Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Charles - 1355 First Avenue

What a dump.

P.S.: this lame building in the ghetto looks better than 217 W 57th will. Talk about a limbo contest.

Not the best design, but by no means the worst.

Presumably if that white building eventually gets replaced, that cantilevering and the windows just below it are going to restrict what can be built? Or possibly lead to an awesome, but wacky, design to get around it?

I hope awesome but wacky.

Default 28 Dec 2013

Rising fast! Looks very basic.
    Last edited by Tectonic; December 29th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Eek!

Midtown East and the Upper East Side east of Lexington are so, so very ugly.

I agree. It's like São Paulo (ie, a real slum).

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I agree. It's like São Paulo (ie, a real slum).
    The Upper East Side, which has the greatest concentration of wealth of any neighborhood on the planet, is apparently a slum.

Now I think I've heard everything. I'm assuming Kabul and Mogadishu are wealthy and desirable, in this opposite-land scenario?

The wealthy area (5th through Lex) is beautiful (but for parts of Lex). The comment, with which I agreed, related to areas east of Lex. York, First, and Second have rundown tenements, grimy bodegas, and crappy pubs. You can't seriously claim that that area is not dilapidated. Lenox Ave and other parts of Harlem are far more attractive.

The east side I think, in terms of development, is a victim of a different time. Maybe the T train will help with a rebirth. When the ENTIRE line is built.

Wow, talk about blending in with your neighbors.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's the kind of thing that they like over there.

The tower is not going to be the same as the base, if that's what you're thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The wealthy area (5th through Lex) is beautiful (but for parts of Lex). The comment, with which I agreed, related to areas east of Lex. York, First, and Second have rundown tenements, grimy bodegas, and crappy pubs. You can't seriously claim that that area is not dilapidated. Lenox Ave and other parts of Harlem are far more attractive.
    East of Lex comprises the majority of the population and area of the Upper East Side. It's west of Lex that's the exception, not east. And East of Lex contains tons of wealth, including many of the richest families in NYC.

And I think it's crazy to claim that area is dilapidated. Just because an area isn't 90% prewar doesn't mean it's dilapidated. I know that folks on WNY generally don't like post-1940 construction, but the Upper East Side east of Lex is among the wealthiest and least dilapidated areas in NYC. Towers along streets like Third Avenue are generally very expensive and desirable.

If you want prewar construction, there's a fair amount of that east of Lex too. The whole Gracie Square area is dominated by prewar construction.

I know the area. I lived there for many years. I think that First and Second look like crap, aNd Third is hardly impressive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast