Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did NYC demographics change so rapidly in 60 years?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Valley View Post
    I grew up in Flushing. I left in 1975 Not many Asians. I came back in 2007 and was majority Asian. Wasn't expecting to see a China Town. When I left whites were Majority. I here they're doing this all around the city. Taking once white neighborhoods and making them their own. When I visited I went to Littly Italy, I knew itwas a tourist trap but was surpised how little of it is actually left. If your white you don't care that they're taking the city and making it own? NYC. I miss the good old days where you would look down the street and see a sea of white faces. A place where everyone in the neighborhood knew each other. The best of times and the worst of times.
    I could move back and I could afford to. But why would I? It's lost it's flavor. Asians are doing to the City what Hispanics are doing to California. Our nation is losing it's white identity.
    Most likely the doing of Democrats. Always trying to push the idea of multiculturism onto us. Doubt anyone posting on this forum is white. Most likely only Asians,Hispanics, and knee-grows.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you don't have any Asian friends, lol. There's a lot of loaded statements here -

But the thing you're talking about "taking over and making their own" has been happening in NYC for generations. The Italians, Irish, Germans, Jews, (and yes the Chinese) moved in to neighborhoods in large numbers and displaced the previous populations. Italians used to be a disparaged ethnic group, yet here you are lamenting their disappearance in Little Italy

What you're not seeing, is that "these Asians" are actually assimilating quite well. The older generations may not speak much english but their kids all attend American schools, learn English as an every day language, and mingle with white kids and kids from all races. By the time they're in high school & college, they are just as american as you even if they don't look like the people you grew up with.

"I miss the good old days where you would look down the street and see a sea of white faces" - you need to get over that, what does it matter what people look like? If you just took a little effort to get over your prejudices and maybe talk to some of these people, you'd find out that they're just regular people like everyone else trying to make it through life and you might have a better perspective on things.

I grew up in Flushing. I left in 1975 Not many Asians. I came back in 2007 and was majority Asian.
    I've lived in this city all my life; in comparing 1975 and 2007 there are positive and negative changes, none of them have anything to do with Asians or any other ethnicity.

Overall, I don't see how anyone can argue that NYC was a better place in 1975.

If your white you don't care that they're taking the city and making it own? NYC. I miss the good old days where you would look down the street and see a sea of white faces. A place where everyone in the neighborhood knew each other. The best of times and the worst of times.
    I could move back and I could afford to. But why would I? It's lost it's flavor. Asians are doing to the City what Hispanics are doing to California. Our nation is losing it's white identity.
    Most likely the doing of Democrats. Always trying to push the idea of multiculturism onto us. Doubt anyone posting on this forum is white.
    Unlike you, no one on this forum is obsessed with race, so we can't make an educated statement on its makeup; it may come up in other issues. But I can understand why you want to believe that we're all non-white; that there are white people who don't think like you wouldn't fit your us-vs-them model.

I guess you would consider me white; my ancestors arrived here from Italy over a century ago. How white would you have considered them? What about my parents - sort of white? Are my children more white than me?

Where are your ancestors from, and when did they arrive here?

Ever look at yourself in a mirror and consider who you are, what sort of person is staring back at you? I am White or I am Asian wouldn't be important to me; I am a thief or I am honest would be. You've chosen to define your individuality as - "I am White."

I can describe to you what it means to say "I am honest." What does it mean when you (as an individual) say "I am White".

Mike don't forget, when the Italians "invaded" Little Italy, the same thing was thought by the previous residents, and the Italians were treated like crap. So were the Jews and the Irish. Bigotry and growing pains. This country's always had them and unfortunately probably always will, but it's not unique to us, you can blame humanity's failings for that.

PS: We can't afford to live in our own separate tribes anymore. If that bothers you to the point of blind rage, this town might be right up your alley.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/neo...n-in-nd,33966/

So it's my fault all 7/11's are owned by Pakistanis?

I'm Duth South African.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

...from Orange County. The double curse!

What is wrong with Orange county? I'm sorry you can't afford to buy a home here.

Sorry you live in a one bedroom apartment in Washington Heights.

Presh I most certainly can. I just bought here in Manhattan. I'm SO SORRY you "can't afford" to move back here. The ENTIRE CITY is mourning that you're not here with us.

Sorry you live in a one bedroom apartment in Washington Heights.
    ^ Wrong again, by about 150 blocks.

You don't need to lie to look like a big shot infront of other members.

Oh. So you bought a dumpster to live un under an overpass? Nice.

It's nice that you use your stolen laptop and bring it to Mcdonalds and use the wifi.

I'm Duth South African.
    So you emigrated here? At what age?

It's nice that you use your stolen laptop and bring it to Mcdonalds and use the wifi.
    Stop trying to make an argument by putting baseless denigrating labels on people here, or I will ban you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast