Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

Russian authorities had informed the US that this guy was believed to be associated with Islamist groups in the Caucasus region of the former Soviet Union: one of 'many' reasons why this guy should have been on some sort of FBI list - and therefore apprehended immediately following the bombing.

If that was not enough, the fact that a couple of his 'friends' - also from the same region - drove around town in a car with the vanity plate "terrorista #1" ……. Truth is often stranger than fiction.

I guess -big country, big bureaucracy - things are bound to slip between the 'gaping' cracks. What can you do?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1323004

^Yeah, gaping cracks with a neon sign screaming "Potential Terrorists This Way!!"

Dorm room buddy statesyounger brother showed no signs anything wrong after the bombing.
    http://gma.yahoo.com/dzhokhar-tsarna...opstories.html

And I guess getting those medals wasn't such an urgent need after all for a disgusting few.
    http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports...trage/13441828

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    ^Yeah, gaping cracks with a neon sign screaming "Potential Terrorists This Way!!"
    Yes, but you or I would not dare to attempt a 'moral intervention' buy telling those fellows in the car: "you are offending my values, my country, my cultural sensibilities" by driving around town with that discusting license plate.

NO, we are all - particularly in Boston - liberals: we must NOT impose our own 'values' , we must 'respect' their freedom of speech, we are all 'enlightened' by the notion of multiculturalism.

Events like this, and the various societal observations it engenders, does not leave me feeling very optimistic about the future prospects for Western Civilization in general: and America in particular.

If it weren't now associated with heinous acts that licence plate would be chalked up to poor taste or simply ignored by most people; "terrorista" -- and since it is in Spanish it loses some of its umpf in the majority culture -- is most certainly protect by free speech, hardly a political right upheld only by "liberals."

Kind of a leap from this admittedly horrific week of events in Boston to the downfall of Western Civilization, isn't it?

All-in-all, I truly feel sympathy for these two lost souls - particularly the younger brother. Im just as disappointed in seeing the 'celebrations' taking place in Boston as I was dismayed by viewing the celebrations in Islam after the WTC was bombed. Come to think of it - what we are seeing here may be more than just the downfall of 'western civilization', but the downfall of humanity.

At this point I clearly prefer to get on to more 'topical' and less 'philosophical' aspects of the the Bombing at the Boston marathon...

Peace to you.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post

NO, we are all - particularly in Boston - liberals: we must NOT impose our own 'values' , we must 'respect' their freedom of speech, we are all 'enlightened' by the notion of multiculturalism.
    When did free speech become a 'liberal value'? When did multiculturalism become un-American? Were your ancestors born in the US? Did they assimilate the day they landed on US soil?

Multiculturalism is what made this country great. The constant influx of immigrants bringing new ideas and new ways of life throughout the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries defined this country. Even today, contributions from people of foreign origins fuel our math, science, technology, engineering, finance and other business industries. The people who come here and contribute to our society, bring their culture with them, and we're the better for it.

What happened in Boston was a terrible tragedy. But let's not turn this into an indictment on American constitutional values, which include multiculturalism and liberty, unless you are prepared to live in a monochromatic police state where everyone looks, talks and thinks alike - eating the same foods, dancing the same dances, sharing the same arts.
    Last edited by eddhead; April 21st, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

eddhead, at the risk of misunderstanding what he said, I don't think infoshare was bemoaning multiculturalism. I think - and he will correct me if I'm wrong - was stating his concern over the fact that in light of the CIA's or FBI's failure to keep tabs and contain these guys, that there may have been some hesitation on their part to go too far for fear of being looked at as too much of a big brother, especially when it comes to foreign-born citizens. We know that US intelligence will do what they have to do when they want to do it, but even they have to have a break. They get a lead, follow it, and when it turns dead, they move on. Why didn't they do it in this case? We'll find out soon.

That same hesitation could be said of the average American when it comes to seeing something/saying something. We always think, "What if we're wrong, and that foregin-looking guy doesn't have a bomb in his backpack?" How many of us would point out an idiotic "terrorista" novelty plate to the authorities if we thought the driver looked foreign? How many of us would hesitate to report a suspicious person for fear of being labeled a bigot? Or fascist?
    "Out of many, one" can get lost in times like this. If we're all in the same melting pot that is the US, why do we all feel the need to always go to our separate corners?

The Apology the New York Post Should Have Issued

By ANIMAL | April 19, 2013 - 05:15PM

How did that apology letter get into your New York Post today? Watch the video

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    eddhead, at the risk of misunderstanding what he said, I don't think infoshare was bemoaning multiculturalism. I think - and he will correct me if I'm wrong - was stating his concern over the fact that in light of the CIA's or FBI's failure to keep tabs and contain these guys, that there may have been some hesitation on their part to go too far for fear of being looked at as too much of a big brother, especially when it comes to foreign-born citizens.
    I don't know how you got that from this:

Here is an interesting 'take' on what may have motivated the bombers to commit an act of terrorism: bad (brutalist) architecture on campus. This link via an archboston.org member - http://www.jamessrussell.net/James_S...on_Bomber.html

If it's the Brutal World that did in Tarnaev, then it's more likely it's the architecture (not to mention the current landscape) in his Dad's city of Makhachkala, Dagestan (where Tamerlan recently traveled) that did some damage ...

Twin bomb attacks kill 12 in Russia's Dagestan

A view of a site where two bombs exploded, in Makhachkala, Dagestan on May 4, 2012

Reuters / Abdula Magomedov

A view of the site where bombs exploded in Makhachkala, Dagestan, on May 4, 2012.

(Photo: Reuters)

From 2011:

Once it was Chechnya, today it is the republic of Dagestan on the Caspian Sea
    that is the most explosive place in Russia - and in Europe.

Abandoned Naval Test Station outside of Makhachkala Dagestan Russia

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    I
    Kind of a leap from this admittedly horrific week of events in Boston to the downfall of Western Civilization, isn't it?
    Indeed it is. And thinking otherwise poses a great danger to our liberties and way of life.

I don't know how you got that from this:

From this as a whole:
    Yes, but you or I would not dare to attempt a 'moral intervention' buy telling those fellows in the car: "you are offending my values, my country, my cultural sensibilities" by driving around town with that discusting license plate.

It's the same thing. Just a little more of it.

Was simply explaining the gist I got from the post was that we are compromising safety for fear of offending anyone. Usually the FBI or CIA don't have reservations about that. Was it simply another intelligence failure that fell through the cracks, yet again with catastrophic consequences?

Also, what about the next weird-looking American guy at a movie theatre, or near a school, or getting out of a box truck in front of a government building or skyscraper? Should we keep quiet until we're absolutely sure? By then it's too late.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast