Thread: NYC Marathon 2013

Default NYC Marathon 2013

At Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Fowler Square, Layfayette Ave & Fulton St. 8-mile marker.

Cops were relaxed and accommodating. I asked, "Am I OK here?" and got a yes.

Women leaders running up from Flatbush Ave.

Ethiopians and Bronx residents Buzunesh Deba and training partner Tigist Tufa had already broken away and were several minutes ahead of the first pack. They got a great reception.

The first pack. Eventual winner Priscah Jeptoo is at the right.

The separation had grown to 3:24 by the time they left Brooklyn. Jeptoo made her move away from the pack when they entered Manhattan. She caught Deba in Central Park at 24 miles. It was the the opposite of tactics from the 2011 marathon. In that one Deba held back and made her move late, closing the distance. But she finished second in both races.

Awesome pictures. New Camera?

Looks like it was a great day. Fort Greene looks really nice.

Relatively new.

I've grown tired of the overbearing idiocy that sucks all the fun out of events in Manhattan. There was an incident over the weekend while I was taking autumn photos in the park that resulted in a bloody nose (not mine and not by me). I left me with a bad taste, so went to my roots in Brooklyn.

Fort Greene is a good place to watch the marathon. Lafayette Ave is wide enough when parked cars are removed, but still has a neighborhood feel. Music all along the street, stoops with food and friendly people.

My Brother-in-law recently ran in the Chicago marathon. Bank of America developed an ap that allowed reviewers to mark the progress of designated runners at various points along the route. Using the ap, we obtained his 12 mile time, and based on his pace projected where he might be at what time. We ended up taking the Blue line to the U of I Chicago campass at a time we thought he might arrive and hit it pretty well... he arrived 5 minutes after we did. Man, he was shocked and happy to see us. We later picked him up in Chinatown as well on the red line.

I have now been to the NYC, Boston, and Chicago marathons and they all have a different feel. At NYC, I reivewed the race at Bay Ridge on 4th ave (I think) coming off the bridge and it was very mellow. It was also quite early in the day. At Boston, it was crowded and oddly intimate but not necessarily in a good way. More provincial than neighborhoody and a little rowdy too. I kind of felt like an outsider.

Chicago was fun. Definitely festive, with the neighborhood feeling you described. Everyone was in a great mood, polite, and sensitive to the people around them. All the reviewers rooted for all the runners. Defintely a positive experience.

I've completed two NYC marathons and have mixed feelings about the race. From the controlled lack of emotion in Hasidic areas of Brooklyn to the raucous run up 1st Ave and through the short, and rather less well policed, route through the South Bronx it is a unique event and a great feather to have in one's cap.

Relative to other races though it is a monumental pain in the ass as a participant. Getting to the start was a gloomy, solitary saga followed by hours of cold, exposed waiting in Staten Island. The finish (at least when I got there) was jammed...just when you are experiencing the strange high of finishing and the physical pain is at it's worst you are shuffled/carried, feet almost off the ground, hundreds of yards until you are spat out onto CPW where you try to reconnect with a faithful supporter or two who has waited for you.

Each year it seems the organizers want to beat the participant record but for me the event reached capacity several years ago. I run many half marathons in and around the city but the full race is not one that I'm keen on trying for a third time.