Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 195

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

  1. #1

    Default Explosions at Boston Marathon

    Got this on my phone.

    At least two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.


    That's all I know.

    **Single explosions are often reported as more than one due to reverberations.

  2. #2


    CNN has reported that Boston Police indicate 2 people have died and 22 are injured.

  3. #3


    In one pic I saw the beginning of an explosion, and about a block farther smoke from another. A reporter on site said there was a heavy sulfur smell in the air. Also, is it possible these explosions happened underground?

  4. #4


    Possibly placed in garbage cans.

  5. #5


    Reading reports of 3 people dead and a search for a third device in the Fairmount Copley Plaza Hotel.

  6. #6


    Here is that pic with what looks like two different explosions.

  7. #7
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003


    Was listening to the news from work.

    This has got to be completely pointless. Is the cultural divide THAT skewed that they somehow think that bombing an event like a marathon will somehow gain them submission?

    It is pointless in so many ways, including their own.

  8. #8


    Been a long time since I posted here. Thinking of the people of Boston.
    Last edited by 195Broadway; April 16th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Was listening to the news from work.

    This has got to be completely pointless. Is the cultural divide THAT skewed that they somehow think that bombing an event like a marathon will somehow gain them submission?

    It is pointless in so many ways, including their own.
    Difficult to conclude who "they" are though.

  10. #10


    CBS/AP/ April 16, 2013, 4:29 AM

    Boston bombings: Person of interest's apartment searched

    Last updated at 8:09 a.m. ET

    BOSTON Law enforcement officers investigating the Boston marathon bombings searched the suburban apartment of a man being questioned in connection with the attack late Monday into early Tuesday, CBS Boston station WBZ-TV reports..

    CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports the man is a Saudi national currently under guard at an area hospital. He was seen running from the explosion, and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston police and was being interviewed by the FBI. He was being cooperative and denying any involvement.

    "This could mean a lot, or this could mean very little," Miller said. "It's too soon to call him a suspect."

    Massachusetts State Police confirm to The Associated Press that a search warrant related to the probe was served Monday night in Revere, Mass., but provided no further details.

    Some investigators were seen leaving the apartment building early Tuesday carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.

    WBZ says the search lasted nine hours. The Revere Fire Department wrote on its Facebook page it pertained to "a person of interest."

    Two men were questioned by federal agents in the lobby overnight and handed over their passports before they were allowed to go upstairs, WBZ reports.

    Miller says the man was being treated for burns on his hands, and authorities suggest he may be in the U.S. on a student visa.

    Two bombs exploded in the crowded streets near the marathon finish line, killing at least three people and injuring more than 140 in a bloody scene of shattered glass and severed limbs that raised alarms that terrorists might have struck again in the U.S.

    WBZ reports one of the dead was an eight-year-old boy, identified by the Boston Globe as Martin Richard. Richard's sister reportedly lost a leg and his mother was seriously injured.

    A White House official speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still unfolding said Monday's attack was being treated as an act of terrorism.

    President Obama, speaking earlier from the White House, pointedly avoided using the words "terror" or "terrorism," saying officials "still do not know who did this or why."

    "We will find out who did this. We'll find out why they did this," Mr. Obama said in his brief statement. "Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice."

    Mr. Obama received updates overnight from his Assistant for Homeland Security and Counter-terrorism, Lisa Monaco, and was to get further briefings from senior administration officials later in the morning, reports CBS News correspondent Major Garrett.

    As the FBI took charge of the investigation, authorities shed no light on a motive or who may have carried out the bombings, and police said they had no suspects in custody. Officials in Washington said there was no immediate claim of responsibility.

    The Pakistani Taliban have denied any role in the bombings, according to the AP.

    Miller reported earlier that authorities are also reviewing surveillance video that shows a man from behind carrying two backpacks near the site of the explosions. Authorities are not sure whether the subject in the video is linked to the blasts.

    Mass. Rep. Bill Keating, a member of the House Committee on Homeland Security, told WBZ two other devices were found in the vicinity, but provided no other details. Law enforcement sources have said there were no other unexploded devices recovered.

    The fiery twin blasts took place almost simultaneously and about 100 yards apart, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending dense plumes of smoke rising over the street and through the fluttering national flags lining the course.

    When the second bomb went off, the spectators' cheers turned to screams. As sirens blared, emergency workers and National Guardsmen assigned to the race for crowd control began climbing over and tearing down temporary fences to get to the blast site.

    A pool of blood formed, and huge shards were missing from window panes as high as three stories.

    "They just started bringing people in with no limbs," said runner Tim Davey, of Virginia. He said he and his wife, Lisa, tried to keep their children's eyes shielded from the gruesome scene inside a medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners, but "they saw a lot."

    Hospitals reported at least 144 injured, at least 17 of them critically. The injuries ranged from cuts and bruises to amputations. Many victims suffered lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds. Some suffered ruptured eardrums.

    At Massachusetts General Hospital, Alasdair Conn, chief of emergency services, said, "This is something I've never seen in my 25 years here ... this amount of carnage in the civilian population. This is what we expect from war."

    Demi Clark, a runner from North Carolina who said she was the crossing finish line as the first blast went off, told "blood was everywhere instantly."


    "Nobody knew what to do - after the second one went off we were like, 'the city's under attack,'" Clark said.

    James Minicucci, who was arriving in Boston by car to meet friends at the finish line when the explosions happened, told the scene was "chaotic."

    "Some guy told us it was really bad, that several people lost their legs, there were amputations and not to go through to finish line area," Minicucci said.

    Some 23,000 runners took part in the race, which attracts more than 500,000 spectators and winds up in the heart of central Boston, near the landmark Prudential Center and the Boston Public Library. It is held on Patriots Day, a Massachusetts state holiday that commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution in 1775.

    Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis asked people to stay indoors or go back to their hotel rooms and avoid crowds as bomb squads methodically checked parcels and bags left along the race route. He said investigators didn't know precisely where the bombs were planted or whether they were hidden in mailboxes or trash cans.

    He said authorities had received "no specific intelligence that anything was going to happen" at the race.

    The president was briefed on the incident Monday by several senior administration officials, including FBI Director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. He also spoke with Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino and pledged to provide whatever federal support was needed.

    In addition, Mr. Obama spoke with Republican and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill, saying that, "On days like this, there are no Republicans or Democrats. We are Americans united in our concern for our fellow citizens."

    The Federal Aviation Administration created a no-fly zone over the site of the explosions, and briefly ordered flights bound for Boston's Logan International Airport held on the ground at airports around the U.S.

    A few miles away from the finish line and around the same time, a fire broke out at the John F. Kennedy presidential library. The police commissioner said it may have been caused by an incendiary device but didn't appear to be related to the bombings.

    The first loud explosion occurred on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. The second explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

    They occurred about four hours into the race and two hours after the men's winner crossed the line. By that point, more than 17,000 of the runners had finished the race, but thousands of others were farther back along the course.

    The four-hour mark is typically a highly crowded time near the finish line -- both because of the slow-but-steady recreational runners likely to be completing the race and because of all the relatives and friends clustered around to cheer them on.

    Runners in the medical tent for treatment of dehydration or other race-related ills were pushed out to make room for victims of the bombing.

    At the White House, the Secret Service expanded its security perimeter after the attacks, shutting down Pennsylvania Avenue and cordoning off the area with yellow police tape. Several Secret Service patrol cars blocked off entry points, although the White House was not on lockdown and tourists and other onlookers were still allowed in the park across the street.

    At Congress, members of intelligence committees said they expected to be briefed on the attack on Tuesday.

    A woman who was near the second bomb, Brighid Wall, 35, said that when it exploded, runners and spectators froze, unsure of what to do. Her husband threw their children to the ground, lay on top of them and another man lay on top of them and said, "Don't get up, don't get up."

    She said she saw six to eight people bleeding profusely, including one man who was kneeling, dazed, with blood coming down his head. Another person was on the ground covered in blood and not moving.

    "My ears are zinging. Their ears are zinging. It was so forceful. It knocked us to the ground."

    Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Authorities went onto the course to carry away the injured while race stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site.

    Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state police officer from the neighboring state of Rhode Island, had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the blasts.

    "I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor," he said. "We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing."

    The Boston Marathon honored the victims of the December shooting in Newtown, Conn. with a special mile marker in Monday's race.

    Boston Athletic Association president Joanne Flaminio previously said there was "special significance" to the fact that the race is 26.2 miles long and 26 people died at Sandy Hook Elementary school.

    Cities worldwide stepped up security following the explosions.

    In Britain, police said they were reviewing security plans for Sunday's London Marathon, the next major international marathon. Thousands of people compete in the London Marathon every year, thronging the city's streets. London is also considered a top target for international terrorists.

    A London Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed Monday that police are working with marathon officials to review security plans for Sunday's event. The London race's chief executive, Nick Bitel, expressed shock and sadness about the situation in Boston, saying "it is a very sad day for athletics and for our friends in marathon running."

    In New York City, police spokesman Paul Browne said that critical response teams are deployed around the city. Officials were stepping up security at hotels and other prominent locations.

    Spectator Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

    "I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

    © 2013 CBS Interactive Inc.

  11. #11
    NYC Aficionado from Oz Merry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002


    A perfect Marathon day, then the unimaginable

    By Kevin Cullen

    It was as good a Patriots Day, as good a Marathon day, as any, dry and seasonably warm but not hot like last year. The buzz was great. While the runners climbed Heartbreak Hill, the Red Sox were locked in another white-knuckle duel with the Tampa Bay Rays at Fenway Park. The only thing missing was Lou Reed crooning “Perfect Day” in the background.

    The winners and the elite runners had long ago finished, when in the Fens, at shortly after 2 p.m., Mike Napoli kissed a ball off The Green Monster in the bottom of the ninth, allowing Dustin Pedroia to scamper all the way home from first base, giving the Red Sox a walk-off win.

    Many of those jubilant Sox fans had walked down through Kenmore Square toward the Back Bay to watch the Marathon. Some of them had just got to the finish line when the first bomb went off, shortly before 3 p.m.

    In an instant, a perfect day had morphed into something viscerally evil.

    The location and timing of the bombs was sinister beyond belief, done purposely to maximize death and destruction. Among those who watched in horror as a fireball belched out across the sidewalk on Boylston were the parents of the schoolkids murdered in Newtown, Conn. The Atlantic reported they were sitting in a VIP section at the finish line, across the street from the explosion.

    This is how bad this is. I went out Monday night and bumped into some firefighters I know. They said one of the dead was an 8-year-old boy from Dorchester who had gone out to hug his dad after he crossed the finish line. The dad walked on; the boy went back to the sidewalk to join his mom and his little sister. And then the bomb went off. The boy was killed. His sister’s leg was blown off. His mother was badly injured. That’s just one family, one story.

    It would be wrong and a cliche to say we lost our innocence on Monday afternoon as a plume of white smoke drifted high above Boylston Street, as blood pooled on the sidewalk across from the Boston Public Library, as severed limbs lay amid the bruised and the bloodied and the stunned, their ears ringing, their ears bleeding.

    We lost our innocence on another perfect day, in September, 12 years ago. But we lost something Monday, too, and that is the idea that we will ever feel totally safe in this city again.

    The Marathon is the city’s signature event, a tangible link with the rest of the world. It is one of the few things that allows us to cling to that pretense of Boston being the Hub of the universe. Patriots Day is a celebration of our revolutionary history, but we share it with the world. It is the one day of the year when the city is its most diverse, with people from so many other countries here to run those 26 miles from Hopkinton to the Back Bay.

    And so it was alternately poignant and horrifying to watch as first responders frantically pulled metal barriers and the flags of so many different countries down into Boylston Street in a desperate rush to get to the dead and the injured on the sidewalk.

    Those flags looked like victims, splayed on Boylston Street as the acrid smoke hung in the air.

    After the initial explosion, runners instinctively craned their necks toward the blast site. Then, 12 seconds later, a second explosion, further up Boylston. It was pandemonium. I saw an older runner wearing high rise pink socks, about to cross the finish line. He was knocked to the ground by a photographer running up Boylston Street toward the second explosion.

    In an instant, so many lives changed. Some ended. The telephone lines burned. Everybody was trying to figure out who and why. The cops I talked to were shaking their heads. It could be anybody. Could be foreign. Could be domestic. Could be Al Qaeda. Could be home-grown nuts.

    It was Patriots Day. It was tax day. It was Israel’s independence day. Theories swirled like the smoke above Boylston Street. Friday marks the 20th anniversary of the FBI assault on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, and the 18th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing.

    Then there was the story about the young Saudi guy who was being questioned by the FBI. Now, the FBI wouldn’t tell me if my pants were on fire, but my old pal John Miller from CBS News reported that the kid did a runner after the explosion and that somebody tackled him and held him for the police. Miller used to be an associate director at the FBI, and let’s just say his sources there are impeccable. Miller says the Saudi guy was cooperative and denied he had anything to do with the bombing. He says he took off because, like everybody else in the Back Bay, he was terrified. A law enforcement source later told me that Miller’s story is right on the money.

    I saw Lisa Hughes from WBZ-TV trying to do her job, amid the blood and the body parts. And then I remembered that Lisa, who is as nice a person as you’ll find in this business, married a guy from Wellesley named Mike Casey who lost his wife Neilie on one of the planes out of Boston that crashed into the Twin Towers. And then I tried not to cry and just marveled at how professional Lisa was.

    Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick began his day by visiting ailing Mayor Tom Menino of Boston in the hospital. Hours later, Patrick was on the phone with President Obama, and Menino signed himself out of the hospital. He couldn’t be cooped up while his city was being attacked. Like so many people in the Back Bay, the mayor needed a wheelchair to get around.

    Dave McGillivray, the Marathon director, had just arrived in Hopkinton, and was about to run the 26-mile route, as he does every year hours after the last runner has departed. A state cop told McGillivray what had happened and McGillivray jumped in a cruiser and raced back to the finish line.

    Before 3 p.m., the medical tent at the finish line had seen nothing worse than a blister. Then, in an instant, it was transformed into a battlefield triage unit. Doctors and nurses who had been running the race in turn raced to the medical tent and volunteered their services, still sweating, still wearing their running gear. People in the Back Bay opened their homes to runners who couldn’t get back to their hotels.

    We will get through this, but we will never be the same.

    Even as the smoke drifted away from Boylston, we are still in the fog, still in the dark, our ears still ringing from the bombs.

    And we are left with this unnerving proposition: If it was home-grown, it was probably an aberration, the work of a lunatic. If it was foreign inspired or sponsored, we will never feel safe again in our own town.

    President Obama asked the rest of the country to pray for Boston. But we need more than prayers. We need answers. We need peace of mind, and we’ll never have that again on Patriots Day. Ever. Because somebody came here on our Patriots Day and launched their own revolution.

  12. #12
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003


    Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    Difficult to conclude who "they" are though.

  13. #13
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    New York City


    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    BOSTON Law enforcement officers investigating the Boston marathon bombings searched the suburban apartment of a man being questioned in connection with the attack late Monday into early Tuesday, CBS Boston station WBZ-TV reports..

    CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports the man is a Saudi national currently under guard at an area hospital. He was seen running from the explosion, and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston police and was being interviewed by the FBI. He was being cooperative and denying any involvement.
    Funny that they picked that guy out from the running victims and assumed he was a bomber because he looked like and was of middle eastern descent. That being said, the bombs were pressure cookers filled with shrapnel which are typical of middle eastern devices in previous incidents. So chances are this was an international attack and not a domestic terrorism case

  14. #14


    Mysterious picture of man on roof during Boston Marathon bombing goes viral, prompts speculation

    An image taken as the second bomb exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday has sparked conspiracy theories because it shows a man on top of a building. There is no evidence that the shadowy figure has any involvement in the attack, but Twitter users have been jumping to conclusions and asking "who is that guy on the roof."

    By Victoria Taylor / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

    Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 8:58 AM

    The picture showing an unidentified man on top of a building during the Boston Marathon bombing has social media users speculating if he had any involvement in the attacks.

    There are many shocking and terrifying pictures of the Boston Marathon bombing, but one of a mysterious man on a rooftop during the second explosion has Twitter buzzing with speculation.The picture, taken by spectator Dan Lampariello, shows what appears to be a man walking on the roof of a building near the site of the second bomb, Yahoo News reported. The two bombs were detonated about 12 seconds apart at 2:50 p.m. near the race's finish line.

    One of the first accounts to point out the mysterious figure was @Fraank_Oceaan, a parody Twitter for singer Frank Ocean. The post has since been retweeted more than 2,200 times.
    The photo has since gone viral and continues to prompt speculation. According to Yahoo News, the phrase “Boston Marathon roof” was trending on Twitter.
    "Who's the guy on the roof? He's not reacting to the detonation," one Twitter user posted.
    "What is this thing about some guy on a roof? Mystery man? I bet that's the guy!" another user wrote.
    The identity of the shadowy figure is not known, nor is it clear if he had anything to do with the terror attack. But the image has some people spooked.
    "That man on the roof on the Boston marathon photo is creeping me out," one user tweeted.
    The twin bombs killed three people and seriously injured more than 140.

    Read more:

  15. #15


    Twitter creeps me out.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software