Thread: Car Service to EWR?

Default Car Service to EWR?

I have been using both Dial7 and Carmel. Both average around $80 with tax/tolls/tip from Manhattan to Newark Airport.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a less expensive alternative (other than the bus or train)? A friend recommended New Golden Horse but most reviews indicate their drivers speak little to no English. This won't work for me as I need to direct the driver to the cargo area of the airport.

TIA.

Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    I have been using both Dial7 and Carmel. Both average around $80 with tax/tolls/tip from Manhattan to Newark Airport.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a less expensive alternative (other than the bus or train)? A friend recommended New Golden Horse but most reviews indicate their drivers speak little to no English. This won't work for me as I need to direct the driver to the cargo area of the airport.

TIA.

Tipsy
    I use GroundLink (LimoRes) for my car services. Very professional. Clean cars. They have an awesome smartphone app that let's you track your incoming driver and where you are.

They'll also come in around 80 for that trip. Any decent service will. What will you save, 10, 20 maybe? For a clean car driven by someone with a button down shirt on and who has a grasp of the common tongue. 80 is fine.

Here's a few straightforward reviews:

Yes, customer service isn't exactly their forte...but it rarely is when dealing with Chinese businesses (its okay, I'm Asian so I can say this and not be deemed a racist lol) as you quickly learn if you frequent any of the restaurants or massage parlors (legit ones, not the hanky panky stuff) in Flushing.

Nonetheless, as with these other Chinese-run businesses--you are a patron of theirs for the value. $22 for a cab from Flushing to JFK (no tax if you pay cash) + $3 tip = $25. Flat rate, no worries about traffic or running the meter. No frills, usually no friendliness with the rare exception 1 / 10 times (my family and I have been using them for the past 10 years of so every time we go to the airport).
    I am pretty sure they raised their prices because it is not cheaper than a normal yellow cab anymore. And my cab driver was so rude when I asked to pay by card. He was giving me such an attitude and complaining for a whole 10 minutes, then proceeded to ask for a tip. I will never use this service again.
    I've used this car service a few times from Manhattan to JFK & vice versa. They were on time for the most part. Most of the time the people don't speak a lick of English but luckily I can try to communicate with them in my broken Chinese.

Note: Some of the cars need some interior cleaning, but most of the cars I've been in were clean.

Call the operator call center, let them know where you want to go and be picked up and time. They call you upon arrival.

If you're at the airport you should call them right when you land so they can be waiting for you if you don't have any luggage.

Tip: If you pay by cash you can save the 8% credit card surcharge fee.
    Almost all the reviewers at one site either spoke Chinese or enough to get by. I especially liked this:
    They may answer the phone in Chinese, just reply in English, they are multi-talented like that.
    Language may be the tipping point. What's Mandarin for cargo area?

My Mac says it's this (Chinese - Simplified Han):

货物区域

Lofter, I think that says: "Driver, I want to visit your sister at the brothel."

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Here's a few straightforward reviews:
    A couple of observations :

$3.00 tip on an airport trip? Maybe that is why he was so rude.

8% credit card fee? Most card companies charge merchants 2-3%. In this case, no wonder the PASSENGER is so rude.

BTW, $80 from Manhattan to EWR is pretty cheap. Most black car servics put you over $100. Even yellow cabs come in at around $80 or so on a middling traffic day.
    Last edited by eddhead; July 15th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.