Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1110 Park Avenue

Default 1110 Park Avenue

9 Nov 2013:

That will look great.

I thought that was from Toll Bros. It looks like The Touraine.

WOW! That is superb.

Anything like this design, and the Touraine, are very welcome sights in an architectural landscape overpopulated by the mediocre.

Default 28 Dec 2013

Full article posted on The Touraine thread. I'd love to see more of these buildings.

New Toll Brothers projects recapture old magic with the style of vintage NYC towers

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1721053

Who knew Toll Bros, the makers of suburban cull-de-sacs could make such nice looking, quality buildings.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's really not that difficult. Just hire a good architectural firm and tell them you want a quality design.

Now imagine if Gene Kaufman and Sam Chang produced these by the dozen every year, scattering them all over the city and the outer boros.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes. Right about when pigs start flying.

Good design and materials cost. Budget hotels don't spin off enough cash to warrant the added expense, nor do their clientele demand it. With high buck condos on the other hand, better design and materials make them sell faster and higher, and the profit margins support the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    Now imagine if Gene Kaufman and Sam Chang produced these by the dozen every year, scattering them all over the city and the outer boros.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Forget good design and nice materials. I'd be thrilled if Kaufman and company would just keep the streetwall intact and his "creativity" to a minimum.

If we get bland from him (and the poonster), it's actually a victory.

I agree with antinimby. Not every building must be an expensive work of architectural art and high quality - sadly, that's flat out unrealistic. I'd be pretty okay with budget hotel infill was at least inoffensive and restrained. For instance, when it comes to materiality, a finely crafted stone facade would not be a requirement, but it would not break their bank if they used, say, precast concrete panels of reasonable quality and with minimal yet refined details, like beveled edges and reasonably placed seams.

Default 28 March 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast