Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

An autobody shop owner just interviewed said the brother who is currently on the run, came into his shop the day after the bombing, to p/u his girlfrind's white Mercedes. The shop owner told him it wasn't done, missing a bumper and plate, but the brother was very nervous and didn't care, paid cash, and left. They didn't seem to have any solid exit plans. His family has been pleading to him to turn himself in. In one of the pics released to the media, you can see little Martin Richard standing on the barricade to see better, and one of the brothers and his backpack only steps away.
    Both brothers have been here for years and loved living here, one even aspiring to try out for the US olympic boxing team. Whatever radicalism they picked up seemed to be relatively recently.

Bittersweet that the man who had both of his legs blown off id'd both brothers to the authorities.

Interview with uncle of the two suspects at his home in Maryland.

This manhunt broke just as I was getting ready to go to bed last night. Stayed up until 3AM.

Best stuff was from a guy whose apartment overlooked the street where the shootout took place.

He tweeted the whole thing: @AKitz

And then live streamed on MSNBC: VIDEO

A bullet came through the wall and pierced his computer chair (he wasn't sitting in it at the time).

Lots of photos of the action outside his window:

Now who was that guy in the video face down in the street, with his hands slightly elevated. He had lighter hair than both brothers.

Absolute insanity. That's all I can say.

You know... Although I do not praise the killing of the cop, this is probably one of the best ways this could have ended (for the one).

It kinda eliminates all doubt when the guys you are following start shooting at you....

Even without Sean Collier's death there was no mistake it was them. The best way it could have ended was with their capture or deaths and no further loss of innocent life.

Just heard shots fired in Watertown, and some mention of a body on a boat.

it's over they got him...alive.

Forum Veteran

And three other suspects in New Bedford, Mass who shared a cell phone plan with the suspect

That's the first I've heard of fellow suspects. Searched can't find anything. Frankly I'm surprised he allowed himself to be captured alive. He knew his brother was dead and that he would probably be caught and sentenced to either death or life in prison. I think they didn't even start to panic until yesterday when their faces were plastered all over the media so they actually thought they would get away with it.

Off topic: A little while ago Obama mentioned not to forget the folks in TX who were killed or injured in that massive explosion. I thought that was a nice thing to mention especially in the celebratory atmosphere in MA. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put that kind of plant near a neighborhood or vice versa.

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article...#photo-4498517

This MSNBC report claims the older brother spent six months in Russia in 2012 and returned radicalized, opening a pro-Jihadi youtube account last August. Wouldn't he have been monitored because of this activity?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Interview with uncle of the two suspects at his home in Maryland.
    This story hurts in so many ways.

I'm surprised at that too. This morning a professor from Stony Brook University was interviewed on the phone, and he said during the Chechen Rebellion in the '90s, when Russia was brutally crushing the rebels the US stayed silent and did nothing, so there was this resentment and even hatred that the Clinton administration didn't stand up to Yeltsin and intervene. But they were boys when that happened, and were taught by whatever adults had the most influence. Even so, they still wanted to move here so apparently it didn't affect them.
    So this guy goes to Russia last year and gets radicalized against the US. Even if the US wasn't everything he thought it would be, going away for six months and coming back a complete 180 doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    That's the first I've heard of fellow suspects. Searched can't find anything.
    Two college-age men and one woman in New Bedford. Univ of Mass has a campus nearby where Tsarnaev was a student. Some sources are calling them suspects, others that they were taken into custody for questioning.

Frankly I'm surprised he allowed himself to be captured alive. He knew his brother was dead and that he would probably be caught and sentenced to either death or life in prison. I think they didn't even start to panic until yesterday when their faces were plastered all over the media so they actually thought they would get away with it.
    I don't think the older brother panicked at all, probably just surprised that they were identified so quickly. They were armed with guns and explosives. They went to ATMs to get money. They hijacked a car. They were probably getting food. The 7-11 robbery was a coincidence that brought the police into the picture.

There seemed to be an escape plan, maybe nothing permanent, but enough to surface somewhere else and cause more mayhem. When the cops discovered and started the chase, he just decided to do it right there, charging the police as he was killed.

The younger one panicked, running over his brother as he drove away. He abandoned the car. It doesn't appear he really tried to get away, but hid in a boat very close to the shootout. Seems like something a kid would do, just hide until everything goes away.

From the pieces of information that have been released, he seemed to have a normal teenage life. After they immigrated, he never left the country. He became a citizen while his brother didn't. He had a scholarship and was enrolled in college. There may be dark stuff that will be uncovered, but so far nothing.

The older brother is the one who left the country for six months, and he seemed changed when he returned.

There may have been something going on with the family that had an effect on the younger brother. At some point, his father returned to Russia and remarried. So the parents divorced; where was the mother? She was in the area somewhere; there was a shoplifting charge against her. But did she have any contact with her sons?

This family trouble was hinted at in the interview with the uncle. He stressed that the idea of religious fanaticism was phony. He called them losers. He praised his brother for working hard to take care of his family, but said he had no contact with them for several years, didn't want his family to associate with them. When asked why, he said it was personal.

So something was going on in the family, and maybe it affected the younger brother, made him susceptible to influence. The older brother was married with a 3 year old daughter. At some point, she returned to her home in R.I. and neighbors said they didn't see him anymore.

He may have been a father-figure to his younger brother.

Or maybe it's something else entirely.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; April 20th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you older brothers can be VERY influential.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast