Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Former NE Patriot Aaron Hernandez Charged With First-Degree Murder

Makes you wonder....

If you "can't trust anybody anymore" what he was really into that made him suspicious enough to kill a man for talking to another group.

I think Murder is only one of the crimes that should be looked into here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Makes you wonder....

If you "can't trust anybody anymore" what he was really into that made him suspicious enough to kill a man for talking to another group.

I think Murder is only one of the crimes that should be looked into here.
    "They" say that Lloyd knew about AH's involvement in the double homicide in Boston from last summer and that, based on the people Lloyd was speaking with in Rumor, AH doubted Lloyd's loyalty and chose to silence him.

This could be another messy, public trial that comes down to a jury's interpretation and instruction.

Again, knowing nothing about criminal law (or any for that matter) if the prosecutor cannot 100% prove that AH pulled the trigger on the gun that shot Lloyd, can he still be found guilty of murder 1?

Let's say one of the other 2 guys confesses to being the trigger man and AH never even touched the gun. Is AH still guilty of M1 because he participated in luring Lloyd into the car (that was in AH's name) and standing there as the murder took place?

Does the prosecution need to prove he was the trigger man? That's where I would see a huge problem in the case.

I can't find the indictment transcript, but the news reports state that the charge is murder one, and there are quotes from the document by Assistant DA Bill McCauley:

drove the victim to the remote spot, and then he orchestrated his execution,
    He orchestrated the crime from the beginning, he took steps to conceal and destroy evidence, and he took steps to prevent the police from speaking to ... an important witness.
    If the above is official, then that's what the jury will deliberate.

My guess is that "orchestrate" is legal terminology - that the accused had total control over the murder; he planned it; and enlisted others to carry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I can't find the indictment transcript, but the news reports state that the charge is murder one, and there are quotes from the document by Assistant DA Bill McCauley:

If the above is official, then that's what the jury will deliberate.

My guess is that "orchestrate" is legal terminology - that the accused had total control over the murder; he planned it; and enlisted others to carry it out.
    OK I see. They don't necessarily need to prove he fired the gun. His abetment and complicity are enough for Murder 1.

I think you have to be careful with words like complicity. All three men can be considered as complicit, but there is a term called principal felon.

Disclaimer - I'm not sure about the following:

Common law mandates that an accessory cannot be charged unless the principal felon - the one who actually committed the crime - is also charged. So does that refer to the person who fired the weapon or the person who "orchestrated" the crime? A further complication is that Massachusetts has rejected that mandate - an accessory can be charged even if no charges are brought against a principal.

Ernest Wallace was charged as an accessory after the fact, a person who "harbors, conceals, maintains, or assists the principal felon."

As far as I know, Carlos Ortiz has been charged with weapons possession, and no one has been charged with firing the shots. I can't see any of the three admitting to that.

Wallace may the likely one to plea-bargain in exchange for testimony.

Sounds like a perfect mix of ingredients for a long, drawn out court case. I imagine each one of the three sweating in their cells wondering who is saying what about the others.

Forum Veteran

Even if he gets off his NFL playing days are over

I don't think even the Oakland Raiders or New York Jets would touch this guy

Not even the Lions?

They already have a player who's borderline committing felonies during games.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; July 19th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Even if he gets off his NFL playing days are over

I don't think even the Oakland Raiders or New York Jets would touch this guy
    I disagree. If he gets off, (as in, does not spend time in prison) he'll be back.

Bad boys bring in thrill seekers.

Since when has football EVER been seen as "wholesome"... (Professional football, at least...)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    I disagree. If he gets off, (as in, does not spend time in prison) he'll be back.
    Ray Lews anyone?

Not quite the same thing, but as far as I am concerned, his role in the murder Lollar and Baker, has never been accounted for.

The only thing that's happened so far - remember, Hernandez was cut by the Pats so he's a free agent - is that the NFL will not approve a contract that any team enters into with Hernandez while his legal status is l in doubt.

A team could take a no-risk position and sign him to a contract. If he's convicted, the contract is voided. Although this would be a highly controversial public-relations move, I could see an idiot owner like Jerry Jones doing it.

Back to reality: Even the amount of evidence that's been released - documents have been sealed - indicate a solid case.

Police back at lake in Aaron Hernandez's Connecticut hometown

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- Police divers have returned for a second day of searching in a lake in the Connecticut hometown of Aaron Hernandez the former NE Patriots player who is charged with murder.
    Authorities have declined to comment on the search at Pine Lake, a 54-acre man-made lake in Bristol, except to confirm it is related to the Hernandez investigation.
    Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old Boston semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 about a mile from Hernandez's home in North Attleborough, Mass.
    Authorities believe Lloyd was killed with a .45-caliber Glock, which hasn't been recovered.
    Divers spent eight hours Monday at the lake, which has an average depth of 4 1/2 feet and is 12 feet at its deepest point.

Report: Aaron Hernandez could be connected to multiple shootings in Florida

Aaron Hernandez, already jailed in Massachusetts on murder charges and under investigation there in connection with two more murders, is also being investigated in Florida and could face charges in shootings there, according to a report Monday afternoon.
    Citing sources, George Colli, a reporter for Hartford, Conn, television station WVIT, tweeted that police are looking into Hernandez's possible involvement in more cases.
    That report came on the same day authorities searched a lake in Bristol, Conn., Hernandez’s hometown, for a murder weapon. Divers searched the bottom of the lake and metal detectors were used on and near the shore.
    As a freshman at Florida in 2007, Hernandez and other players was questioned in a double shooting in Gainesville, but charges were never filed against him, and the case remains open. The Gainesville Police Department tweeted Monday that it has already released all of the information it has on Hernandez and any reports of new charges do not stem from the GPD.
    Hernandez is also being sued in civil court by a Connecticut man who said that the former Patriots tight end shot him last February in south Florida and cost him the use of an eye. The accuser, Alexander Bradley, testified before a Massachusetts grand jury earlier this month. Charges were never filed in that case.

AH: The Whitey Bolger of the NFL?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast