Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LG Englewood Cliffs Headquarters

They should build it near Tonnelle Avenue station in North Bergen. There's not much there other than a mobile home park. It could really use some TOD.

Forum Veteran

oh look, skyscrapers in the middle of the densest metropolitan region in the United States, shocking

I guess Central Park is blighted beyond recognition

The same folks talking about shadows across Central Park South. I am reminded of the song "War all the time" by the band Thursday.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Can that proposed LG building even be considered a skyscraper?

I wasn't even thinking about the NYers and their view, I was thinking that what precious little unprotected open space we have is fast disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    I wasn't even thinking about the NYers and their view, I was thinking that what precious little unprotected open space we have is fast disappearing.
    This building isn't being built on open space, though. It's urban infill.

I would prefer they build even more urban, in Manhattan or Jersey City, but it's still ok for protecting open space.

That's the top of the Palisades regardless of what neat little name they tagged it with. Who voted on that and when?

Forum Veteran

That's the top of the Palisades regardless of what neat little name they tagged it with. Who voted on that and when?
    no it's not, that's why this is silly. This office complex is West of the Palisades Parkway, the whole issue is all about the views of NYers. The Palisades aren't being touched

Forum Veteran

I'm far more worried about the Meadowlands or Sprawly Western or Southern Jersey than Bergen County which is built out.

Thumbs up Height Limits Up For November Vote

Building height heads to ballot in Englewood Cliffs

July 25, 2014 Last updated: Friday, July 25, 2014, 1:21 AM

By KIM LUEDDEKE
    STAFF WRITER
    The Record

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS A referendum question asking voters whether office buildings taller than 35 feet should be allowed in the borough will be placed on the November ballot unless the Borough Council repeals a zoning ordinance that currently permits construction of such buildings.

The council unanimously approved the wording of the non-binding question this week. Officials inserted a so-called "escape clause," however, saying that the question should be taken off the ballot if a new proposed ordinance that would return the building height limit to 35 feet is in effect by Aug. 29.

That ordinance, introduced by the council earlier this month, was sent to the Planning Board for review on Tuesday, Borough Attorney E. Carter Corriston Sr. said.

The board has 35 days from the time it gets the ordinance to make a recommendation to the council, which doesn't have to follow it. A public hearing on the ordinance, which had been tentatively set for Tuesday, is now expected to be held during the council's next meeting, Aug. 13. The Planning Board's next regular meeting will be Aug. 14, but Corriston said he hoped the board would hold a special session before then.

Height limits have been a source of controversy in the borough, where LG Electronics USA unveiled plans to construct a 143-foot building as part of its new North American headquarters at 111 Sylvan Ave. Critics say it would be the first building to rise above the Palisades treeline north of Fort Lee.

LG was granted a variance in 2012 allowing it to exceed the borough's 35-foot height limit. Then, after two residents filed suit, the council rezoned the stretch of Sylvan Avenue where LG's campus is located to allow buildings of up to 90 feet on lots between 5 and 25 acres and buildings of up to 150 feet on parcels 25 acres or larger. LG's property is 27 acres.

Opponents have decried the zoning changes, which they say will open the door to high-rise development along the Palisades.

A referendum was first proposed in May by the two Republican candidates in the upcoming council election, Mario Kranjac and Kinga Zamecki.

Kranjac and other Republicans object to the "escape clause," saying residents should have the chance to express their opinion on high-rise development.

They also have raised a concern that, without a referendum spelling out residents' wishes, the council might later decide to once again raise the borough's building-height limit.

Tags: Town Government | Englewood Cliffs | Bergen County, N.J.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/buil...llot-1.1057324

They'll find a way to slither out of it. Knock off a couple acres here, dig deeper so the building's not so high there. Or something. Out of all the places, they insist on planting their a**es there when there are plenty of other places to build, I don't care whether it's technically the Palisades or not.

They'll find a way to slither out of it. Knock off a couple acres here, dig deeper so the building's not so high there. Or something. Out of all the places, they insist on planting their a**es there when there are plenty of other places to build, I don't care whether it's technically the Palisades or not.
    I think you might be right. I would love it if they would just look down the Hudson and move to Jersey City where their building would be welcomed and appropriate. I understand that its not in the Palisades Interstate Park like they keep reiterating, it would still mar the vista that was meant to be kept pristine. Hopefully LG will agree to lower the height but I think I'm hoping against hope.

I still say put it in Newark by Panasonic - Mack Cali has that empty lot next to Seton Hall, which really creates a massive gap in the skyline. Fill it in with a new LG tower.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    I think you might be right. I would love it if they would just look down the Hudson and move to Jersey City where their building would be welcomed and appropriate. I understand that its not in the Palisades Interstate Park like they keep reiterating, it would still mar the vista that was meant to be kept pristine. Hopefully LG will agree to lower the height but I think I'm hoping against hope.
    This is what I'm wondering. WHY do they insist - in the face of popular and political anger - on building in that spot? Do they own the land and on principle want to be able to build what they want? Do they think they'll be able to get much better employees, giving a huge competitive edge, if they can provide them views of NY from that spot?

I'm really lost on this one. Why muddy yourself in court - wasting time and resources - and piss off politicians as well as potentially millions of consumers when you could build just down in the road in Jersey City a great (and tall) building quickly, with no legal hassles, with good transit links for employees wanting to live in either Manhattan or Jersey, and with no risk of pissing off the customers you need and the politicians that you (sadly) need in today's overly bureaucratic / over-regulated America? I for one now think LG is a stupid, stupid company with no concern for Americans' quality of life ... and I will intentionally stay away from their products.

Default backward thinking in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    This is what I'm wondering. WHY do they insist - in the face of popular and political anger - on building in that spot? Do they own the land and on principle want to be able to build what they want? Do they think they'll be able to get much better employees, giving a huge competitive edge, if they can provide them views of NY from that spot?

I'm really lost on this one. Why muddy yourself in court - wasting time and resources - and piss off politicians as well as potentially millions of consumers when you could build just down in the road in Jersey City a great (and tall) building quickly, with no legal hassles, with good transit links for employees wanting to live in either Manhattan or Jersey, and with no risk of pissing off the customers you need and the politicians that you (sadly) need in today's overly bureaucratic / over-regulated America? I for one now think LG is a stupid, stupid company with no concern for Americans' quality of life ... and I will intentionally stay away from their products.
    This is the idiotic structure of NJ with each town having their own ratables and fighting one another. If Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Union were one city/ratable you would be pushing as much of this type of development as you could to a Jersey City, Newark or even a Secaucus, Hoboken. Until we consolidate down to a county level for taxes we always see this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast