Thread: Questions about the "not so pretty side" of NYC

Default Questions about the "not so pretty side" of NYC

Hey, guys!

I am an author from Vancouver, BC. My next book in a 5-part series is one which will take part in some degree in the streets of NYC. I am wondering if there is any way I can get a local's perspective on navigating the town? Not some tourist brochure or travel guide, but I need to know how a local thinks and moves throughout their own city.

More in particular, I am looking to find out where some of the older parts of town are (like LES) and the lesser-populated areas. What areas are notorious for being just a 'bad neighbourhood'? (For example...here in Vancouver, East Hastings is well known for being the slums)

Where would I be most likely to find less tourists and more locals? Which would be the best part of town to find some seedy alleyways? That sort of thing?

If there is anyone who can help me out and "walk me through town", I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Dave Eden
    www.nascentia.net

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

You're living about fifteen years in the past. I was in Vancouver eight years ago and we have nothing that compares to East Hastings any more. This is not the kind of town where you can walk down the street and find drugs like the old days.

There's barely an alley to be found in NYC. But there are a few streets that pass for alleys south of Canal Street: Cortland Alley, Theater Alley, Franklin Place. Many of those are now bounded by construction sites. Others have been cleaned up as the area nearby gentrifies. Not much real grit left (give it time: the pendulum swings).

Yes but we'll be hanging out in nursing homes at that point.

The New York you want only exists in movies. New York isn't a city of alleys and what's here is very clean. I used to work in real estate and I'd always get the same question from parents who live half way across the country when their kid was moving out here: "Is it safe?" It's so safe it borders on boring.

No offense but you don't really want a real New Yorkers perspective, you want some flavor to add to the narrative you already have in your mind. Everyone who moves here has that, I certainly did when I moved here almost 10 years ago. The closest thing I can say to try and give you a mindset is to imagine you live in one of the greatest, most interesting and diverse places in the world and you take most of it for granted because you still have the same shit to do that everyone everywhere has to do except there are literally a million people in your way when you do it.

Plus it's expensive.