Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 170 Amsterdam Avenue

Forum Veteran

Well... that was unexpected.

Wow. That's nice. I hope that the bracing is metal, like a Foster tower, and not concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Wow. That's nice. I hope that the bracing is metal, like a Foster tower, and not concrete.
    Unless you're betting money with me specifically, this is not a bet I'd make. It appears very much to be the shape of the poured concrete so far. I think this will be pretty nifty either way.

I agree, that is most likely form-work poured concrete columns; I wan't in on that bet.....

I'm beyond thrilled for this as you can tell from Curbed's excerpt - for new development on the UWS, this kind of architecture is totally unprecedented. The potential is definitely there for a monstrosity, but I think the upside is worth it... construction photos after the jump. They're building it in an atypical manner as well, as it's obvious only one-third or so of the tower is up at the moment, while the rest of the site remains a concrete basin.

170 Amsterdam Avenue September 2013 Update - New York YIMBY

What's "this kind?" I mean, post modern? Crooked/squiggly/asymmetric? Good? Just curious, since, while I am thoroughly intrigued by this building, I'm not clear why the UWS should draw any particular architectural ire. To whit, nothing has attracted quite the starchitecture of the Highline/Chelsea, but UWS isn't wildly behind any other neighborhood in the city.

'This kind' = forward thinking, new, inspiring, different, yet still aesthetically coherent & nice to look at.

Don't get me wrong - most of the new projects on the UWS are just fine. The Laureate, Glenwood's 160 W 62nd, the Riverside South towers. But none of them are unique or special; they are fairly boring, contextual-minded developments that are perfectly decent, but not exciting. 170 Amsterdam has the potential to be distinguished; whether it actually is or not remains to be seen.

Default 22 Sep 2013

I think that concrete bracing might turn out looking like mierda.

Default 2 November 2013

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

So far I like it.

Default 4 Jan 2014

Meet The Exoskeleton-Clad Tower Coming To Amsterdam Ave.

by Hana R. Alberts

That 20-story tower rising at Amsterdam and 68th Street? Upper West Siders better brace themselves, because it's going to look pretty zany. Eagle-eyed New York YIMBY first spotted some new renders over at Handel Architects' official site, and they reveal more details about the exoskeletal facade going up at 170 Amsterdam. YIMBY calls it "dynamic cross-bracing" in praise, but what say you? It'll house 239 units, and it's developed by Equity Residential, which picked up this site for $76.5 million in late 2011.

Here's an explanation for the design from the architects: "The building’s massing and design are driven by the site’s long, narrow shape. The solution moved the building’s structure to the exterior in the form of an exoskeleton, freeing up space on the interior previously occupied by columns."

New Renderings: 170 Amsterdam Avenue [NY YIMBY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...m_ave.php#more

Default 23 Feb 2014

I don't even smoke, but those diagonal braces have me craving a cigarette.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast