Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Lafayette Street

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    A watched pot never boils...
    But I need to know that the burner is on!

I had such high hopes for 432 Park and was sorely disappointed. I, therefore, particularly hope for Verre to actually rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    I almost posted an April's fool joke on the Verre thread but thought it would have been heartless.
    There is new news for Torre Verre

Here are some clearer renders from EV Grieve
    http://evgrieve.com/2013/04/have-you...works-for.html

A glimpse of that corner at Lafayette + Houston from above in the Puck Building, circa 1984 ...

"Never You Done That" - GENERAL PUBLIC

This plan received full approval today from the LPC. After the presentation by the design & development team, one commissioner said it was the best presentation he'd ever seen during all his years on the commission.

Architect Rick Cook spoke about the sustainability aspects of the design, including a somewhat novel use of voids imbedded in the concrete floor plates (seemingly a type of voided biaxial slab like BubbleDeck®), which can lessen the amount of concrete needed by 50% (thus lessening the carbon footprint of the building, as concrete production emits large amounts of CO2). Apparently this type of concrete construction is used throughout Europe, but not so much in the US.

Maybe it will be used on this new tower?

Awesome news! I cannot wait to see that BP bite the dust!

You're gonna have to wait a year or more. Zoning adjustments require ULURP, set to start in June and runs for 9 months.

Que sera. I'm just glad it's going. Do you know if the Lukoil on Hudson ever reopened? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Architect Rick Cook spoke about the sustainability aspects of the design, including a somewhat novel use of voids imbedded in the concrete floor plates (seemingly a type of voided biaxial slab like BubbleDeck®), which can lessen the amount of concrete needed by 50% (thus lessening the carbon footprint of the building, as concrete production emits large amounts of CO2). Apparently this type of concrete construction is used throughout Europe, but not so much in the US.

Maybe it will be used on this new tower?
    All true; US construction practices in the areas of structural steel and reinforced concrete are decades behind what current construction technology can deliver. There is now even a method to eliminate the use of rebar which is currently used to provide the needed 'tensile' strength in concrete form work: fiberglass strands are being mixed into lightweigh concrete, combined with bubble technology, to produce structurally stable lightweigh concrete slabs - all which obviates the need for 'rebar'.

There are too many entrenched interests - along with the Hidebound nature of the US construction industry - in place in order to bring about these much needed changes and innovations.

Most established industries/practices are resistant to change: so it is not only the construction industry that is guilty of this type of 'status quo' thinking.

good post on the concrete Lofter- thanks.
    Last edited by infoshare; April 10th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Do you know if the Lukoil on Hudson ever reopened? I hope not.
    A couple of weeks ago the new pumps had been installed there (Mobil?).

That sucks. Thanks for the update, though.

Glassy Soho Office Building Leaps Landmarks Hurdle with Ease

by Jeremiah Budin

Owner Marcello Porcelli's seven-story, 60,000-square-foot office and retail building at the corner of Houston and Lafayette is one step closer to becoming a reality, as the plans won enthusiastic approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission yesterday. Although the commissioners were forced to admit that the glass, stone, and terracotta design—courtesy of Rick Cook and COOKFOX Architects—had little, if any, relevance to the character of the Cast Iron Historic District, they were quite taken with it all the same. Commissioner Fred Bland called the "biophilic design," which will seek to connect its inhabitants to nature via balconies planted with different types of greenery native to Manahattan, "the most erudite and captivating presentation I've witnessed in my four years on the council." Commissioner Michael Devonshire praised it as a "non-building" that defers completely to the Puck Building across the street. The plans were approved unanimously.

The building, which will aim for LEED Gold certification, also received support from representatives of the U.S. Green Building Council and the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Commissioner Michael Goldblum noted that the "project could have been done for probably one quarter or one half the budget shown here" and applauded Porcelli's commitment to bringing a well-designed and energy efficient building to the Noho-Soho border. Next up for Porcelli, Cook, and company is to get the city to grant them special permits for height and retail.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0..._with_ease.php

Superb! Hopefully, the crappy parking lot just to the east will be developed soon too.

This building is great: mostly just because it in not one of those 'standard' project that developers like Avalon, or Toll Brothers typically build. Looking at the renderings I can see that there is a 'raised flooring system' on top of the concrete slab, and a 'suspended' ceiling mounted on furring strips below the concrete slab: this is going to be a very expensive building to construct. This is good to see a developer sparing no expense in order to delver a 'high quality' product.

This will be one (or, yet another one) to watch.....

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    This building is great: mostly just because it in not one of those 'standard' project that developers like Avalon, or Toll Brothers typically build.
    They haven't yet entered the business of building office building.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast