Thread: Game of Thrones

Question Game of Thrones

Anybody watching this?

I have been following and it has been very good so far.

I have only noticed some major compression of the plot recently (namely the meeting of the heavy guy from the North watch meeting up with Hodor and company..... i do not remember them actually meeting each other in the books). The story and plot is still very good.

Opinions people?

Fantastic. Though there are many liberties taken in terms of timeline compression and streamlining plots it is a great, massive show (as one comedian said GoT is like Twitter, 140 characters and full of drama). I believe last week's Red Wedding episode is arguably one of most shocking TV episodes ever shown on TV, and that's saying something. Some elements bother me, the focus on Theon Greyjoy this season differs a lot from the book, he was never a great character and, though his situation is disturbingly entertaining, it bothers me that he receives more screen time that the Mother of Dragons.

I love shows that are not afraid to kill off major characters. So many shows pander to the masses and plod along with average ratings and "safe" story lines.

I can only hope that one of my other favorites, Dexter, goes out in a blaze of glory this year...I love you Dex but boy I hope for the show's integrity that you meet a gruesome end.

I love shows that are not afraid to kill off major characters. So many shows pander to the masses and plod along with average ratings and "safe" story lines.

*cough*Walking Dead*cough*

I read the first 3 books and started to watch the series though season 1.5. I did not see the Red Wedding, but knew it was coming. Like Irish, I am not afraid to kill off major characters, but it got to be ridiculous. Just as you get invested in a chaeracter he/she gets knocked off. I thought Iit was bad when Ned was seperated from his head, but that was nothing compared to what has happened and will happen next. I actually had to stop reading the series because it was upsetting me. Literally.

It is well written and well conceived though. Ninjs' comment on "Walking Dead" was priceless. You'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    *cough*Walking Dead*cough*[/COLOR]
    SPOILERS!

Very much agreed. Though I found some of the major deaths in GoT more shocking than in Walking Dead. Shane, Lori, Andrea...all had become quite annoying and their demise was almost a relief.

On other hand for instance, the way Talisa (played by Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter btw) was dispatched, was truly unbelievable!

Crossover, what I was implying was that the comic on WD killed people off MUCH more freely than the TV series.

Game of Thrones is like a Character Grinder, just when you like one they are gone, and 3 more take their place....

A great article in the NYT highlighting the beauty of my homeland in the north of Ireland and its use as the scene of many GOT backdrops.
    Last edited by IrishInNYC; July 8th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

I will finally watch an episode of this tonight, starting with Season 1.
    Have got to see what all the fuss is about.

Just be prepared. It starts off rather confusingly (with the three on patrol)... but that leads you to the Starks and sets you to meet some great characters.

Just do NOT read ahead! So many twists....