Thread: Hackensack: The New Brunswick of Bergen County?

Default Hackensack: The New Brunswick of Bergen County?

I've read about Hackensack's redevelopment aspirations here and there over the past few years, but I didn't realize how soon developers would commit to making them a reality. As it turns out, Hackensack's first major redevelopment project is apparently under construction (unfortunately I couldn't find a rendering). But the building will be 6 stories and contain 222 units, as well as parking. The scale of this building and other projects proposed, as well as the city's location (urban oasis), access to rail transit, and the fact that it's home to a university draws alot of similarities to New Brunswick. It will definitely be interesting to see how the redevelopment process plays out over the next few years and what type of tenants the new buildings draw.

Link: http://www.northjersey.com/hackensac...ackensack.html

Forum Veteran

It would have been a decade ago if NJT had upgraded the Pascack Valley line to provide service every 20mins , they added offpeak service a few years ago which proved popular , but they have upgraded the line itself. They also put on hold the Proposed Bergen-Passaic LRT which was a mess and skipped over a few large neglected sections of Bergen County. If they redid the plans and connected that down to HBLR in North Bergen then Hackensack would explode. The Route 4 Bus Rapid Transitway is in planning that would service Northern part of Hackensack and New Bridge Landing section of River Edge which has TOD underway. As for the University , the Campus is mostly in Teaneck and its very quiet. I don't see that changing anytime soon... As for redevelopment there are a few stalled projects near the Anderson Street Station. It won't be a New Brunswick due to the Height restrictions from the FAA.. The Max is 6 stories in the lower part of Hackensack , the high rise area is all built out. Hackensack is pretty affordable , like nearby Englewood , Teaneck , Maywood...charging 1600 to 2000 is pretty offensive. Prices should be set between 960 and 1500$.

I could definitely see Hackensack becoming a smaller version of New Brunswick. I think it's more the medical center, and the govt. functions, that are the economic base, more so than the university, which isn't right in the middle of town. But the university is pretty close, and helps too.

The article mentions three major projects planned or under construction. I could see the whole downtown area booming with new development, as long as transit improvements eventually happen. Even without the added transit, they will get some development.

Thumbs up First Apt Project Secures $26 Million Loan

Note: the below article doesn't state if all the necessary financing for the project has been obtained, but this is a good sign nevertheless (article courtesy of GlobeSt.com):
    Developer of Meridia Hackensack Secures $26M Loan

By John Jordan | New Jersey

HACKENSACK, NJ-The George Capodagli Company has secured a $25.7-million construction loan with First Niagara Commercial Real Estate Group for its Meridia Hackensack apartment project here.

The project, a 222-unit Class A apartment building, is the first to be developed in the newly established rezoned area known as the “Main Street Rehabilitation Plan in” downtown Hackensack. The plan calls for a high density, mixed-use development on several lots in the downtown district.

The Meridia project will be the first substantial residential development in more than 20 years in the area, First Niagara officials state.

“We are pleased to provide the financing for this important new project that will add to the vitality of downtown Hackensack in its new redevelopment zone,” states First Niagara’s Christophe Terlizzi, regional manager for the Commercial Real Estate Group. “This is another example of our commitment to providing area businesses with lending solutions that are responsive to their needs and objectives. We are actively looking for opportunities to put our capital to work for real estate investors throughout the Tri-State Region."

Link: http://www.globest.com/news/12_728/n...an-339428.html

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I went to Sears in Hackensack a few months ago (don't ask) and took the bus back to Port Authority. I hadn't been to that area in about five years and was very surprised to see how run down it had become and quite obviously the local population didn't have much $. I had always considered Hackensack to be pretty ok but maybe I was thinking of the part closer to the Hudson?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I went to Sears in Hackensack a few months ago (don't ask) and took the bus back to Port Authority. I hadn't been to that area in about five years and was very surprised to see how run down it had become and quite obviously the local population didn't have much $. I had always considered Hackensack to be pretty ok but maybe I was thinking of the part closer to the Hudson?
    The Middle Class / Rich area is on the hill , rents are anywhere from 1400 to 3000 a month and homes range from 400k to 1 million. That part of town shops in Paramus , same with Maywood and other nearby towns. The lower part is poor , and rundown but there isn't much crime. Reinvestment is needed and much needed and promised transit upgrades are aswell. But a lot of these plans and sites get put on hold , so there are a decent number of finished sites in Hackensack hence why i'm skeptical of any massive redevelopment happening.

The downtown Bank Tower will be converted to apartments, along with 2 adjacent buildings. This is great news for Hackensack!
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/2366...partments.html

Forum Veteran

If the Passaic Light Rail Branch to Hawthorne was built and connected to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail then Hackensack , Eastern Paterson and all the towns in between would explode with TOD and would have an outlet for added population. As it stands now the entire Bergen County bus system is operating at capacity during rush hr , standing room only. I fear that any large scale development projects without any of the lines listed above will cause a meltdown of the system. Upgrading the Pascack Valley line to New Bridge landing to provide bi-directional service every 20mins would relive the congestion along the 165 bus route but for some reason transit has decided to put that project on hold. Its a ticking time bomb that needs to be addressed this decade , the entire Bergen County plan is only 2.1 billion $ but it would greatly reduce the strained bus network. Towns and cities like Englewood , River Edge and Hackensack aren't waiting for the rail upgrades but do seem to be concentrating new developments around future Rail stops. This Entire plan above would cut congestion on 17 bus routes...

Thumbs up Hackensack Rising

Hackensack makes way for green space in downtown redevelopment

By Myles Ma | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on November 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM, updated November 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Officials break ground on the Atlantic Street Park in Hackensack, Nov. 10, 2014. (Myles Ma | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

HACKENSACK — The city is sprouting new developments in its downtown: The 222-unit Meridia Metro building rising on State Street, the 382-unit building coming to 150 and 170 Main Street and the 135 units coming to the former Bank of America building on Main Street.

It's all part of an ambitious rehabilitation plan that has drawn about $200 million in announced development to downtown Hackensack.

On Monday the city ensured there would be at least one patch of green amid the planned construction, breaking bround on Atlantic Street Park.

"You really need to have small open settings that give some relief to the urban fabric," said Francis Reiner, redevelopment consultant for DMR Archtiects, the company that designed the park.

City officials envision the park as a place for residents and workers to relax and take in performances at a planned ampitheater.

"I just look forward to coming here on a nice spring or summer night, listening to some music and looking at the people of Hackensack having a good time," Mayor John LaBrosse said.

The ampitheater will work in tandem with the Hackensack Cultural Arts Center, under construction on the same block in a former Masonic Lodge.

The park, a $617,085 project funded in part by a $268,085 Bergen County Open Space grant, will be surrounded by 45 parking spaces, included to appease neighboring businesses concerned about losing the Atlantic Street lot.

"We worked with the community and the people who were originally opposed to come out with a solution that made everyone happy," Jerome Lombardo, Chairman of the Upper Main Street Alliance, said.

The park is part of a redevelopment plan over a decade in the making. The plan calls for a streamlined development approval process and a reworking of Main and State streets to allow for two-way traffic.

With the Meridia building set to begin renting in 2015, the plan is gaining steam, Lombardo said.

"We have several projects both on the drawing board and several that have been approved," he said.

Myles Ma may be reached at mma@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @MylesMaNJ. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Forum Veteran

Long-anticipated downtown redevelopment takes shape in Hackensack

By Myles Ma | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    on April 01, 2015 at 8:00 AM, updated April 01, 2015 at 8:08 AM

HACKENSACK -- The city is changing. The signs are everywhere.

There's the six-story apartment rising on a State Street block that once sat mostly vacant. There's the former parking lot on Atlantic Street in the midst of being transformed into a park. And there's a bulldozer, lording over a pile of rubble destined to become a 14-story mixed-use development on Main Street.

It's the biggest year yet for Hackensack's long dreamed-of redevelopment. The Meridia Metro development on State Street is set this summer to become the first new residential to project to open under the rehabilitation effort, and other projects have broken ground.
    http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2...edium=facebook

Forum Veteran

Wow , I was wondering what that project was...