9901

    Default

    has the Rutgers Honors-Living Center been finished?...begun??

  2. #9902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coralridge View Post
    has the Rutgers Honors-Living Center been finished?...begun??
    Under Construction, it's about 2 stories up.

  3. #9903

  4. #9904
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    Riverfront Square's website (as the area is being called) does show two proposed tall structures - here's hoping!

    It just got downsized!!
    As of the week ending 12/15/18, the riverfront Sq website has altered the rendering & ELIMINATED THE TWO SKYSCRAPERS!!
    Before...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225607_Google.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	18505 and TODAY!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225533_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	18506

    Very disappointing.
    Newark will never see a supertall.
    1180 will never be topped.
    More typical 12 story stubs.
    Not only that, to add insult to injury, the cookie cutter residential low rises now have an ugly checkerboard facade to save to reduce windows & cut costs.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; December 15th, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

  5. #9905
    Forum Veteran West Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey City/Harrison, NJ
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Whoa...hold everything!

    The fact that they're not showing anything in place of the taller structures suggests that this image is just showing the first few phases of the neighborhood. So there's still plenty of hope.

    But let's face it...development is slowing down in our region, across the board. If you look at downtown Jersey City, there have been close to zero new proposed mid- to high- rise buildings in at least two years. Compare that to back in 2011, when there were 2-3 new massive buildings proposed every month. Quite a different world today. The full pipeline of proposals that we saw back then is now just a trickle...and this is impacting Newark and other markets in the region. The list of projects on hold is growing very quickly.

    And besides that, I said this before and I'll say it again...the ambition with which this project was assembled reminds me of the NJPAC proposal before the Great Recession. That was touted as a 44-story game-changer of a tower, but took about a decade to actually break ground and wound up half the original proposed size. From that I've learned to take proposals for Newark with a grain of salt; we can expect anything that looks ambitious for the city to be downsized and value-engineered to the extreme.

    As far as I'm aware, not even preliminary demolition has started at the Bears stadium site yet, so it will be several years before anything new gets built there.
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 16th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

  6. #9906
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    I originally thought it was just a depiction of a phase until I noticed that they had altered the facade of the 4 or so low rise residential buildings.
    The 30 story triangular Tower was part of that middle phase in red. Now it's deleted.

    I guess we shall see.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; December 16th, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

  7. #9907

    Default

    ^I'm not 100% sure but I think those tall towers were based on Amazon 'possibly' picking Newark as their HQ (even the timing lines up since you said they just recently changed the renders).

    I kind of like the checkered look but it might look better in the renderings than actuality. Newark honestly does need A LOT of bottom/street-level fill out but tall(er) buildings would still be nice. The more street level build-out the more there can be a justification for taller buildings.

    And rest your fears! 1180 has already been surpassed as Newark's tallest...by 744 Broad st. in the '30s .

  8. #9908
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    LOL������I've always considered those 2 towers the same height. Except 4 the radio jazz fm 88 stick/ flag pole.

  9. #9909

    Default

    The City decided to show some appreciation to IDT for moving here 20 years ago. They put up a sign at Bridge and Atlantic naming it IDT Way.
    The put the wrong IDT company name on it, they named it after the CA semiconductor company LMAO!!!
    I will try and get a picture later

  10. #9910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taxmanic View Post
    The City decided to show some appreciation to IDT for moving here 20 years ago. They put up a sign at Bridge and Atlantic naming it IDT Way.
    The put the wrong IDT company name on it, they named it after the CA semiconductor company LMAO!!!
    I will try and get a picture later
    You've got to be kidding me! They had one job!

  11. #9911

    Default

    IDT in Newark used to stand for International Discount Telecommunications
    IDT in San Jose is Integrated Device Technology. I guess the dedication was for them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrongIDT.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	18507

  12. #9912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    IDT in Newark used to stand for International Discount Telecommunications
    IDT in San Jose is Integrated Device Technology. I guess the dedication was for them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrongIDT.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	18507
    Somebody's getting fired!

    https://youtu.be/4VEslMQssi0

  13. #9913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    It just got downsized!!
    As of the week ending 12/15/18, the riverfront Sq website has altered the rendering & ELIMINATED THE TWO SKYSCRAPERS!!
    Before...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225607_Google.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	18505 and TODAY!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-225533_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	18506

    Very disappointing.
    Newark will never see a supertall.
    1180 will never be topped.
    More typical 12 story stubs.
    Not only that, to add insult to injury, the cookie cutter residential low rises now have an ugly checkerboard facade to save to reduce windows & cut costs.
    Looks like these towers are still a GO! Jersey Digs today reports that the towers will be Phase 5 & Phase 7 of the overall project.
    https://jerseydigs.com/riverfront-sq...SSXAtF1Qa_XjDs

  14. #9914
    Forum Veteran West Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey City/Harrison, NJ
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    "The developer was expected to submit plans and apply for demolition permits for the stadium towards the end of 2018. Demolition is expected to be completed within one year after the permits are issued. Meanwhile, Phase 1 construction is expected to begin within four months after the footing and foundation permits are issued. It is slated to be completed no longer than three years later."

    So we're looking at maybe a mid-2020 start for construction. But maybe those taller buildings won't be up until around 2030...

  15. #9915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    "The developer was expected to submit plans and apply for demolition permits for the stadium towards the end of 2018. Demolition is expected to be completed within one year after the permits are issued. Meanwhile, Phase 1 construction is expected to begin within four months after the footing and foundation permits are issued. It is slated to be completed no longer than three years later."

    So we're looking at maybe a mid-2020 start for construction. But maybe those taller buildings won't be up until around 2030...
    Too long from now!

Similar Threads

  1. Greenways and Waterfront Development
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: July 21st, 2015, 01:30 AM
  2. NYC real estate values rose 9 percent
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
  3. Real Estate War Over the G.M. Building
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
  4. E 34th new development
    By tlowe in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 31st, 2003, 05:15 PM
  5. PC Wackos: WTC Plans Too Big for Real Estate Market
    By Agglomeration in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2002, 05:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software