Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LG Englewood Cliffs Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    This is what I'm wondering. WHY do they insist - in the face of popular and political anger - on building in that spot?
    Because they own the land, have strong local political support, and it meets their needs perfectly.

Why would some global corporation totally change its building plans because some NYC NIMBYs are pissed their views will be compromised? The NIMBYs need to get over it. The building is no big deal, and there are already much, much bigger buildings looming over the Palisades. There are already multiple 50 floor towers going up nearby, right over the Palisades.

I often paddle my kayak on the Hudson River along the sheer cliffs of the Palisades and enjoy the undeveloped and unobstructed views it offers when viewing from a distance - so for that reason I do not like the LG plan for a tall HQ building. That being said, I do not have the slightest sense of entitlement to have a say in what LG (or anybody else) does with their property: I am continually perplexed by the NIMBY mindset.

Actually I think it's all 'really' just about the perverse need to through a public temper tantrum: and not much at all about the building's per se.

Personally speaking, this is definitely not grandstanding or nimbyism and as I've said before, I don't care about the NYers views. What I do care about is why with all the buildable land and available spots in this state do they have to build there? We don't have much left, this ain't Wyoming. They can have their ego trip anywhere. Just because they own the land doesn't mean it's an intelligent decision to build on it. All that said, anyone can be an anti-nimby until that which they despise is being built right in front of them

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I often paddle my kayak on the Hudson River along the sheer cliffs of the Palisades and enjoy the undeveloped and unobstructed views it offers when viewing from a distance - so for that reason I do not like the LG plan for a tall HQ building. That being said, I do not have the slightest sense of entitlement to have a say in what LG (or anybody else) does with their property: I am continually perplexed by the NIMBY mindset.
    You're in luck, I don't think it will be visible from river level

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Personally speaking, this is definitely not grandstanding or nimbyism and as I've said before, I don't care about the NYers views. What I do care about is why with all the buildable land and available spots in this state do they have to build there?
    They're not building there, they're building behind there. That interferes with uptown manhattanites' right to pretend the entire state of New Jersey is virgin forest

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You're in luck, I don't think it will be visible from river level
    Your right about that up to about Riverdale on the Hudson: but I paddle from Kennedy Marina in yonkers, and can see the crest of the undeveloped Palisades cliffs all the way down the Hudson river until I get to the Riverdale and Inwood region of the Hudson River. That vista of the Palisades is all about keeping buildings below the 'tree top' line: then from a great distance the whole area still looks natural and undeveloped . This feature is what all the fuss is about "behind there" not being the designated and intended protected area: this building violates the 'intention' of the zoning regulations - without violating the 'legality' of the zoning regulation.

I can NOT change everything that 'offends' my sensibilities - it would be nice if more people understood that 'mindset' and acted accordingly.

Ultimately, ss the LG saying goes: "Life's Good".
    Last edited by infoshare; July 27th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    What I do care about is why with all the buildable land and available spots in this state do they have to build there?
    It seems like a very logical location to me.

It's right next to their existing HQ, so no inconvenience with their workforce. LG is a Korean company, and the expat Korean community is centered in the communities around Englewood Cliffs. Very short commutes for management. Most of the Korean multinationals have their North American HQ in that general area.

I mean, what would be a better location? Some place like Manhattan or Hoboken would be wildly expensive and less convenient for their employees. Maybe it would make sense if LG were new to the U.S. and trying to start up a HQ location, so the workforce would be largely new to the area. But people in company leadership aren't going to want to anger thousands of employees by moving farther from their homes if they can avoid it.

Lightbulb High Rise Ordinance Up For Vote; Does Not Effect LG

High-rise ordinance rollback returns to Englewood Cliffs Council for hearing, vote

AUGUST 4, 2014, 11:11 PM LAST UPDATED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 5, 2014, 6:51 AM
    BY KIM LUEDDEKE
    STAFF WRITER l THE RECORD

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS — An ordinance that would repeal zoning allowing for more high-rise development is going back before the Borough Council for a public hearing and final vote, after the Planning Board sent it off Monday night without comment, .

The ordinance, if adopted, would return the building height limit for all of Englewood Cliffs to 35 feet, rescinding 2012 zoning changes that raised the height limit along a largely corporate stretch of Sylvan Avenue to 90 feet for lots between five and 25 acres in size and 150 feet for parcels 25 acres or larger.

One pending high-rise development, by LG Electronics USA, would not be affected by the new ordinance, but the change would stand in the way of any further such projects.

The Borough Council had rezoned the area in response to a lawsuit filed over zoning variances granted to LG Electronics USA, which plans to build its new North American headquarters at 111 Sylvan Ave. Those variances included an exemption to the borough’s 35-foot height limit, allowing LG to construct a 143-foot-high building that critics say would be the first building north of Fort Lee to be visible above the Palisades treeline.

A state Superior Court judge upheld those variances last year. That ruling is currently being appealed by a coalition of opponents.

Planning Board Attorney Michael Kates has argued that the rezoning renders that appeal moot. He recommended Monday that the board not comment on the new ordinance because doing so might put the board in conflict with that legal position.

The council has set a public hearing date on the proposed ordinance for Wednesday, Aug. 13.

The ordinance is being hailed by environmentalists and some borough residents who are opposed to allowing tall buildings in Englewood Cliffs. LG’s plan can proceed because it was granted a variance in 2012 allowing it to exceed the borough’s 35-foot height limit.

The council introduced the newest ordinance on July 9. It was sent to the Planning Board on July 22. The board had until Aug. 26 to review the ordinance and make a recommendation to the council.

Meanwhile, the council approved the wording of a non-binding referendum question last month that asks voters whether construction of office buildings taller than 35 feet should be allowed in Englewood Cliffs. The council’s resolution on the matter said that if the newest height limit ordinance is adopted and put in effect by Aug. 29, the question will be pulled from the November ballot.

Email: lueddeke@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/news/high...vote-1.1062200

Thumbs up Back to 35.

Englewood Cliffs rolls back high-rise zoning

AUGUST 13, 2014, 10:32 PM LAST UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13, 2014, 10:38 PM
    BY KIM LUEDDEKE
    STAFF WRITER
    THE RECORD

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS — Construction of buildings taller than 35 feet will, once again, not be allowed in the borough, with the repeal of zoning that permitted high-rise development near the Palisades.

The Borough Council voted Wednesday to return the building height limit for all of Englewood Cliffs to 35 feet, rolling back zoning changes that had allowed for buildings of up to 150 feet in a largely corporate section of the borough from East Palisade Avenue to Van Nostrand Avenue.

Public reaction at the meeting Wednesday ranged from business advocates claiming the changes would “send a chilling message” to corporations looking to invest in the state, to residents expressing concern that Englewood Cliffs would become a kind of “Fort Lee North,” with tall developments rising above and marring the beauty of the Palisades, cliffs considered a national natural landmark.

“We have to maintain our quality of life in Englewood Cliffs…We’re not Fort Lee,” said borough resident Mary O’Shea.

Many of the speakers referenced LG Electronics USA’s controversial plans to construct a 143-foot building in the borough as part of its new North American headquarters, which the South Korean company intends to build at 111 Sylvan Ave. Because LG has a height variance, the ordinance adopted Wednesday will not prevent it from building as it wishes.

A Superior Court upheld that variance and others granted to the company last year. That ruling is being appealed.

Attorney Nicholas Sekas, who represents LG, said Wednesday the ordinance could potentially affect his client and reminded the council of the economic benefits the new headquarters is expected to bring to the region. The LG project is expected to generate 2,200 construction jobs, provide millions of dollars in property tax revenue annually and will “undoubtedly” increase real estate values in the area, Sekas said.

“I fear if this town follows the wrong approach, that land will remain undeveloped,” said Sekas, an apparent reference to LG’s campus.

Since LG received approval to build in 2012, public opposition to its planned 143-foot-tall building, which opponents say would be the first to rise above the Palisades tree line north of Fort Lee, has been growing. Numerous local, state and national leaders — including four former New Jersey governors, six North Jersey mayors and the head of the National Parks Service — have called on the company to redesign the building at a lower height. New Jersey Sierra Club director Jeff Tittel repeated those calls Wednesday.

In a statement before the meeting, Tittel called the changes a “triumph of public interest over special interest.”

“The town council has finally heard the message from the public and all the people demanding that they protect the Palisades,” Tittel said.

The high-rise zoning that was repealed Wednesday was enacted in 2012 after the borough was sued over the variances granted to LG. The zoning — which affected the stretch of Sylvan Avenue where LG’s campus is located — had allowed for buildings of up to 90 feet tall on lots between five and 25 acres and up to 150 feet tall on parcels larger than 25 acres. LG’s property is 27 acres.

Borough Attorney E. Carter Corriston Sr. said before the meeting that the reworked ordinance will go into effect as soon as it is published in a legal notice, which generally occurs within days after an ordinance is adopted.

That means that a non-binding referendum asking voters whether office buildings taller than 35 feet should be allowed in the borough will likely be pulled from the November ballot. The council had approved the wording of the referendum, but added an “escape clause” that stated it would be taken off the ballot if the height revision was in effect by Aug. 29.

Email: lueddeke@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/news/engl...ning-1.1066852

LG Headquarters Halves Its Height To Preserve Palisades View

June 23, 2015, by Zoe Rosenberg

LG has come forward with a new plan for their proposed Englewood Cliffs headquarters, and it's being lauded as a win from all sides. The international electronics giant revised their original proposal for a 143-foot-tall structure that would, at that height, peak out of the trees and mar the protected vista of Jersey's Palisades just north of the George Washington Bridge. A release by LG states that the building's new design tops out at 70 feet—or five stories—along its northern wing, and has a three-story southern wing. According to the Times, the new design "effectively substitutes width for height, a longer building instead of a taller one" on the building's 27-acre campus. LG says it will also employ "landscape, lighting, and other design features" to reduce the 360,000-square-foot building's effect, particularly on migrating birds.

[A rendering of the Palisades vista with LG's new proposed headquarters.

Even at its drastically reduced height, the building may still be visible along the treeline. At half the height of what was formerly proposed and double the height of nearby buildings, the new design is still being lauded as a sound compromise at the end of a two-year trial.

The new design is the result of a collaboration between LG, preservationists, and local stakeholders. LG has reached settlement with a slew of conservation groups, including Scenic Hudson, the New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs, the Natural Resources Defense Council, New Jersey Conservation Foundation and New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, that sued to stop the company from building the proposed behemoth, allowing LG to get on with securing approvals for the project to move forward.

Stakeholders like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, whose Cloisters looks out onto the Palisades, have voiced their support for the compromise,
    More than half a century ago, the Rockefeller family donated pristine land on both sides of the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey to make sure it remained free of obstructive development for the enjoyment of all future citizens. Today, LG's hearteningly responsible decision to lower the height of its planned new headquarters in Englewood Cliffs ensures that this remarkable natural wonder will endure unscathed—without inhibiting corporate expansion in New Jersey. On behalf of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, which was the original beneficiary of the Rockefeller philanthropy when first bestowed, and whose branch museum, The Cloisters, will now be able to continue offering visitors glorious views of the Palisades, we thank the community, environmental, and heritage groups who have so strongly supported this much-needed compromise. We express particular gratitude to the corporate citizens who lead LG for acting with such sensitivity to demonstrate that business interests, the environment, and culture can all continue to thrive in harmony on these historic shores.

LG Englewood Cliffs
    [official]
    LG to Reduce Height of Headquarters, Preserving Palisades Horizon [NYT]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...sades_view.php

The state appeals court on Wednesday has completely rejected the height variance. They can try again if they want to build above 35 feet.
    http://www.kentucky.com/2015/10/21/4...-variance.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123